Forums > Social Discussion > Your nickname, and you, your feelings and your friends!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I've been using Yakumo for games, and online since I was 15, so.. lets just say over 10 years now wink

I never really particularly liked or felt attached to the nicknames I'd been called by others at school etc.

I'd felt at the time, it's not the nick that counts, it's what you make of it, choose something you like, and make it yours.

I chose Yakumo on a whim, I needed something, and didn't want to use my real name to play a game, I quite liked it and liked the character I took it from, it was years later I found out it's true meaning (eight clouds) which I also liked, but don't really feel it represents me any more. I really beleive in 'make it yours' but right now I guess I feel it's a little out of place, for the first time I feel perhaps it's not right for me, and where I'm going (wherever that may be..) and maybe I should try something a little different, I still sometimes attach 'unr' (from my old quake2/3 clan) to the end of it if 'Yakumo' is an unavailable choice, or if something requires a surname, but that is really a life I've long left behind now.

So that brings us to this topic, how did you chose your nick, how long have you used it? have you/do you change it? are you happy with it still? do you feel it represents you?

And to make more of a conversation of it,or if you don't want to talk about yourself, please comment if you can on how you feel about the nicks of other posters in this thread, (or any other HoP'er) and how well you feel their nick represents them smile

maybe I just feel I need a real, complete fresh start, bundled in with thoughts of maybe finally leaving where I've lived for 7 years. But with Spinners is where I want to stay smile

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168351104)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

M33k0BRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I've had the nickname Meeko since I was 15, I'm 23 now. My friends thought I could be shy and kind of mischievous as Meeko is from Pocahontas, but when I warm up to someone I'm all crazy and friendly. The name stuck and so many people call me Meeko it's not even funny.

I do like the nickname and do feel it represents myself. My real name is Jenn/Jennifer and I know so many other Jenn's it doesn't seem unique enough, ya know?

I've had people call me other nicknames but it doesn't seem to fit. Meeko fits myself, or variations of the name such as Meeks, Meek... and I've sometimes left my name behind and introduced myself as Jenn, but people always remember Meeko, so I end up using it again.

I love the nickname, and even certain family members call me it.

Another nickname I have had since birth, that only my family calls me it (I will not allow anyone else to call me it to say the truth) is Weazie. I was born with severe asthma and almost died, so my parents nicknamed me Weazie because I wheezed all the time when I breathed. I hated the name when I was younger, but I love it now, it's a part of my family and past. I still won't allow friends to call me it though smile You know Weazie the penguin from Toy story 2? I have him tattooed on my back smile

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
my friend robyn and i were heavily into Dr Seuss when we were in high school. It was also rare, if not unheard of, to see me in any other brand of shoes than Dr Martens.

Robyn Dubbed me the FoxInDocs cuz i'm foxy and i wear docs. I love the nickname, i think it suits me. I also love it shortened to just Foxy smile

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

M33k0BRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Fox in Docs, that is absolutely awesome!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Well, my name is Sam, but most of the people I grew up with called me Sambo, and it kind of stuck. The Flux part comes from an interest in complexity theory and evolution, and the idea that everything is in a constant state of flux. On top of that, I also write trance music under the name State Of Flux, so the online handle is an amalgamation of the two. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
oli seems to work quite well for me, not to worried about any of you lot, or anyone, no matter how freaky they are knowing my real name. i mean so what if a freak knows my name?
sometimes i wish id gone with something a bit more creative, (and can see the appeal of doing so if your name is something like bob or fred tongue) i used to use the names shalabi a bit and also agim, both of which i like, but i still reckon oli is cooler.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Pssst... do a search. :P

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
'Oli' sounds like a move tongue

Neon - stemming from the remanants of my glowsticking days redface

Shaolin - acknowledgement of my oriental heritage (despite not knowing any martial arts - unless you count the Glaswegian Martial Art of F-Yu) At the time I had a shaved head so the Shaolin thing was purely aesthetic.

Some remember I changed my HOP-name to 'Juxtaposeur' acknowledging my more artisitc (ie. pretentious) side and alluding to putting things where they don't belong but people complained so I changed it back (mostly when I remembered that J.A.C went to the trouble of making an engraved key-ring with 'Neon Shaolin' on it and realised that people know me by that name now). I changed it after seeing videos of Bender - another Chinese guy who DID know martial arts and I felt unworthy of having 'Shaolin' as a name. Oddly Simian commented that I WAS worthy of it after being able to do an turning anti-spin weave with doubles staff whilst hula-hoopinh (I don't remember that being done that shaolin temples)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm just using my real name.

I've been "Bobbi" for most of my life - I've given that name to myself as a little kid when I was very sick and insisted my parents called me it. Then a friend in primary school overheard, and from then it stuck all the way to uni. And since "Birgit" is quite a common name in Germany, it was always already gone when I did online stuff there.

But now in the English-speaking world it's actually a rare name (which nobody can pronounce!) so I can use it. I guess it does represent me, in the way of leaving a lot of stuff behind in Germany, including the old nickname, and having started over completely new but still as myself here smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
you have to really believe that you can make a name your own to use a random string of alpha-numeric characters. As humans we remember things much better if we can attach some meaning to them. I can remember names and poems and even games of Go but remembering phone numbers is much harder because the numbers have no meaning.

Thats why people call you Control V which I find hilarious. Doesn't the name "Control V" indicate to you that people need a meaningful name to remember?

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
To cut a long story short, I turn "rouge" at the drop of a hat redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
When i first signed up to hop i just used my email address sandyfsx cos i couldnt think of anything else and sandy was already taken. I never really liked sandyfsx its just my name with some letters after it. Then i realised id signed up to hop about 6 months before and forgotten about it so it was actually me who had taken sandy! since id used my new profile i kept the sandyfsx one and just changed the name seen on screen.
Also after going to falmouth i noticed a few people getting a bit fed up with being reffered to as their hop name so i just thought it would be easier to use my own name, luckily there arnt that many sandy's out there so i get it to myself.

"Don't do it naked!"

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i like "control V" it suits you wink

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
It works online just fine, and it's an interesting idea. I think if more than a few people did it it would become a problem though. To me you're the guy who's a random string of characters. If there were five people who were random strings I would get very confused. In the real world it's a problem too. Nobodies ever going to go "Hey eighty-two W T two G X Q seven, what are you up tonight"

You're right that I recognise the shape of your name, but can't remember exactly what it is so I have to copy and paste every time I refer to you.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
@Fine_Rabid_Dog search for what exactly, I did, the "what dose your name mean" and several others do not achieve what I am attempting with this thread tongue

Thanks for your replies, keep em coming, don't forget to comment on your HoP friends nicks! smile

eg:

The Boy G : annoyingly only able to be shortened for speech to 'boy' or 'g'. I used to think it was terrible but now I finally know what he meant by it, felt daft as hell it didn't click before. I guess it suits his Go pimp persona well, shameless though it is tongue

Neon Shaolin : it's just you man, it suits you to a T, it fits your look, your personality, it couldn't fit better unless you actually went and learnt some form of soft kung fu or something smile

Likewise, Sandy, it's not just your real name, it just seems to fit perfectly. Oli's ace too and fits similarly. If someone's pissed at being called their HoP name, at a spinners meet, then they definitely chose the wrong name and should try to change imo, that just seems karmicly so very, very wrong.

87wt2gxq7 you're certainly identifiable! and you have made it you online, it's just sadly unpronounceable, and ctrl-v doesn't slip into conversation easily either, 'control' may work but I'd keep thinking of you as the 'control subject', 'v' would be a bit sci-fi smile

Vixen - yup!

MCP - it was hers, and she made it all hers again, fits so wonderfully with the russian contact staff avatar she's using atm too.

bluecat, fluffynapalmfairy ubblove though I keep forgetting to call rob 'carwash' when I see him ubblol

Hyperlight : (made it his) awesome & toys smile

MrChutney : in the best possible sense, it's daft, he's funny, it's great, I bet he likes his curry too

a LOT of these will be biased by their HoP names being my first experience of them, but in general the HoPpers I've met have chosen, or found their way to, very well chosen names, or have made them their own well.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I've never had a nickname.

Seye is a play on sounds (I'm sure I've posted this a hundred times but...) S + eye = Si.
I've been using it as a name for DJ'ing and as a screen name for nearly 10 years now. My parents even write it in birthday cards as a bit of a joke.

Its pretty handy having a screen name that sounds the same as your actual name. It causes a lot less confusion when you meet people.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
so "seye" isn't pronounced as it would be in english then?

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
you have a pasty complexion?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

so "seye" isn't pronounced as it would be in english then?

No, although I'm used to people calling me 'say', 'seya' or various other things.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i'd call you "sey" if i was thinking in english, and "se-ye" if i was thinking in romanian, japanese or spanish ubblol

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

The Boy G : annoyingly only able to be shortened for speech to 'boy' or 'g'. I used to think it was terrible but now I finally know what he meant by it, felt daft as hell it didn't click before. I guess it suits his Go pimp persona well, shameless though it is tongue

My name here is a bit clunky when spoken. As Yakumo says it doesn't contract well.

It's not actually short for anything (contrary to my current title) and it's origins are actually a mystery to me as well. I decided to sign on to HOP about 4 months ago, but when I tried to set up an account it said "error, an account already exists with that e-mail address" so I clicked "Send me my password" and this account turned up.

I vaguely remember signing on in 2002 but I never posted or did anything with the account back then. I also don't know why I signed on as "The Boy G". It was the first time I had ever signed onto an online forum and I needed to come up with something and this is what came out.

When I did start posting I kept it because it was there and because I couldn't think of anything better. I may yet revert to just using my real name.

The only other place I have an online presence is on a go server; KGS where I am simply mattscott, my real name.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
it does state it's short for 'the boy genius' tho.

mattscott, i guess your sick of the mascot jokes now? I think it's cool tho smile

@M33k0 - the weazie thing & the tattoo sound very cool ubbrollsmile

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:

it does state it's short for 'the boy genius' tho.

mattscott, i guess your sick of the mascot jokes now? I think it's cool tho smile

I change my title on a very regular basis

last week it was "Go Go Boy"

I liked the idea of pretending the G was short for something.

i was going to change it to "very short for Genetically enhanced supervillain"

unbelievably Mascot is actually a new one to me. Nobody has ever called me that or suggested that as a contraction of my name. Now that you say it though it seems so obvious. Simple and brilliant.

I think I'll change my name if you'll allow me to shamelessly plunder your idea.
EDITED_BY: Mascot (1168268123)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
na, it popped into my head, and then I genuinely thought it was very cool, but thought it would

a: surely be taken..
and
b: be a joke you'd had done to death.

I hope it serves you well smile

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
I have a different name for each forum I use, and there are at least 6 at the mo for all my different hobbies.
Being pretty thick, and with a short attention span, I need to pick one that's specific enough to remind me what I'm doing at that time.

What's in a name anyway?
Surely people don't judge books by their covers, do they?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Hi i'm PK.

It is short for PK Ripper, guys that were BMXers in the 80's will remember what one of those are, for those that don't

Non-Https Image Link

I don't ride anymore but i do have a unicycle and i miss my old PK... oh why did i have to snap the frame

You probably know my real name but every one calls me PK even my mom some times. confused

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
My real name's akthryn and seeing as everyone's done all the usual nicknames to death my mate decided to call me Rin instead. Once I got to uni it really stuck so much in fact that when my sister asked where kathryn had gone no one knew who she was talking about biggrin. I feel more comfrotable being called Rin it feels more like me, more like my personality but no one knows me as that at work, despite my efforts, so now I'm back to kathryn again ubbcrying

(oh yeah and the 666 comes from the fact that I get so hyper sometimes my mates reckon I'm the spawn of satan :P)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
hmm, does make me wonder why not "Ryn" though? smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
it's french for no.... smile

...but that's not the reason... my real name's RhianNOn... go figure biggrin

but it's fun, because not everyone gets that even when they find out my real name, partly because to half the world i'm known as Rhi, but to the half that have known since i was minute, i have been Non... or nonny... or nonagon... or some variation thereupon...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I met you briefly in gwythian, and used to live with a rhianon so it made sense to me smile

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:

hmm, does make me wonder why not "Ryn" though? smile

Well I thought that to until people who had only seen it written down called me "rhine" that's when I started spelling it Rin :P

Page: ...