• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Your nickname, and you, your feelings and your friends!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123...5
Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted:I've been using Yakumo for games, and online since I was 15, so.. lets just say over 10 years now wink

I never really particularly liked or felt attached to the nicknames I'd been called by others at school etc.

I'd felt at the time, it's not the nick that counts, it's what you make of it, choose something you like, and make it yours.

I chose Yakumo on a whim, I needed something, and didn't want to use my real name to play a game, I quite liked it and liked the character I took it from, it was years later I found out it's true meaning (eight clouds) which I also liked, but don't really feel it represents me any more. I really beleive in 'make it yours' but right now I guess I feel it's a little out of place, for the first time I feel perhaps it's not right for me, and where I'm going (wherever that may be..) and maybe I should try something a little different, I still sometimes attach 'unr' (from my old quake2/3 clan) to the end of it if 'Yakumo' is an unavailable choice, or if something requires a surname, but that is really a life I've long left behind now.

<edit: ok, much as I'd like to deny it sometimes that whim was largely based on 'Yakumo' from an anime called 3x3eyes, I liked the character, though I wish he'd opened his eyes, he made me laugh, and kept dying in stupid ways and respawning so seemed very apt for the game I was about to play with my friends (doom or Quake 1 I forget), I also liked how protective he was of Pai, I feel that way about those I care for too>

So that brings us to this topic, how did you chose your nick, how long have you used it? have you/do you change it? are you happy with it still? do you feel it represents you?

And to make more of a conversation of it,or if you don't want to talk about yourself, please comment if you can on how you feel about the nicks of other posters in this thread, (or any other HoP'er) and how well you feel their nick represents them smile

maybe I just feel I need a real, complete fresh start, bundled in with thoughts of maybe finally leaving where I've lived for 7 years. But with Spinners is where I want to stay smile

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168351104)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete Topic

M33k0
BRONZE Member since Jan 2007

Total posts: 78
Posted:I've had the nickname Meeko since I was 15, I'm 23 now. My friends thought I could be shy and kind of mischievous as Meeko is from Pocahontas, but when I warm up to someone I'm all crazy and friendly. The name stuck and so many people call me Meeko it's not even funny.

I do like the nickname and do feel it represents myself. My real name is Jenn/Jennifer and I know so many other Jenn's it doesn't seem unique enough, ya know?

I've had people call me other nicknames but it doesn't seem to fit. Meeko fits myself, or variations of the name such as Meeks, Meek... and I've sometimes left my name behind and introduced myself as Jenn, but people always remember Meeko, so I end up using it again.

I love the nickname, and even certain family members call me it.

Another nickname I have had since birth, that only my family calls me it (I will not allow anyone else to call me it to say the truth) is Weazie. I was born with severe asthma and almost died, so my parents nicknamed me Weazie because I wheezed all the time when I breathed. I hated the name when I was younger, but I love it now, it's a part of my family and past. I still won't allow friends to call me it though smile You know Weazie the penguin from Toy story 2? I have him tattooed on my back smile

Delete

FoxInDocs
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

FoxInDocs

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1848
Posted:my friend robyn and i were heavily into Dr Seuss when we were in high school. It was also rare, if not unheard of, to see me in any other brand of shoes than Dr Martens.

Robyn Dubbed me the FoxInDocs cuz i'm foxy and i wear docs. I love the nickname, i think it suits me. I also love it shortened to just Foxy smile

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Delete

M33k0
BRONZE Member since Jan 2007

Total posts: 78
Posted:Fox in Docs, that is absolutely awesome!

Delete

Sambo_Flux
GOLD Member since Jun 2006

Sambo_Flux

Introverted

Total posts: 833
Posted:Well, my name is Sam, but most of the people I grew up with called me Sambo, and it kind of stuck. The Flux part comes from an interest in complexity theory and evolution, and the idea that everything is in a constant state of flux. On top of that, I also write trance music under the name State Of Flux, so the online handle is an amalgamation of the two. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:oli seems to work quite well for me, not to worried about any of you lot, or anyone, no matter how freaky they are knowing my real name. i mean so what if a freak knows my name?
sometimes i wish id gone with something a bit more creative, (and can see the appeal of doing so if your name is something like bob or fred tongue) i used to use the names shalabi a bit and also agim, both of which i like, but i still reckon oli is cooler.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:Pssst... do a search. :P

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Neon_Shaolin
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

Neon_Shaolin

hehe, 'Member' huhuh

Total posts: 6120
Posted:'Oli' sounds like a move tongue

Neon - stemming from the remanants of my glowsticking days redface

Shaolin - acknowledgement of my oriental heritage (despite not knowing any martial arts - unless you count the Glaswegian Martial Art of F-Yu) At the time I had a shaved head so the Shaolin thing was purely aesthetic.

Some remember I changed my HOP-name to 'Juxtaposeur' acknowledging my more artisitc (ie. pretentious) side and alluding to putting things where they don't belong but people complained so I changed it back (mostly when I remembered that J.A.C went to the trouble of making an engraved key-ring with 'Neon Shaolin' on it and realised that people know me by that name now). I changed it after seeing videos of Bender - another Chinese guy who DID know martial arts and I felt unworthy of having 'Shaolin' as a name. Oddly Simian commented that I WAS worthy of it after being able to do an turning anti-spin weave with doubles staff whilst hula-hoopinh (I don't remember that being done that shaolin temples)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Total posts: 1502
Posted:Sounds like you're psyching yourself up with a wholesale life change, Yakumo! (if you're thinking of moving, move to Brum! Lovely spinners here, fo sure wink hug )

Anyway, why 87wt2gxq7? Comes from a couple of years back when I was thinking about ideas of name, identity and meaning.

What is a name? Fundamentally it's an arbitrary string of 36 alphanumeric characters. Its meaningless and anonymous unless you attach meaning and identity to it. But is there something essential about identity, is it independent of the arbitrary name, or is identity shaped by how you refer to yourself and how other people refer to you?

So as an experiment, when I joined my first online forum, I wanted to choose as abstract and arbitrary name I could think of, to help clarify what I think about these things. I also sorta had an idea that it would be amusing if names looked like randomly-generated passwords. I was wondering if this was so, would people recognise each other by the individual numbers and letters, or would you recognise the shape and not parse every character?

So I mashed my fingers on the keyboard a few times to get a (pseudo-)random collection of letters and numbers, tweaked it a bit to get a shape that I liked, and settled on 87wt2gxq7.

do you feel it represents you
well isnt that the question Im trying to answer? wink
Short answer: yes. kinda. insasmuch as Ive got to be represented by some name or other. And its the product of my thought at the time I chose it so in a way it does represent me, at that time. But Im not really thinking about those questions anymore as I dont think they can really be answered, at least not by my little experiment. So in a way I'm not satisfied with the name. Oh well, stuck with it now!

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:I'm just using my real name.

I've been "Bobbi" for most of my life - I've given that name to myself as a little kid when I was very sick and insisted my parents called me it. Then a friend in primary school overheard, and from then it stuck all the way to uni. And since "Birgit" is quite a common name in Germany, it was always already gone when I did online stuff there.

But now in the English-speaking world it's actually a rare name (which nobody can pronounce!) so I can use it. I guess it does represent me, in the way of leaving a lot of stuff behind in Germany, including the old nickname, and having started over completely new but still as myself here smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Mascot

Mascot

enthusiast

Total posts: 301
Posted:you have to really believe that you can make a name your own to use a random string of alpha-numeric characters. As humans we remember things much better if we can attach some meaning to them. I can remember names and poems and even games of Go but remembering phone numbers is much harder because the numbers have no meaning.

Thats why people call you Control V which I find hilarious. Doesn't the name "Control V" indicate to you that people need a meaningful name to remember?

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:To cut a long story short, I turn "rouge" at the drop of a hat redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

-sandy-
BRONZE Member since Jul 2004

-sandy-

old hand

Total posts: 716
Posted:When i first signed up to hop i just used my email address sandyfsx cos i couldnt think of anything else and sandy was already taken. I never really liked sandyfsx its just my name with some letters after it. Then i realised id signed up to hop about 6 months before and forgotten about it so it was actually me who had taken sandy! since id used my new profile i kept the sandyfsx one and just changed the name seen on screen.
Also after going to falmouth i noticed a few people getting a bit fed up with being reffered to as their hop name so i just thought it would be easier to use my own name, luckily there arnt that many sandy's out there so i get it to myself.

"Don't do it naked!"

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted: Written by: the boy g

you have to really believe that you can make a name your own to use a random string of alpha-numeric characters.

Well as I said, it was an experiment.

Written by: the boy g

As humans we remember things much better if we can attach some meaning to them.

Well that's my point. The meaning is there, to those who know me IRL or through my posts. But the question was kind of 'does it make a difference whether the name-label is easily and unambiguously parseable (counterexamples: lemonkey, lost83spy, xXemogalXx), whether it's already in the reader's lexicon (counterexample: Birgit if the reader isn't familiar with German names), or whether it's easily pronouncable?'
'will having a recognisable shape substitute in this regard for pronouncability? Will it serve other functions?' (eg when he still lived in Birmingham, -sandy- once said that he no longer looked for the Birmingham spinners thread. Instead he looked for the shape 87wt2gxq7 in the Poster column)

Thats why people call you Control V which I find hilarious.

Always glad to bring a smile wink

Doesn't the name "Control V" indicate to you that people need a meaningful name to remember?

Yup. I stupidly overlooked the whole pronouncability thing when choosing the username. Oopsie me!

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:i like "control V" it suits you wink

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

Mascot

Mascot

enthusiast

Posted:It works online just fine, and it's an interesting idea. I think if more than a few people did it it would become a problem though. To me you're the guy who's a random string of characters. If there were five people who were random strings I would get very confused. In the real world it's a problem too. Nobodies ever going to go "Hey eighty-two W T two G X Q seven, what are you up tonight"

You're right that I recognise the shape of your name, but can't remember exactly what it is so I have to copy and paste every time I refer to you.

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:@Fine_Rabid_Dog search for what exactly, I did, the "what dose your name mean" and several others do not achieve what I am attempting with this thread tongue

Thanks for your replies, keep em coming, don't forget to comment on your HoP friends nicks! smile

eg:

The Boy G : annoyingly only able to be shortened for speech to 'boy' or <ack> 'g'. I used to think it was terrible but now I finally know what he meant by it, felt daft as hell it didn't click before. I guess it suits his Go pimp persona well, shameless though it is tongue

Neon Shaolin : it's just you man, it suits you to a T, it fits your look, your personality, it couldn't fit better unless you actually went and learnt some form of soft kung fu or something smile

Likewise, Sandy, it's not just your real name, it just seems to fit perfectly. Oli's ace too and fits similarly. If someone's pissed at being called their HoP name, at a spinners meet, then they definitely chose the wrong name and should try to change imo, that just seems karmicly so very, very wrong.

87wt2gxq7 you're certainly identifiable! and you have made it you online, it's just sadly unpronounceable, and ctrl-v doesn't slip into conversation easily either, 'control' may work but I'd keep thinking of you as the 'control subject', 'v' would be a bit sci-fi smile

Vixen - yup!

MCP - it was hers, and she made it all hers again, fits so wonderfully with the russian contact staff avatar she's using atm too.

bluecat, fluffynapalmfairy ubblove though I keep forgetting to call rob 'carwash' when I see him ubblol

Hyperlight : (made it his) awesome & toys smile

MrChutney : in the best possible sense, it's daft, he's funny, it's great, I bet he likes his curry too

a LOT of these will be biased by their HoP names being my first experience of them, but in general the HoPpers I've met have chosen, or found their way to, very well chosen names, or have made them their own well.

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted:I've never had a nickname.

Seye is a play on sounds (I'm sure I've posted this a hundred times but...) S + eye = Si.
I've been using it as a name for DJ'ing and as a screen name for nearly 10 years now. My parents even write it in birthday cards as a bit of a joke.

Its pretty handy having a screen name that sounds the same as your actual name. It causes a lot less confusion when you meet people.

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:so "seye" isn't pronounced as it would be in english then?

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted: Written by: Rouge Dragon

i like "control V" it suits you wink

'nk you Rougie! hug
hang on... was that a compliment or a comment about my pasty complexion? wink

In the real world it's a problem too. Nobodies ever going to go "Hey eighty-two W T two G X Q seven, what are you up tonight"

No-one ever asks anyway ubbcrying

You're right that I recognise the shape of your name, but can't remember exactly what it is so I have to copy and paste every time I refer to you.

Yupyup, hence Ctrl+V!

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:you have a pasty complexion?

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted: Written by: Rouge Dragon

so "seye" isn't pronounced as it would be in english then?

No, although I'm used to people calling me 'say', 'seya' or various other things.

Delete

Rouge Dragon

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Posted:i'd call you "sey" if i was thinking in english, and "se-ye" if i was thinking in romanian, japanese or spanish ubblol

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:I blimmin do now! Born and raised in shiny Singapore so I had a tan for 21 years. But since I moved to the UK where the sun shines for about half an hour each year I'm pastier than an uncooked pastie.

Delete

Mascot

Mascot

enthusiast

Posted: Written by: Yakumo

The Boy G : annoyingly only able to be shortened for speech to 'boy' or <ack> 'g'. I used to think it was terrible but now I finally know what he meant by it, felt daft as hell it didn't click before. I guess it suits his Go pimp persona well, shameless though it is tongue

My name here is a bit clunky when spoken. As Yakumo says it doesn't contract well.

It's not actually short for anything (contrary to my current title) and it's origins are actually a mystery to me as well. I decided to sign on to HOP about 4 months ago, but when I tried to set up an account it said "error, an account already exists with that e-mail address" so I clicked "Send me my password" and this account turned up.

I vaguely remember signing on in 2002 but I never posted or did anything with the account back then. I also don't know why I signed on as "The Boy G". It was the first time I had ever signed onto an online forum and I needed to come up with something and this is what came out.

When I did start posting I kept it because it was there and because I couldn't think of anything better. I may yet revert to just using my real name.

The only other place I have an online presence is on a go server; KGS where I am simply mattscott, my real name.

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:it does state it's short for 'the boy genius' tho.

mattscott, i guess your sick of the mascot jokes now? I think it's cool tho smile

@M33k0 - the weazie thing & the tattoo sound very cool ubbrollsmile

Delete

Mascot

Mascot

enthusiast

Posted: Written by: Yakumo

it does state it's short for 'the boy genius' tho.

mattscott, i guess your sick of the mascot jokes now? I think it's cool tho smile

I change my title on a very regular basis

last week it was "Go Go Boy"

I liked the idea of pretending the G was short for something.

i was going to change it to "very short for Genetically enhanced supervillain"

unbelievably Mascot is actually a new one to me. Nobody has ever called me that or suggested that as a contraction of my name. Now that you say it though it seems so obvious. Simple and brilliant.

I think I'll change my name if you'll allow me to shamelessly plunder your idea.

EDITED_BY: Mascot (1168268123)

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:na, it popped into my head, and then I genuinely thought it was very cool, but thought it would

a: surely be taken..
and
b: be a joke you'd had done to death.

I hope it serves you well smile

Delete

CalvinKlown

CalvinKlown

Eunathist

Total posts: 280
Posted:I have a different name for each forum I use, and there are at least 6 at the mo for all my different hobbies.
Being pretty thick, and with a short attention span, I need to pick one that's specific enough to remind me what I'm doing at that time.

What's in a name anyway?
Surely people don't judge books by their covers, do they?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted:Hi i'm PK.

It is short for PK Ripper, guys that were BMXers in the 80's will remember what one of those are, for those that don't

Non-Https Image Link

I don't ride anymore but i do have a unicycle and i miss my old PK... oh why did i have to snap the frame

You probably know my real name but every one calls me PK even my mom some times. confused

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

rin_666
SILVER Member since Jul 2006

rin_666

enthusiast

Total posts: 223
Posted:My real name's akthryn and seeing as everyone's done all the usual nicknames to death my mate decided to call me Rin instead. Once I got to uni it really stuck so much in fact that when my sister asked where kathryn had gone no one knew who she was talking about biggrin. I feel more comfrotable being called Rin it feels more like me, more like my personality but no one knows me as that at work, despite my efforts, so now I'm back to kathryn again ubbcrying

(oh yeah and the 666 comes from the fact that I get so hyper sometimes my mates reckon I'm the spawn of satan :P)

Delete

Page: 123...5