Forums > Social Chat > Home Cleaning Procrastination

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a tonne of home cleaning to do. The holidays, and copious amounts of parties we hosted, have left the place in a state of daaaaaamn!

I can't get the motivation to actually do the job (hence being here).

Anyone want to help?

(and I think next year I want cash...that way I don't have to figure out where to put it! wink j/k)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I'd love to help, but I'm having procrastination problems of my own. I've been putting off cleaning my room since I got home back in December. tongue

You could try enlisting your son and turning it into some sort of game. shrug

Good luck! hug2

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
If either of you comes up with any ideas, please let me know...cause my house looks like it exploded!!! rolleyes shrug

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
just get on with it.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
But Jo, it's so comfy here under the chenille blankie on my favorite end of the sofa! lol

Elanna...ubblol I would LOVE to enlist my son but he's wise enough now that he sees right through it being a game and heads straight into "But mooooooooooooom!" mode. He does have his chores to do which helps.

Right now I am thinking just moving is the best option. biggrin
Fyrespirit, whaddya say? We get a clean, new place together and just abandon ship? wink lol

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I have the same problem to be honest. The washing up piles up, there's vacuuming to be done.

But it's only going to get worse.

A good rule of thumb is to say "ok, I'll do 5 minutes washing up, then take a break and do 5 minutes vaccuuming"

anyone can do something for 5 minutes.

Delay gratification.

And a tidy and clean house is so much nicer smile

Deep breath, grit your teeth and do it!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OMG the washing!

I made Noah clean his room....his entire wardrobe came to the wash!!!!! And that boy is more of a clothes horse than a teenage girl! ubblol

I do the same thing, kind of Jo. When I am on the computer working on stories (which is part of what I am doing today..well, until writers mini-block hit) I listen to the tv and do the work on the commercials.

We have a new dining room table to bring in and put together...that is the *big* procrastination.

A tidy house is nice though, you are right.

Pele

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I find great motivation for cleaning in procrastinating on other more unpleasant stuff. tongue Like writing a term paper for a class I hate. Whenever I have a project or something due and I run out of things to procrastinate with (or if I'm extremely bored) I'll start cleaning. I actually scared my roommate last semester doing that. ubblol

Maybe you should wait to clean until you have something to do that you like even less. wink

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Waiting to clean makes it even harder. The weetabix ends up cemented on to the bowl. It's hard work!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What's weetabix?
I'm assuming food...we have a dishwasher for that! tongue

I did get laundry and some dishes done and some picking up.

Good strategy Elanna!!!!
Herm....what's worse than cleaning? I'll have to think on that! ubblol

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
weetbix are a wheat biscuit cereal. they are yummy.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
yeah, i'm eating lunch, then i'll prolly find something more interesting than cleaning to do... out place put's the tsunami to shame. mebbe we should all get together and go to eachother's houses and all clean together, one house at a time smile

(damn geography)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I demolished the wall of the bathroom trying to make it bigger when we first bought the house.

I would have fixed it by now, but I can't be bothered.

There's alwys something more interesting on daytime TV

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
MMM.. I hate cleaning... But what I really hate is how depressed I am whe I'm curled up, too lazy to move in a house that is covered in crap.

I just keep putting it off until I go crazy and start cleaning again... And I realise how much more difficult it is to do everything after its been festering.

My partner thinks its hilarious, because generally I'll have a big ol' tidy before the weekend (when she comes over) but if I've been sick, or just so tired from work I've woken up on the couch at midnight and stumbled off to bed, that the place is still a mess when she arrives.

*scurries off to clean the scum from the bathroom*

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ooh! I know what will make you clean!

EXAMS!

nothing makes a student house cleaner than exam season! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I find that once i start something i can generally continue and move on from chore to chore.

The ultimate way to get a house clean quickly is to find out someone is coming over soon :P Unfortunately that can often mean some...uhh..shortcuts are taken. Lol not the best principle

If i am serious and really want to get it done properly (like this coming saturday) i try to make sure that i have plenty of time so i can take it at my own pace. So this weekend will be outdoor cleaning, so will probably put some music on and just try and get in a rhythm.

Music is the key to it for me, it just seems to take my mind off of the actual chore. Unfortunately in my room its a burden since it means i probably have net access as well which means HoP is just a click away...eek

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I work from home, so housecleaning is what I do to procrastinate REAL work.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I used to do a fair amount of cleaning every day when I was a student, it was a good excuse not to get on with uni work. My housemates used to love me because I cleaned the bathroom every day and they never had to do it. Now I'm working full time so it's really hard to put cleaning into the daily routine.

I am living with the messiest boy I've ever met, he's a complete kleptomaniac and refuses to throw away anything 'in case he needs it one day'. He's been nicknamed 'stig' as in Stig of the Dump because his old room was like a landfill site. It's so impossible to get him to help! Even when he does help he won't throw out any of his old junk, instead trying to shove it all under the bed or in a drawer. Plus he's got this habit of looking through everything we clean in detail, so if he picks up a book, paper or receipt he starts reading it instead of just finding it a home or throwing it away. He drives me mad!

My mum's decided to drop by this evening, she'll arrive at our house the same time that I get home from work. Stig has promised to clean the house, but I know there's no way he'll manage by himself, so I'm at work fretting about it right now. My mum is a cleaning freak, she can see dirt that nobody else can!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Tea Fairy

My mum is a cleaning freak, she can see dirt that nobody else can!

that's what we call a hillucination... tongue

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ubblol Yeah, we keep telling her she has an obsessive compulsive disorder but she won't listen to us.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
haha motivation ideas?.. enrol in a uni course.. then you'll clean to get away from that ubblol (it works wink )

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ah, you see, I'm putting off doing my 5000 word essay, due in 3 days time, not even half way there, by cleaning my house. And appartently posting this...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

loulou27SILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
We held a massive crimbo dinner in our house before we left, didnt wash anything cause we all left it for the someone else to do, then i went back to ireland.
3 weeks later, i've come back and everything was moldy, the smell! think baileys left in a glass or the moldy gravy jugeek
gag!

took us 3hrs to scrub all the dirt of with gloves and antibacterial foamy stuff.
whoopsrolleyes

Beware it does get worse!

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Our house smells of wine gums at the moment, we found an old box of beer bottles that we hadn't quite got round to recycling after the world cup last summer.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I have 3 hours of feverish cleaning before I have to go and meet my girlfriend who is over for just over a week as of tonight...

I have been putting it off for days frown

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr_Chutney

I have 3 hours of feverish cleaning before I have to go and meet my girlfriend who is over for just over a week as of tonight...

I have been putting it off for days frown

I have a couple days worth of cleaning throughout the entire house, I'll trade wink

(however, I do now have some of it done! biggrin )

Pele