Forums > Technical Discussion > Spinning while wearing masks

Login/Join to Participate

wyldmajikBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
MY partner and I want to start wearing masks when we perform. t i was wondering if anyone had any tips of things we should look out for if we are going to start spinning while wearing masks. does wearing a mask cause any problems while spinning?

We will be using leather masks as i already sculpt these and because we thought they may be a bit more flame resistant than most commercial masks

Ultimately you understand there is order in the universe, even if there is no order in your immediate circumstances.

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
Well, leather masks wont be a burn concern unless you're using flammable paints on them. In fact, they'll provide you with an additional level of safety for the face if something does go wrong!

Unfortunately, they also do increase the difficulty level of spinning. The ones we're using actually have ears and extensions off the face (Bast and Anubis), which make certain things harder. Just practice with them on, be more spatially aware since you'll lose some peripheral vision, and try to avoid flammable paints. Past that, its totally fine, and the masks are definetly a better thing to expose to flame than your own face!

wyldmajikBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
ok so i need to avoid the horns until i either get a bit better or at least a bit more spacially aware.

Ultimately you understand there is order in the universe, even if there is no order in your immediate circumstances.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I have done a few shows with masks and i would have to agree that they are dificult to perform in.

The main probem i had was that they obstruct your perifieral vision making it hard to work with and be aware of the other people around you.

Recently wer have started using face paint insted. you can make some really good designs if you use the right stuff and it dosen't impead your spinning at all.

my tips if you want to use face paint would be:
1. get a hold of some good paint like the grimes water based stuff ( it is a litlle expensive but one pot goes a long way and it drys quickly so you don't have to worrie about smudgeing it.)

2. get some good brushes from and art store. the really soft smooth rounded looking ones work best.

3. get some baby wipes they work fantasticly for geting the paint of at the end of the show.

also once you have the paint you could do some body painting too .

hope this helps.
Jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />