Forums > Social Chat > Multiple Hopsonnalities ?

Login/Join to Participate

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Good morning

I have a questin and will try to word it as neutral as possible once again.

Some people seem to login with a certain attitude and then , they post and evolve and change which i think is one thing, but others change INTO other persona online without letting people know of it.

Please do not see this as an attack or a need to unmask anyone, just a genuine curiosity and need to understand and have a mature conversation about it

Personnaly this usually hurts or offnds me because I do not like people playing with me and my trust. It is not that easy to trust for me yet I usually do not worry too much on HOp and trust everyone is who they seem to be and indeed, having met quite a few of you, almost noone was inconsistant or really different from their online personnality which is a fcat that i thought was so breathtakingly beautiful.

I mean of course I could even one day login as someone different for fun and then quickly let the others know, and this is not what I mean here, I am not trying to be overly boring and serious making small matters big, I am just curious to have your input, opinion and i do not at all beleive the way I perceive it is THE truth...

thank you for your input

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Mysterio - Lord Of Confusionmember
65 posts

Posted:
Hiya Cass

I'm a multiple hoppsonality (not a very secret one). I can see your point about betrayal of trust, but I do think that its something not worth worrying about. I think multiples are fun; both using this one and reading (and spotting) other peoples.

Obviously having an incognito personality and talking to people that actually know you without them realising is open to misuse. But that isn't something any Multiples I've spotted have done. In fact, all the ones I know of have very very similar personalities to their creators.

I made Mysterio obviously suspicious, an obvious multiple. I made no major attempt to change my personality or the way I write, although I did put on a more enigmatic style. As a result of this and other some other cunning detective techniques a number of people worked out who I was pretty quickly (damn you coleman )

If I'd changed my personality and writing style, and pretended to be shy Rachael Brown from Scotland (I am neither female or scottish), then I'd see your point completely. It would be more like a mean betrayal of trust to anyone who tried to make Rachael feel welcome. It also wouldn't be fun unless I was a bit of a malicious power obsessive. The fun I've had with Mysterio was in confusing, not deceiving.

I'd also add that people who post on HoP for any length of time are as a rule NOT deliberately malicious or mean. And anyone obsessed enough with HoP to create multiple personalities to post with is just looking to have harmless fun. Gross generalisations? Yeah, but true

A lot of harmless fun can be mean if it gets taken too far. I'd say multiples are just fun if they're used responsibly. Disagreements? I'll hang up my mask permanently if it does upset people.

Read between the lines and you'll catch out jokers. And I reckon you'll have fun doing it

(and Cass, pm me if you HAVE to know. But remember, the answer is often less interesting than the question)

"Thats very confusing"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i wondered exactly when you would solidify from thin air before our vey eyes mr mysterio
should have guessed it would be when i least expected it

my multiple personality catcher-o-meter sits at a lofty two now
now i just have to find and dispel my own ones...

i can't say i'm that bothered by this (although i was pretty much fooled for a while yesterday).

in my book, joke logins are cool (hook's bane, mysterio et al) and are fun to have around so we can try and guess at their owners - even hop member #1 is a bloody cat (i think that one malcolm does but keep it quiet - he doesn't know i know it yet).
making a new personality is less funny but generally not hurtful to me - it wasted a little bit of my time as i had to treat that person like a newbie but my trust was not compromised.

if anyone used it to be someone else for anything other than to make people laugh, i reckon they probably shouldn't bother at all.

i'll shut up now.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I started a thread about name changing some time ago which got onto the subject of Multiple Hopsonnalities as you so nicely title them. I'm not over keen on them because of my own personal experience.
My thread is here

[ 11. April 2003, 06:53: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I don't like to change my name...but sometimes I just have to....I don't make a big secreat out of it....

It is kind of fun to discover the "new login name" of someone you hav been talking to for a year. not calling any names...(PK, Nix?, Jedi White)

I know I am guily of subtle shifts of nomenclature...but I haven't seen anything harmfull come of it.

Honestly, people call me a lot of different things, and nicknames sort of stick to me, and don't mind calling myself by those nicknames, I feel it is almost an honor to myself and to them for me to use the nicknames that other people give me. they are my friends and family, and they have a right to call me by other names. IT is a part of my personality. they see me a certain way, something about me stick out in their mind, and it is a form of enderment to give someone a name. it is a form of respect to accept that name... that is all.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For me, if you check some of my older posts, I have grown and changed alot over the course of the years on HoP, both personally and professionally. I have never felt the need to change my reg name though, because this is part of my evolution, not reinvention, and I am proud of that. Over time in fact, I have come to identify more with Pele than with my real name, and go by it more often than not now!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Several of my good friends call me santana. I even get introduced to people as Santana. I even answer to it. It has become a natural part of me.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
mutating, shifting ever changing personas...

trust in yourself.

chamelions didn't evolve for a reason.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I've always found having different persona's online very strange. Magnus is my real name and it's what I use in most forums, except where more anonymity is preferred.

In the past I've been 'dutch' (my ex girlfriend turned out to be a lesbian*), 'Lazarus' (I thought it sounded cool), and 'wizzard' (like Rincewind, not the dodgy 80's band).

But at some point I guess these online persona's became reconciled with the Real Me, and I started using my name without any mask. I think psychologically and spiritually it's kind of good to feel comfortable with this. Not that it's not cool to have a nickname, but it does sort of disassociate you from the persona attached to that nickname.

A friend who runs some online forums was telling me about a user who antagonised a load of other users, to the point where many of them spoke openly against him. This users paranoia was such that he then suggested that all these users were the same person, signing in under a different nick to hurt him. Then he registered further nicks in order to post and back himself up.

People are strange.

* How did the little Dutch boy save the town?

Magnus... pay it forward

Mysterio - Lord Of Confusionmember
65 posts

Posted:
Thinking a bit more about this stuff today.

There seems to be an assumption that people have one distinct personality. That its a basic quality of that person. I'd disagree.

I'd say a personality isn't a thing that a person 'has', but is a way of describing the way that that person acts in regard to other people.

I act very differently with different people. I talk and act around my parents in a very different way to how I act with friends, and have another 'personality' when I'm at work. In fact you could say I have slightly differing personalities for most different people I know. There are similarities between various ones, but also differences between all of them.

Which one is my true personality? I'd say its an invalid question. All of them are me, different aspects of myself which are brought out by different people or environments.

Or maybe I just need professional help

My point is that having different personas isn't the same thing as pretending to be someone you're not.

"Thats very confusing"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
what is borderline personality disorder?

on a different note:
I think I may have mentioned this in Thistle's thread but one time at band camp Finn and I were talking... I was crapping on about how flash fire was confident, pragmatic, charismatic etc etc and that I enjoyed wearing the flash fire mask cos I can utilise those traits. She promptly informed me that I am flash fire and am capable of everything she's capable of....

Does that make sense? I guess in the past I had used the flash fire image to leverage off - perhaps developing aspects of my personality as flash fire that I lacked the confidence to do as plain old sarah.

flash fire is my highest ego, and I've grown into her. Once, flash fire was the embodiment of many things that I wanted to be; I just lacked enough trust in myself to recognise that I laready was that person anyway.

ach well - t'was a sunrise epiphany at a doof; everything seems to make sense at those times

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Female typist ?... YAY....

I was reluctant and thought I would drop that post and let it sink gven what just happened to me and I have the feeling this is what gave the person the idea , but since you guys are saying really interressant stuff, i want to talk about it...

thistle thank you for pointing out your thread and I am sorry I had missed it. I remember also that about a year or more ago I posted something about Online personnality but cannot find this... I guess this is a subject that obsesses me, just as i am obsessed with "truth" and "honesty"and whether it is an illusion or not...

I agree that we are but a sum of very different attitdes. I myself think I am quite the chameleon, cause I used to be very different with parents, at work, with some friends... I know it is my strength that i can adapt to such a wide range of people, cultures, attitudes without ever getting the feeling I am losing myself.... but the more time passes, the more I find myself being more and more myself and more and more the same person with everyone, regardless... maybe that is a part of my growing ? dunno..

but these are two different things : having different sides, being moody even on one hand and willingly assuming another identity on the other one...

Re read the above post and want to than you guys SO MUCH for pointing out eloquently what i was missing / some people do the change for fun, to tickle the Sherlock Holmes in us and that is actually really something I am all right with; I much more dislike it when the d it to fool you and abuse your trust and somehow waste your energy...

where is the fine line between the two ... I guess this is what leads to misunderstandings and all. If A is genuinely just having fun and B overreacts by taking this as a bad thing, then it is B`s fault for lacking humour and yet I think A should give B a smile and they should talk about it... You are not responsble for triggering stuff inside of someone, but being a community i think it is nice to try and figure out why you might have upset someone.

Thank you very much for making my horizon broade andunderstansing what i was missing

Yes so changing your hopsonnality can be lke wearing a disguise for Carnival and that is both fun nd fine... but Carnival lasts only one day... and sometimes people think behind a new mask they can perpertrate nasty things, protected as they are behind the mask, and that is NOT ok with me... cause we have seen the result..;

Hopiung to read more input

Shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
just to let you all know...

im my intro thread...i am the one who posted as caSandra (note the only one s)...if you read the thread you will understand the context and why i did it..

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I am in agreement with Cass in that I am hurt when people pretend to be someone else to fool and confuse others. I feel my trust is betrayed and I am hurt even though I know it is about them and their issues and not me and mine. I think it goes against the beautiful nature of HoP to do malicious things.

I've had issues here with Multiple Hopsonnalities because one really upset SNOOPoi and for a while afterwards I was quite angry. However, she has said it was an experience for her to learn that not everyone online is who they say they are and that some people are motivated by things which are not good and pure. It was a valuable lesson for her to learn and I am grateful that she learnt it without coming to any real harm.

I can totally relate to what Flash said about "growing into" her name. When I was first given the name Thistle I felt that it was a false persona I could put on and take off like a coat or a mask. The persona was much more confident and controlled than I saw myself. But as time passed and I talked with a counsellor(and my consumption of MDMA reduced to none) I realised that the persona and myself are parts of the same personality and that without Debbie Thistle could not exist. Now I am much more rounded personality wise and have more faith in myself as a person.

Thank you for staring this interesting discussion

Are we nearly there yet?