Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > does anyone else think the poi forum has died?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
or is at least on life support in a vegative state,

have we really so little left to say?

there were all thease bright hard new worlds of anti-spins and wibbles and atoms.....

anyone got anything concrete and cool to share?

like richee whom i have been badgering ive posted a discussion thread in the moves forum.

sorry redface

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Perhaps, it's slowed down because recently people stopped coming up with moves and coming up with concepts/families?

e.g. Antispin - as a concept, gives you months of work to try and anti-spin every move you know, not to mention the anti-spin specific moves. Likewise to some extent hybirds which can be applied to loads of split/time moves...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Don't forget Quarter time Hybrids wink tongue

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yes, muchly, thanks.

smile

makes social make much more sense...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
I think poi (and any manipulation discipline in general) as never been up to the level that we currently have : thanks the internet, videos and various meets
and never before have I had so many ideas to combine
>>>
So the question is more:
- how many cards do you want in your play ?
- how many cards do you need to play

I dont think we need more concepts ... what we need is people that develop their own style, combos, sequence
simply PLAY
... and DANCE BADLY

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
What I want to see is that crazy sect of semi-hidden sports that has already taken poi to an intense level and most of us just dont' really know about it. Kinda like when a contact staffer is introduced to baton twirling vids :P. Anyone have the links to open our eyes?

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
I will soon, im working on my own style, might be fresh, might be stupid, i cant wait to get crossers and flowers now smile

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

i'm waiting for the first negative space wibbler, myself wink

i have footage of oli doing just that at play, recon it will make the dvd biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Suibom

What I want to see is that crazy sect of semi-hidden sports that has already taken poi to an intense level and most of us just dont' really know about it. Kinda like when a contact staffer is introduced to baton twirling vids :P. Anyone have the links to open our eyes?

Peace,
- Sui

Sadly, the only thing I currently know of remotely like that, the crowds go mental for a 3 beat weave, let alone repeat crossing.
though I'm the only person I've seen trying to bodyhop poi so far, but I can't do it, yet rolleyes
I'm sure I could have got there if it wasn't destroying MCP's appartment ubblol

Chinese paired 9 section whip is what I'm thinking about smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=iMZNAB9MeEc

35 seconds in, is done with doubles too, same as a low wave , bar it being flat on your back smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
actually, thinking about it some more I've never seen anyone doing it with a windmill like trick, they just keeping one in front, and one underneath if doing it with two.

clearly I must work on this and tour china biggrin

though I'd get beaten up for dishonouring their martial arts by learning whip stuff without the martial art behind it ubblol
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168443406)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

though I'm the only person I've seen trying to bodyhop poi so far, but I can't do it, yet rolleyes

Here's my big fat pin for your cosy bubble:

2:18

sorry hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
no, I have to watch it then my '*I* have not seen' comment stays smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
succumbed..

oo, what a bunch of drama queens smile
And I can't beleive they added fuel to the poi, live, with no unlit canned spin off with a crowd like that.

after all that, it's not a body hop, he's just rolling ubblol

ta tho, you've given me the motivation to work on it properly smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
There definitely has been a slowing down in discussion recently.

I think that a lot of the main areas of poi have been mapped out, discussed, argued about, hypothesised about, played with, etc etc,

Perhaps this is just another chapter, one that doesn't rely on huge debate and conceptualisation, but perhaps is more to do with practice and understanding.

You know how when you spin there's times when you learn a heap of new ideas, and there's times when you learn nothing new, but concrete all that new stuff in place. AKA 'The Lull'

Well perhaps what we are seeing is this effect on the whole community.

I'm fairly confident that the majority of areas of poi have been discussed, sure there's lots more stuff to come up with but there's not so many completely new concepts to come up with. I mean we've taken a lot of inspiration from juggling, yoyo, meteor, contact things, club swinging and so on.

I know someones gonna disagree and think there's still heaps to do with poi, and there is, i just think that a large ammount of new stuff will fit into the structure we already have, i mean there's only so many ways to mathematically alter a sine wave. You can use lots of different modifiers together, like an isolated anti-spun inverted weave, but that doesn't make it a funamentally new weave.

ramble ramble

conclusion = new phase, no bad thing smile

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Duh.

It's winter.

It always slows down this time of year because of the weather.

Then in spring when it warms up everyone is outside trying crazy new tricks.

And don't give me that "Opposite Weather in Australia" crap again becuase that's obviously just urban legend.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Or maybe it's the law of diminishing returns.

I think that's what did it for me.

The excitement of getting your 54th move just doesn't match the excitement of getting your first.

I wonder if that's what separates obsessive people? Are they still getting the same dose of dopamine that they got when they started?

*shrug*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Or maybe it's the law of diminishing returns.

I think that's what did it for me.

The excitement of getting your 54th move just doesn't match the excitement of getting your first.

I wonder if that's what separates obsessive people? Are they still getting the same dose of dopamine that they got when they started?

*shrug*

I agree that learning your 54th new move is not anywheres near the same abount of excitement as say when you learned the 3-beat weave but I think as spinners progress other goals, like discovering new concepts and variations on existing moves, creating a unique performance style, or pushing one area of spinning to it's limits, take precedence and meeting these goals can be just as rewarding as learning those first few moves.

So I guess I wouldn't say these people (like me) are obsessive but are only finding the inspiration to continue practicing in other places.

Peace, Love, Circles

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Duh.

It's winter.

wink wear a coat... dont play outside naked nyc, you will catch your death. hug have a hug to keep yourself warm, then take yourself off to learn your 55th move. ubbidea then come back and tell me all about it cos it's probably some thing that i cant do... cos i've got poo! frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Maybe cos it's winter, maybe because January is always a bit quiet...

Maybe because moves were discovered really fast for a couple of years, and now it's settling down so everyone can actually practice and learn them.

Maybe people are starting to dance bounce

But replying to a Durbsian comment a couple of pages back (and it was read really quickly, so sorry if I mis-interrpreted)... does body movement and presentation necessarily mean performance?

Isn't it possible to dance and present the object for manipulation in a nice and clean way without the final aim of the practice being performance? (since that word seems to be a bit socially unacceptable, occasionally)

shrug

smile

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

does body movement and presentation necessarily mean performance?

Er, to me, body movement doesn't, presentation does - but I don't mean performance as in on-stage (or whatever) just in terms of being aware of how your spinning looks to other people.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: