Forums > Other Toys > So - hackysack - whats your view?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
after a weekend with the boy G me and meg have been arguing about this artform..........

whilst i recognise is does require skill we cant seem to pin down the argument we keep having on msn so a little help would be appreciated:

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
2 better mottos for you: perfect practise makes perfect, or practise makes permanent, but not perfect.

Here maybe you can hear the click as the ignore button presses... to oblivion and beyond!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mark HustedGOLD Member
177 posts

Posted:
I rest my case.
Mark

Keep it Lit....

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yay, meg makes me burst out laughing irl again ubblol
Everyone hit on morris dancing, they only exist to create this national pastime smile

@stout bit cheeky of me but you made me giggle a bit too, TKD's got a bad rep for the short active career of it's practitioners because of joint abuse.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

@stout bit cheeky of me but you made me giggle a bit too, TKD's got a bad rep for the short active career of it's practitioners because of joint abuse.

Really? I thought it was because they got beaten up any time they tried to use a spinning kick in real life. There's impractical martial arts, and then there's TKD.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hey, morris dancings great for novelty value, we have a troupe that passes through here every year, and I swear, none of them are sober when they perform.

Yakumo, interesting point about TKD. I did three years of ITF TKD and chronic joint injuries were pretty common.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
mcp - I wasn't going to mention such things as I didn't want to pull this even more off topic than it was already heading, and I'd get a bad rep for making all conversation veer towards my chosen martial arts bias, TKD's officially a sport, goju's balls kicking, eye gounging self defence smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
better extreme violence than the idea of Meg (or anyone with limbs) in a unitard or gaytard...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mark Husted

TO MCP: Smoke a bowl because I think I almost heard the stick in your ass snap.

wow, what on earth is going to be on the next L.A.B vid? eek wink

I don't feel negatively towards footbag, at the moment the only thing which interests me is the crossover with sock poi, just cos its looks quite fun.

But if I had to choose between watching footbag and chinlone, chinlone all the way! I mean a sport where the object is to do cool stuff and impress people to win is by its very nature going to be much cooler to watch.

I guess the problem with saying the chinlone ball is easier/harder than footbag is, as Mark has pointed out, that they're completeley different sizes and textures. I mean I would expect footbag to be easier to balance, but the chinlone ball to be easier to kick, but then seeing as I've never done either, I can't really say for sure.

I think we need more videos for comparison, but sadly my internet connection atm is rubbish so someone else will have to do that

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
LazyAngel, we're talking about two different types of footbag play, and chinlone. We've got the chinlone video, and we have a video of what's known as freestyle footbag.

What we don't have is a video of a second type of footbag game, which is commonly reffered to as hacky sack. This type of game is the one people are most familiar with, typically teenage boys just kicking a bag around. A group like that is called a hack circle, and if you look closely, not all hack circles are the same. You'll find all kinds of people kicking a bag around, usually young as footbag's a thing most people grow out of.

We don't need a video of this type of play, unless you were in it, it would be boring to watch and this is where chinlone trumps hacky sack in anyone's opinion. It's the freestyle footbag as a spectator sport vs chinlone that's under subjective scrutiny.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I automatically assumed we were talking about freestyle footbag: my point about the videos would be more looking at the similarities/differences between the two

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

Hey Mr Majestik, congrats on making it to the Australian championships.

ubblol i meant i watched the finals, i would've liked to compete but i was working at a festival when they held trials, i would've lost anyway lol.

Written by: stout

But the difficulty issue is completely irrelevant

i disagree, meg clearly stated that she thinks footbag is easier than chinlone, i completely disagree.

Written by: mcp

I think hacky sack is the easy version of chinlone. Chinlone is the absolute win.

Is it a ridiculous thing to suggest? I thought it was only done by white teenage american boys in small cities towns originally. Cos I'd only ever seen videos of and heard about teen white boy footbagers. Now I discover it's also done by australians.

....umm yeah, well chinlone is dumb because only asians play it....(i find this statement comparable in ridiculousness to what you've stated about footbag)

A few videos on hop will show that spinning isn't stuck to one demographic.
And you've yet to show any evidence that it's done by anyone else, so I don't see how it's a ridiculous thing to suggest.

actually, i've already posted a video of a japanese australian playing footbag, but if you insist, try looking around HERE.

its just plain rediculous to say one sport is played by one social demographic, only the italians played soccer when it was first invented, and now look at it! would you have been insulting soccer when it was invented because it was only played in the country it was created in?

I think chinlone is better because it's graceful, it's a national past-time with traditional roots, and is a team game with non-traditional scoring.

and how does a sport become a national past time without beginning somewhere? this sounds like you're saying "its big and popular so i like it!". and whats non traditional scoring? non-Anglo/Celtic/European scoring? imho i'm getting the impression that the only reason you like chinlone more than footbag is because it comes from a culture vastly different to your own and therefore has a more 'exotic' appeal.

If it was endurance, it would be for more than the length of a song. I don't think there are any 'precise' athletic sports. All the throwing jumping and other events have a reasonable landing area.

obviously you dont know how tiring jumping around and shifting your bodyweight every few seconds can be, running along a road for an hour is a lot simpler than playing two minutes straight of freestyle footbag without dropping the bag. a reasonable landing area you say? yay... i can throw a object that way and get a medal....i'm a real athelete... umm the precision and endurance required for freestyle footbag becomes a combination that i believe laughs at things that you consider to be atheletic like running along a specifically designed track, or throwing a specifically designed stick.

surely with a big ball you have to make bigger movement to get your leg over it etc... I don't know if there is a solo version of chinlone, other than for display.

exactly, you make one revolution with your leg around a chinlone ball, where as you make three revolutions around a footbag, i dont see how one revolution around a big ball is any harder than three around a smaller sack. especially when at the end of the chinlone one they simply lift their foot to put it in the air again whereas in footbag (dispite your experiences) they have to cradle it onto their toe.

I dislike activities or so called 'games' based on modern made up toys, like footbag, subuteo, yo!-stick, and whatever else. And yes I do dislike both poi and staff for some of the same reasons too.

so not only do you have a fondness for other cultures, but you have a fondness for historic activities?

Yeah, I don't think you have to set out with the goal of impressing others just to look/be graceful in an activity. Grace is it's own reward when doing something.

i agree completely, i feel awesome when i get a graceful run playing footbag. smile

Written by: LazyAngel

But if I had to choose between watching footbag and chinlone, chinlone all the way! I mean a sport where the object is to do cool stuff and impress people to win is by its very nature going to be much cooler to watch.

haha, shall we turn this into the technical Vrs Dancing twirlers thread?

chinlone is much more similar to a circle kick than it is to freestyle footbag, except its competative.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

obviously you dont know how tiring jumping around and shifting your bodyweight every few seconds can be, running along a road for an hour is a lot simpler than playing two minutes straight of freestyle footbag without dropping the bag. a reasonable landing area you say? yay... i can throw a object that way and get a medal....i'm a real athelete... the precision and endurance required for freestyle footbag becomes a combination that i believe laughs at things that you consider to be atheletic like running along a specifically designed track, or throwing a specifically designed stick.

are you saying footbags aren't specifically designed now?

I can jump about for hours with no problems but can barely run for 10 minutes without sever difficulty, the breathing mechanics are very different, as is the body stress, only thing that still triggers my asthma frown

anyway, I think your drifting, MCP's saying she (subjectively) doesn't like it, she hasn't actually said she thinks it's utterly unworthy of ever being called a sport.

Written by:

exactly, you make one revolution with your leg around a chinlone ball, where as you make three revolutions around a footbag,

I'm sure I saw a double rotation in that vid somewhere when I last watched it, and who's to say some anti gravity nut bar somewhere can't do 2 or 3 just because it's not in that video, or any other tongue though it would probably start having grace issues.

anyway, enough pedantry and jibes, I'm more interested in the lack of comment on the health implications?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Majestik, well at least you got the inspiration of attending smile

Yakumo. There's no pedantry here... footbags' not going down without a good fight.

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Hooray for MCP1 and her harsh ways. I think that there's not enough put downs and such on these forums. Too many hippies and too much of this modern "Your opinion is equally valid stuff".

Not enough people prepared to say "Your opinion isn't equally valid, it's wrong. Just plain wrong".

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

Yakumo. There's no pedantry here... footbags' not going down without a good fight.

exactly, i refuse to let someone who is so good at their chosen skill put down another art form.

Yakumo, i'm not saying footbags arnt specifically designed, i'm saying i think its silly for mcp to be calling running and javilin "real" sport and footbag not. they all require skill of various sorts dont they? they all have specific instuments to use to participate dont they? they all have a n area with suitable conditions in order to play dont they?

you can jump about for hours? i'm not talking just jumping around, i'm talking precise, fast leg movements, during which you're carrying the entire weight of your body mostly on one leg, for every second of how ever long you go for. in this you can see vasek performing a "shred 30", in which you have thirty seconds to do the best and most tricks you can, you get a better trick ratio for not doubling up on the same tricks. he managed to do thirty tricks in those thirty second, thats one per second. imagine two mintues of going flat out and you'd see that the combination of speed, precision and jumping are definatly going to increase your heartrate and change your breathing patterns.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mascot

Hooray for MCP1 and her harsh ways. I think that there's not enough put downs and such on these forums. Too many hippies and too much of this modern "Your opinion is equally valid stuff".

Not enough people prepared to say "Your opinion isn't equally valid, it's wrong. Just plain wrong".

its not too many hippies, just lots of like minded people. smile

and i do hope you're talking about me saying that mcp is plain wrong when it comes to footbag, cause you'd be completely right wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

i disagree, meg clearly stated that she thinks footbag is easier than chinlone, i completely disagree.

I didn't state but implied, that chinlone would be easier with a footbag and without style, and footbag would be harder with a chinlone ball and grace. Or to put it another way, to do the same movements as in chinlone with a footbag would be easier.

Is it a ridiculous thing to suggest? I thought it was only done by white teenage american boys in small cities towns originally. Cos I'd only ever seen videos of and heard about teen white boy footbagers. Now I discover it's also done by australians.

....umm yeah, well chinlone is dumb because only asians play it....(i find this statement comparable in ridiculousness to what you've stated about footbag)

Hardly. Saying that one subsection of a population does it isn't comparable to saying only one population does it. Sorry.

Lets put it more clearly: I think it's retarded, and clearly it's only done by a population group that I think are immature, and liable to do stupid things, and have no cultural games of their own to play or are unwilling to play them and instead have to invent this useless, ugly activity and compete at it.

In my mind it's close to adults playing with dolls. Except in matts case, cos he's doing it in a juggling sense.

its just plain rediculous to say one sport is played by one social demographic, only the italians played soccer when it was first invented, and now look at it! would you have been insulting soccer when it was invented because it was only played in the country it was created in?

why? do the people that play something not reflect on the sport itself? I don't like football as a game, and subsidiary to that, I don't like the people that play it professionally.

I would think that being played globally means that a game has global appeal outside of it's country and therefore it's appeal is greater than the cultural / traditional reasons for playing it in it's home country. Like Go or Chess. I wouldn't particularly want to see a world american football league either, because I don't particularly value that sport. And I don't think freestyle footbag has much appeal out of the demographic I stated, because it's so ugly and ridiculous.

and how does a sport become a national past time without beginning somewhere? this sounds like you're saying "its big and popular so i like it!". and whats non traditional scoring? non-Anglo/Celtic/European scoring? imho i'm getting the impression that the only reason you like chinlone more than footbag is because it comes from a culture vastly different to your own and therefore has a more 'exotic' appeal.

I think I've already stated why I like chinlone better than footbag, but feel free to try and use crappy arguments. It might succeed in winding me up, you might get lucky.

obviously you dont know how tiring jumping around and shifting your bodyweight every few seconds can be, running along a road for an hour is a lot simpler than playing two minutes straight of freestyle footbag without dropping the bag. a reasonable landing area you say? yay... i can throw a object that way and get a medal....i'm a real athelete... umm the precision and endurance required for freestyle footbag becomes a combination that i believe laughs at things that you consider to be atheletic like running along a specifically designed track, or throwing a specifically designed stick.

Oh I don't do I? I suppose I've never done gymnastics or dance or parkour or athletics or cross country running or pylometrics training? Damn, I love it when people tell me I obviously don't know things.

hey, I'm gonna have a go! You OBVIOUSLY don't know what a real sport is, or what real exersize is. While we're here, you obviously don't know what grace is, or even how to control your own body.

There, how does that grab ya?

About the only thing that footbag and athletics have in common is that they both seem to destroy the participants body, but athletics does it for a purpose and knows how to train bodies to avoid that and to maximise the careers of the athletes, whereas footbag just doesn't care.

so not only do you have a fondness for other cultures, but you have a fondness for historic activities?

Kinda related too, since most other cultures are older than mine.

You wanna know why I like tradition and old activities? Well I'm going to tell you anyway. Because it means a lot of people have put a lot of thought into that activity or game. Lots of stuff is known about it. Go for instance. Sooo much better than chess in many ways. Or ballet, somebody or many people put a lot of though and work into finding the most beautiful and pleasing ways the human body could move. And ballet isn't even that old. So generally traditional activities are better because they have intention and purpose behind them, either in their creation, or in the doing of them. Go has been played for thousands of years by millions of people. I consider this like vetting. Go must be a good game, otherwise why would these people have spent the time doing it? And those people weren't a social group I disliked, they were a entire country, all ages of people, and then it spread to the entire world, because it was good. Possibly because it had more years than I can theoretically live for, being tweaked and improved and considered and thought and written about. But then again, I thought that was fairly obvious. Obviously I was wrong.

i agree completely, i feel awesome when i get a graceful run playing footbag. smile

Wow, well done. Now why don't you try to actually do it gracefully, instead of just feeling it? smile

Written by: LazyAngel

haha, shall we turn this into the technical Vrs Dancing twirlers thread?

why? Everybody agrees I think that unless you're deeply interested in the technical aspects of something, that a dancey thing would be more fun to watch.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:

I didn't state but implied, that chinlone would be easier with a footbag and without style, and footbag would be harder with a chinlone ball and grace. Or to put it another way, to do the same movements as in chinlone with a footbag would be easier.

umm you said "i think hacky sack is the easy version of chinlone. Chinlone is the absolute win." how is that not a statement? still, chinlone wouldnt be easier with a footbag, it would be impossible because they rely on the ball bouncing, the blind knee kicks they do just wouldn't be possible with a footbag. yes footbag would be harder with a chinlone ball, but it would still be played exactly the same way.

Lets put it more clearly: I think it's retarded, and clearly it's only done by a population group that I think are immature, and liable to do stupid things, and have no cultural games of their own to play or are unwilling to play them and instead have to invent this useless, ugly activity and compete at it.

this is just plain insulting. and basically if that is your attitude toward the sport of footbag, then i dont see any reason to discuss it with you any more. unfortunatly i think its wound me up enough to possibly come back later and argue pointlessly some more, but right now i have to go to bed.

i think footbag is as useless as contact staff smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

yeah but happily, it doesn't cause joint damage, does look nice, it can be used to perform with, it's done by a diverse range of people, a good deal of whom I respect and what's more, you have no arguments to back up your statement.

biggrin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
i'm just adding fuel to the fire here but some of my comments have been taken the wrong way.

This is my fault I didn't provide enough context.

Written by: Yakumo

anyway, enough pedantry and jibes, I'm more interested in the lack of comment on the health implications?

I meant that's enough of them coming from me!!

you can jump about for hours? I'm not talking just jumping around, i'm talking precise, fast leg movements, during which you're carrying the entire weight of your body mostly on one leg, for every second of how ever long you go for.

oh big whoopy, now try doing it as long if not longer, when it's not a little ball your trying to catch, but precise locations on a person, with all four limbs, and they're trying to stop you, and trying to do the same thing back, HARD, predominantly to your own personal collection of hacky sacks biggrin ubblol

lets drop all prext of 'you can't do' or 'you can't appreciate this because your not fit enough/pysically capable enough' your making gross assumptions.

and I'm going to re-itterate : MCP's saying she (subjectively) doesn't like it, she hasn't actually said she thinks it's utterly unworthy of ever being called a sport. she just thinks other things are better.

that's assuming I haven't missed something in the thread.

so I think you've drifted to an argument with no basis for it happening (being it is/isn't a sport, or demanding, or whatever)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yakumo, I still don't see you being pedantic, we need to exchange technical information, so that we're all on the same page, or at least reading from the same book. I'm surprised that the martial artist in you can't see footbag for the damn good workout that it really is.

Sometimes, we just need to lift the HoP "veil of niceness" and give 'er, especially when subjective opinion is backed up by ridiculous attacks as a means to justify that opinion.

MCP, nobody's denying you the right to dislike footbag, but if you're going to fire away with both barrels, surely you expect it to fire back.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Trust me when I say I really haven't been very nasty about footbag yet. Well when i say trust, I'm trusting you don't actually want to hear it.

And if I did expect it to fire back, I at least expect real shotgun rounds to be fired, and not misfiring blanks.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I wasn't saying it wasn't some kind workout, but you guys were comparing it to other workouts, and to the abilities of the other posters here, of which you didn't actually know.

I came to the thread to tease Matscot a little and have some fun, knowing full well I think it is a funky thing to do that can look really skilful and impressive. But you guys have made me think deeply about how I really feel about it now.

I didn't paraphrase you and say 'good workout' in the above as...well, just yesterday you were agreeing with me that it is physically damaging.

Written by: Stout

True Yakumo, long term, footbagging can do alot of damage. Out of the group that I used to play over the net with, and all of whom went to the world's in SF in 2004, every one of them is complaining about knee and hip problems.

Factually :

It is a skill (catching in itself is a skill, this is obviously several magnitudes harder), I can see 'godamn he is good at that' clearly.

It's harmful to learn

It has some of the merits of a sport that could even theoretically be taken to the Olympics (were it not for my major complaint below).

Subjectively:

It looks 'stupid' tongue

It, by it's very nature, forcing an unnatural range of motion, and at speed which compounds the problem, is all it needs to condemn it in my mind. In the sense of I could never practice, promote or encourage it.

All things are harmful to excess, or can be harmful when pushed in competition, but they are not all inherently harmful by design, ie when practised carefully (warmup/warm down, train but don't cripple yourself), on your own, not impacting, is it safe. I feel this is inherently not safe in it's nature.

you may say that's funny being so picky about health coming from a fire toy user, but we ALL KNOW that fire is not good for your health, and I light up rarely.

footbag's health issues are consistent through all practice.

Subjectively comparatively:

It doesn't look as cool as Chinlon.

time for me to get off of soapbox, I think this has hit the point of circular arguments a while back, and after the belly baby thing I don't really want to be in those on HoP..

I'm out peace hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Footbag is firing back, with double 'ought buck, MCP it's just not making it through your armour. And I do trust you.

Yakumo, ok, we agree that footbag is physically demanding, and I also agree with your reasons for not wanting to promote it due to the long term health consequences, fair enough. But the demographic we're dealing with ( young males ) typically consider themselves bulletproof. You may warn footbag practitioners about the potential damage they're doing to their joints, but chances are, they won't listen. I wouldn't have had somebody warned me when I was 18, but being a relative old fart in the footbag world, I had more sense. I actually stopped playing when something started to hurt.

We could list other sport that carry the same risks, mogul skiing for instance, and we could also bring in the dangers of getting an enlarged heart from being a child athlete however topics like those deserve their own thread. I'm not trying to downplay your concerns, merely, suggesting that those concerns will probably be ignored by the "immortals"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:

yeah but happily, it doesn't cause joint damage, does look nice, it can be used to perform with, it's done by a diverse range of people, a good deal of whom I respect and what's more, you have no arguments to back up your statement.

i think footbag does look nice, i guess thats a matter of opinion. footbag can be used to perform, my friend gets paid about $400 AUD for a five minute demo. i think freestlye footbag is mostly played by younger people because of the high entrance standards, high training demand (if you want to be good), and you have to be very fit to compete. which statement do i have no arguments for? or perhaps it wasnt a statement like yours wasnt tongue

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

i think footbag does look nice, i guess thats a matter of opinion. footbag can be used to perform, my friend gets paid about $400 AUD for a five minute demo. i think freestlye footbag is mostly played by younger people because of the high entrance standards, high training demand (if you want to be good), and you have to be very fit to compete. which statement do i have no arguments for? or perhaps it wasnt a statement like yours wasnt tongue

well thanks for stating you have no idea how to argue. Guess I won't bother with your posts in the future.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i have no idea how you think i need arguments to back up my statement that "i think footbag is as useless as contact staff". i was simply stating what i think, i dont need to back it up to prove it to myself. if i wanted to try to convince you that it is then i might have to but i cant really be bothered since you've made it perfectly clear that your mind is already made up.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
A couple of requests:

1: can you find a graceful footbag vid?

2: can you prove that footbag does not damage the joints of your body?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
1: in my opinion yes, because i think footbag does look graceful. if you watch the movements of the bag being woven in and around the legs then i think it looks graceful. when you watch someone doing contact staff you dont think they're retarded cause they wave their arms about so much do you? no, you look at how nice the staff moving around is.

2. i never said it didnt. thats a topic other people have brought up and i havent touched because i'm sure at freestyle level people are going to injure themselves, just like you would playing other sports like tennis or squash which involve a lot of strain on the leg joints.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
to be honest, I think some people do not look graceful when doing contact staff, I only think that a few people look *really* graceful. I can appreciate the difficulty of the move, as you say, but what I was really asking was whether you could post a video of a footbagger actually looking graceful? or what you consider to be graceful?

also, can you post a few links to good footbag sites: anything on health information would be good to see?

I know this sounds very demanding but,

a) my internet connection is sloooooooooooooooooooow
b) I think you have more experience of footbag than I do!

Page: