Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
So I finally decided to write something on my poi site and I thought I'd share smile
It's not perfect and I'd like some constructive criticism.. But I hope you'll enjoy this wink

What can you do with poi?

Poi. Two simple balls on a cord or in a sock, a little toy that got already thousands of people addicted. It already exists for so many years and everyday, people push the limits of poi playing into incredible heights.

But what exactly are the possibilities?

Well, naturally, you can SPIN them.

Same or opposite direction. Same time or split time or anything inbetween. Also, same speed or at different speed.
You can spin them in fornt of you, on your sides, over you or behind you. Between your legs and arms. The poi can spin anywhere and any direction in any point your hands can reach. In any direction you like. And if you dont like the direction, you just change it.
Poi spin around your wrist. But your wrist and your arms can move just like your poi, same direction or in a different direction relative to the poi, making big circles. Or small circles around the poi.
Because the string(sock) isnt very hard, the poi wrap. Sometimes unwanted. But usually it's nice to wrap them around some parts of your body, either fully or just a part of the string.
The poi can also wrap around themselves. Whether they will keep spinning when wrapped, where you can do almost anything like when they are unwrapped, or they end up in a nice little knot looking just like if you messed up. But you didn't, you're an expert right..?:) You can also play around with this little knot, much like a diabolo and then unknot the poi in style.

While spinning, you can also STOP the poi..

..essentially anywhere. Towards the ground, opposite the ground, horisontally and anywhere inbetween.
Stopped poi can stay stopped, noone will care. You can swing them anyway you want, around your body and wrap them like spinning poi.
They don't have to be stopped both. Even while wrapping. Into each other.

Because, mostly, the poi aren't welded to your hands, you can THROW them.

A poi looks much like a club so you also throw them much like a club. Only a bit slower. In front and behind your body, around your hands, you name it. Throw one or both, even more if you feel up to it.

Poi is never serious stuff. You can have much fun while doing more ALTERNATIVE tricks.

For example, you don't have to hold the poi by the handle, you can also hold the string or the ball making a loop. You can catch thrown or spun poi into it, you can also controll the other poi with the loop.
You can also tie the poi. Make magic knot tricks. Make yourself a tie or something:)
Because spinning is naturally more fun when you are not alone, you can throw poi to other people. Hand them to other people. Or just keep them and try various patterns in pairs.

As you see, possibilities with poi are really countless. Anyone can find things he likes, not only those written here but things I forgot to mention or even things I dont know about yet. The only limit is your own fantasy. And gravity. Sometimes.:)

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Hi Raven!!!
Pretty cool for beginners I think...the only notice for me is: "Poi. Two simple balls on a cord or in a sock"--->Why TWO???? XDXDXD
As you know I like to use one or three poi also...it's pretty funny and in Maori traditional dance women use 4 poi (two one handed butterflyies)
So if you are looking for possibilities you must not limit the number wink

What about the gravity >______________________<
Damn gravity >________________<
XD

Instead pretty nice overview of poi world ... I think at it like something you can read immediatly after you know that poi exists...I hope that this have sense wink

Acciaio devil

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
nice post smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Acciaio

Hi Raven!!!
Pretty cool for beginners I think...the only notice for me is: "Poi. Two simple balls on a cord or in a sock"--->Why TWO???? XDXDXD
As you know I like to use one or three poi also...it's pretty funny and in Maori traditional dance women use 4 poi (two one handed butterflyies)
So if you are looking for possibilities you must not limit the number wink

What about the gravity >______________________<
Damn gravity >________________<
XD

Instead pretty nice overview of poi world ... I think at it like something you can read immediatly after you know that poi exists...I hope that this have sense wink

Acciaio devil

Good points, if Im not lazy Ill do some updates tonight : ))

And it was actually meant as an overview, many beginning and also advanced spinners dont really realise the full potential of what poi can really do..

Someone (Meg?) had an interesting idea for a staff trick, you take all staves into one hand and you shake your other fist at the ground shouting "Gravity, I defy you." Should try that with poi smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: White RaveN

Someone (Meg?) had an interesting idea for a staff trick, you take all staves into one hand and you shake your other fist at the ground shouting "Gravity, I defy you." Should try that with poi smile

I don't think it was me... (was it simian?) but I'm going to go and learn it! wink biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
 Written by: White RaveN

Really nice trick I'm going to learn it!!!It looks quite difficoult XDXDXD biggrin biggrin biggrin

Acciaio devil

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
ver cool info!thanks

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what about double staff with a poi linked on each hand too. so you have some thing else to consider.

nice thoughts.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Let's see how big a list we can get... quote and add (in a different colour, to keep track of changes)

~~~~~~~~

So in purely "What can you do with poi terms" you can (Regardless of plane, direction or speed)...

Spin (in a circle)

Swing (pendulum)

Stop/Stall

Throw &...

-----> Catch with hands

-----> Catch with body part

-----> Catch with other poi

------------------------------> then release into throw (whip toss)

-----> Bounce off a body part part (wibbles etc)

Tangle

Tangle and release (suicides/hyperloop throws)

Wrap around body part

Bounce off a body part

Drop (preferably on purpose)

-----> Pick up with body part

-----> pick up with other poi

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

~~~~~~~~

So in purely "What can you do with poi terms" you can (Regardless of plane, direction or speed)...

Spin (in a circle)

Swing (pendulum)

Stop/Stall

Throw &...

-----> Catch with hands

-----> Bounce off a body part (wibbles etc)

Tangle

Wrap around body part

Bounce off a body part

Change point of rotation

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
~~~~~~~~

Spin (in a circle)
Swing (pendulum)
Stop/Stall
Throw &...
-----> Catch with hands
-----> Bounce off a body part (wibbles etc)
Tangle
Wrap around body part
Bounce off a body part
Change point of rotation
----->towards poi head(iso)
----->away from poi head(long arm)
Tie and untie

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Does one-handed, ie meteor stuff count?

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Erm... "Hold them both in the same hand" would sum that up I guess. What did you have in mind?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
someone once suggest to me that if you make a poi like a helicopter blade and spin it above your head maybe you would fly.. this is one more possibilitie i think.

also poi on poi juggling... ie holding two poi and using them to catch and throw 1-? other poi. basically whip catchs though

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Much as i'd love to claim credit, i believe "I defy you Gravity!" was the invention of the greatest movesmith in the world ever, Mr Bovrilmonkey.

One thing about thinking about 'what is possible with ...' is its pretty arbitrary at what level you split stuff up, and that massively affects how many "possibilities" you have.

Durbseses 'Change point of rotation' encompasses a huuuuuuuuge amount of different stuff. You could sub-define a massive list of entirely different ways of changing the rotation centre.

Equally, it's true that there are only two things you can possibly do with poi. "move them" and "keep them still". Thats a short, but complete, list.

you could add to Durbseses list - "Change the shape that the poi-head makes as it spins" - which can mean essentially the same thing as 'Change point of rotation', but is a different way of looking at what you're doing, which can produce quite different (or entirely similar) results.

incidentally, why the arbitrary removal of speed from the terms of the list? Shouldn't you take 'Stop/Stall' off the list then? confused

oh, and possibilities like "sing to your poi", "wear them as a belt", "think about them" or "sell poi" are pretty irrelevant here, because they aren't related to "doing poi" as we understand it. Although each can be a rewarding activity. Your reasons for doing a thing limit the possibilities you consider "appropriate". But people's reasons for doing poi in the first place are different too. If you accept the idea of doing really silly things, the possibilities become much wider (see Bovrilmonkey). Listing what is possible with poi is a description of the way poi can be thought about, as much as it is mechanical descriptions of possible movements.

erm, so i don't look like i've just come here to talk rubbish, heres a couple of different ways of thinking about the way you do poi:
>interact with your environment (avoiding obstacles, wrapping off stuff, passing thru narrow spaces)
>mime, or otherwise expressing ideas with the poi (for example - making your poi look like dancing legs, or hippy crap like making your poi express emotion)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i agree simian, however as i have just come here to talk rubbish heres another possiblity. - make poi with little jet engines in the end so you can have total control of the momentum of the poi head

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ditto

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile
I added "regardless of speed" as an afterthought... plane and direction I put in as the other things in the list can be used to affect these two things.

Mind you aside from
Slow it down
Speed it up

We're not missing much out of the list wink

I was thinking more in terms of the poi itself, not the arm it's attached to - hence not adding in the possibilities of long-arm stuff (with regards to centre of rotation).
Otherwise the list would get mental.

The "change the shape the poi head makes when it spins" is a combination of body movement and centre of rotation. It's bascially still just spinning/stalling/penduluming.

Anyway, I didn't start this thread - so nyah tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Mind you aside from
Slow it down
Speed it up
We're not missing much out of the list wink

i disagree. Just cos your list is complete doesn't mean it isn't missing stuff tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
out of the list of speed changes monkey-boy tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Oops, sorry, missed that.

Should really read these threads...

Ok.

read it.

Now I remember why I don't biggrin

I love you guys for your geekiness, but yet am simultaneously appalled.

grouphug

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: drubz

out of the list of speed changes monkey-boy

yup, thats what i meant

Slow down/speed up completely describes changes you can make to speed of poi.

It also doesn't scratch the surface of what can be done with those speed changes.

in the same way that "move the poi/keep the poi still" completely describes all possible movement of poi, and at the same time describes pretty much nothing.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
 Written by: cute lil monkey boy

It also doesn't scratch the surface of what can be done with those speed changes.

What, you mean like movement... which is almost... like... ahemdanceahem.

?

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I should have known better to post this article anywhere near poi geeks.. biggrin

anyway, the original idea was to inspire people in slovakia to push their poi spinning limits and take poi less seriously as the poi culture and understanding here is really terrible..

tho on topic.. I, too, don't really think there is much more to add.. some general sillyness and things to play with, that you could still consider spinning and that you could theoretically build into a spinning routine..
e.g. add some things about spinning around your body, between your arms & legs & stuff..

3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link] which is also good smile

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I translated this to swedish for a webpage i'm in the progress of making. To have in the "About poi" section. I'll credit you for original text, if i'm allowed to use it at all. Which I actually assume =) ubblove