Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I was fortunate enough last night to go to the Auckland dress rehearsal of Cirque du Soleils' Varekai, it was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen, the costumes, sound, stage, lighting and performance were absolutely mind blowing. Has anyone else seen Varekai and if so, what do you think?

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen it live, but I have the DVD. All of Cirque's shows are incredible. smile

I liked it very much. I thought the beginning was a little odd, though. tongue And the music was absolutely beautiful. ubblove I don't know if they still have the act with the three little boys doing meteors, but that was absolutely insane!

You should check out Alegria, if you get a chance. That one's my personal favorite. smile

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Yep they still have the meteor act biggrin Saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Have to agree though, i do prefer alegria. But have only see alegria, saltimbanco,quidam and varekai live. Have see most of the other cirque dvds though.

Would kill to see Dralion live though

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

BlueHairSarstranger
22 posts

Posted:
I have seen quidam, allegria (twice), verakai, and corteo live, and the tapes of dralion, la nouba annddd, saltimbance, i think....

Cirque puts together some of the best shows that I've ever seen. I do technical theatre (mostly lighting), and becuase of that I cannot watch any show without thinking about the lighting, what instruments they are using, etc, and have to remind myself that I'm suppose to be watching the show. The last time I saw a cirque show (corteo), I completely "forgot" to pay attention to the lights becuase I was so swept up in the show.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I have seen Quidam and am going to se verakai when it comes to canberra ( i brought my ticket about a year in advance) I would reall love to see corteo or the other new one. The one that is for adults only. I can't remember what it is called mabey zumanity but i don't know

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Let's see...I've seen Alegria, Quidam, Dralion, Ka, La Nouba, Corteo, Varekai, Zumanity, "O", Mystere, Delerium, there was a music one that recently toured but I can't remember the name.

There is one opening late in 2007 (yet untitled) and we'll be seeing it in August.

On video I've seen all of them, including We Reinvent the Circus, Journey of Man and the movie (not cirque video but *movie*) Alegria.

I have absolutely no interest in LOVE.

Dralion live still gives me goosebumps. The aerial pas de deux...just wow.

Varakai just sucks to me. There are individual acts that are good but on the whole it is much more about the theatrics than about a strong quality circus output. In fact, I feel that way about several of the newer ones.

Delerium too. Ugh it was just baaaaaaaad.

I like the story in Corteo and I think it really translates well. It reminds me of their "older" shows where much more emphasis was put on the acts telling the story rather than the costume fan-fare.

Don't waste the money on Zumanity. It is *really* bad. It is more about getting nekkid than circus or having a point. The choreography in it is weak too.

If you are in Vegas (where Zumanity is) spend your money and see "O". It's the water show. And save money, buy seats in the balconies because you can see everything so much better..from the aerial rigging acts that dive into the water (and OMG is the rocking ship PHENOMINAL) but you can also see what happens under the water and it is really cool.

My only issue with it is they have a fire poi/staff spinner who does the most basic moves and every time I've seen it, it has been dropped in a different spin location (so I know it wasn't staged). That sucked. However, the other guy in that act is AMAZING as he sets himself fully on fire and reads a paper. Plus the "clowns" in this one are really choice.

Mystere in Vegas is different than when it was touring. They changed the story to reflect being in the desert and the acts really are not as strong as the touring one. Buy the video.

Go see Ka in Vegas! Wow..wow..wow! Capoeira, driving afro-asian beats just...alot and it is FABULOUS!

However, even after it all...Dralion is still my favorite, musically, story, look and performance wise followed by Quidam and then Alegria.

And my favorite CDS performer of all time (and one of my favorite performers in the world) John Quigley. He's just...wow..I mean really...I would have his children.

But then...I don't really have an opinion on this. wink ubblol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I am not sure what version Pele has seen, but the current touring Varekai has extraordinary 'quality' circus acts. The stunning Icarian foot jugglers, all of the aerials, the chinese hat juggler etc etc. The flow is engaging and the theme/narrative is in a good balance with the acts. The only other Cirque show I have seen live was Saltimbanco, which had far too much poncing about and mediocre theatrics. Varekai however is actually worth the money.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I saw the touring version newgabe. Same as everyone else.

Pele

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I could never quit pick it, but for some reason I agree with Pele on this one. I thought that it had a much more noticeable story line than some of the other shows and had some incredible acts, yet strangely it just didn't hit me like the others.

The acts just didn't seem to match the show.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Basstones

The acts just didn't seem to match the show.

That was a really good way of putting it.
The one that gets me the most is the guy on the rocking crutches (which aren't a new concept). I have one legged friends who uses his crutches in a much more artistic and acrobatic manner.
You are so right. They didn't.

Have you seen Corteo? A *strong* story with matching and impressive acts like it used to be. Very nice indeed.

Pele

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
As I'm working at Varekai at the moment, and it's the first Cirque production that I've seen, I have to say that it's pretty fantastic. The foot jugglers are incredible, even if they do occasionally make a mistake, the balancing act is outstanding and the kids with the meteors, what talent from such a young age.

This show is amazing

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele:

I'm attending a conference in Vegas in June, and have bought tix for both O and Ka, based on your rave reviews. Besides which, I've been wanting to see O for awhile now. And, I took your advice and got seats in the balcony for O (but I went closer for Ka). I'm really excited -- more excited to see these shows than for the conference itself! ubblol

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _khan_

Hey Pele:

I'm attending a conference in Vegas in June, and have bought tix for both O and Ka, based on your rave reviews. Besides which, I've been wanting to see O for awhile now. And, I took your advice and got seats in the balcony for O (but I went closer for Ka). I'm really excited -- more excited to see these shows than for the conference itself! ubblol

Ooooooh I am soooo excited for you, and envious! I wanna go tooooo biggrin Though I admit, not in June. Too hellish hot in June for me! devil I found out the hard way my sandals had metal strips in the bottom of them. I was in Vegas in May and when I walked around outside, that metal strip heated up and I ended up with blisters on the bottoms of my feet. eek From then on I insist on the "hot" states only in our cold weather biggrin lol

I really believe you will completely love those shows! I will be looking forward to your reviews!

Pele

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Point_Blank

As I'm working at Varekai at the moment, and it's the first Cirque production that I've seen, I have to say that it's pretty fantastic. The foot jugglers are incredible, even if they do occasionally make a mistake, the balancing act is outstanding and the kids with the meteors, what atlent from such a young age.

This show is amazing

what part are you working in? i worked at the brisbane season.

i loved the show - it was the first i'd seen live, and i was as blown out by the production values of the whole thing, as much as the show.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I'm working in F&B, and going over to aussie with them as well. It's such an exciting thought that I get to go on tour with Cirque du Soleil bounce

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Point_Blank

I'm working in F&B, and going over to aussie with them as well. It's such an exciting thought that I get to go on tour with Cirque du Soleil bounce

cool. i worked in the box office, but sometimes filled in during interval in F&B! you would know Sharyn and Linda from adecco? they're lovely

i seriously considered going on tour with them, because it would have fit in with working at melbourne comesy festival, but i've spent a few years travelling and working in events, so i decided to study instead.

hope you have an awesome time with it smile

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Auckland is Sharons last city, but I haven't met Linda yet, she didn't come to NZ, but will be meeting her in Canberra.

Might cruise through Brisbane on my travels, if so, might see you there.

Wheeeeeeee

Firewarriornewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Wow smile I'd really like to see anything by Cirque du Soleil live, but I don't think they'll visit Poland wink
But I watched Alegria (wow), Quidam (still my favourite), La Nouba and Varekai (I liked the costumes ^^)

Are you as bored as me? smile
466656923 - my ICQ

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
Cirque Du Soleil is amazing. The fire performer in Alegría is the reason I'm doing fire today. It's so captivating, so inspiring, so beautiful.

I've seen Alegría, Quidam, Verakai, and Dralion live. The rest on DVD's.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I saw O and KA a couple of weeks ago and they both were pretty amazing. O was pretty much what I expected...though at times there was a bit too much going on at once...too much to look at. The timing of the diving with the stage that comes up out of the water was really impressive. The firespinner was less impressive though. The opening of the show, with the huge red curtains pulling away to reveal the water was really dramatic, and the clowns were sweet. My favorite acts were the boat thing (bateau, en francais) and the aerial hoops.

KA blew my mind!! The theater was incredible and the set was just... eek and wow Really the most amazing live theater set I've ever seen. There was a double stick routine that, compared to the rest of what was going on, was one of the simplest bits of the show, but extraordinarily beautiful. The aerial work was fantastic.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Pele, do you mean John Gilkey? He created the skywatcher character in Varikai and the MC type character in Quidam. He is My Idol too. He is now the Clown Concpetor for Le Reve the Dragone production at the Wynn resort. It's another water show like O has anyone seen it yet?

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I overheard two skaters talking about Varekai the other day on the train, but they couldn't get the pronunciation right.

If I'm correct, its pronounced VA-reh-kai (rhymes with apple pie), but they were saying it va-REH-kee (rhymes with Milwaukee) and making me cringe everytime.

Kupo!

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
That's because the twats at adecco (recruiting company for CDS) tell everyone that it's pronounced like the latter, but after having worked there for 6 months (finished last night) I can assure you that it's the former. Hah, Varekey, lol

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jarle

I overheard two skaters talking about Varekai the other day on the train, but they couldn't get the pronunciation right.

If I'm correct, its pronounced VA-reh-kai (rhymes with apple pie), but they were saying it va-REH-kee (rhymes with Milwaukee) and making me cringe everytime.

I say vear (like pear) reh kai (like pie).

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yay cool show, i think i preferred Quidam more though.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Yeah,
its a fun show, I saw it is Canberra earlier in the year, I loved the silly mime machine thing smile and all the little creatures climbing around the poles - I love that there is always so much happening at any one time. yay for cirque.

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!