Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's 2007, so what are your goals for this year?

I'm not real sure what mine are yet, I'll come back and edit this when I know them, but I do know a couple for sure: go to uberparis, and finish the LAB series of videos.

biggrin

What are yours? Remember a year is a long time...

okay... my goals:

:: Tell a story, or at least communicate something other than "I can do staff well" in a routine.

:: learn a couple more performance styles.

:: get my knee better and do more acrobatics.

:: learn contact doubles, and possibly long doubles also.

:: make more comedy non-fire staffs.

:: learn to juggle three staffs

:: quit my job. go to circus school.

:: learn roue cyr smile

:: make more doubles tutorials.

EDITED_BY: mcp (1167948740)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
what's btb?
3backcross? mumbe mummble...

4shower it's hard but i knows that somone is practicing(successuffly).
The fact is that with 4 staff the 4444 would be fantastic to be seen,however i still have to get 4 correctly.
uffa!

--Late biosas---
tired to watch videos,let's go juggling in the street.

TriscalBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Step 1: learn contact staff
Step 2: figure out a stylish way to light my sword and extinguish my staff at the same time.

yes i'm probibaly nuts :P

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
btb = behind the back (as i understand this terms in this forum) so not only backcrosses (bitches) also reverse backcrosses, mixed with some throws i don´t know how to call , outside of our flat wink

fountain, in each hand 2 staffs (4444) is on one of the rubberhearts vids, antti -of course (guess: "revenge of the soy")
it might be easier to hold as a shower, its much lower to throw than 71 ...but 4 staff brrrrr redface out of my league

_told the fishfable to wes peden
_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
bastl,i dont understand what you mean?"its much lower to throw than 71"?is this siteswap numbers?

as for the for staff shower,i can hold it ok in the daylight,BUT without the snake and sweep between the catch and throw,this was for me the hardest part of cleaning up three,i hope to get four staff clean this year but my throwing shoulder is starting to complain about all the work its doing!
i look forward to seeing the 3 staff backcross,what next?alberts and treblas wink?

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
in revenge of soy it's 4440,well actually it's the step behind 4444

ps of course in antti video:) where can you finde if not there some cool things?!(fenfire also) biggrin

the 3 backcross ..i cannot immagine who can be done,personally with 2 i can try just simple backthorw!

What about shower3?i still have difficoulties in the"1"(siteswap 51 51)because as i grab it,cannot hold it and turn in the right way confused

ps why we don0t move to the "staff juggling"thread so we don't fill this one with techincal discussion? wink
EDITED_BY: darimoth (1173962906)

--Late biosas---
tired to watch videos,let's go juggling in the street.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

1:: Tell a story, or at least communicate something other than "I can do staff well" in a routine.
2:: learn a couple more performance styles.
3:: get my knee better and do more acrobatics.
4:: learn contact doubles, and possibly long doubles also.
5:: make more comedy non-fire staffs.
6:: learn to juggle three staffs
7:: quit my job. go to circus school.
8:: learn roue cyr smile
9:: make more doubles tutorials.

So a mid-ish year update:

1: Have an idea for a routine, haven't got around to making it yet thou. My doubles routine, I would like to think might communicate something once I get it really good.
2: Still trying. Figured out what those performance styles are, but haven't done much about it yet.
3: Knee isn't better, but I still have managed to do some integration of staff and acrobatics... Still gotta continue with the knee healing thou.
4: Done a lot on this. Need to find more doubles contact moves to work on....
5: Done A LOT of this. Gonna make more thou....
6: Learn two staff throwing a lot better, and club juggling, but have yet to learn 3 staff juggling, apart from flashes. Have a much better idea of what I want to do with 3 staff manipulation thou.
7: Not yet. frown
8: Yup. Got one, can do it, need to buy a gym membership and convince them to let me use it in the squash courts.
9: Kinda, kinda not.

How's everybody else going?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bastl

1)_single fishtails
more antispins and islotions
2)_dual fishtails
freedom in movement through all standart directions and combinations (solid)
3)_3 staff throwing
just come up with combinations, variations...nothing for stage
4)_keep on working with david on our contactshow
5)_perform in an other continent than europe
6)_produce 2 conceptual staffvideos with david
7)_and yes learn steves, (full, all parts, prayer) as promised

update:
1) nöp nothing done in this direction
2) phu my parrallels are still not clean, and i can´t play fwd wheelplane sametime fishtales yet frown
but all other standart directions (in my understanding) with dual fishtales should be fine now, so at least something wink
3) i got a mixture containing rubensteins revenge and 531 combinations...quite weired to play, but not on vid yet...
4) kinda, kinda not, the solo show at uberparis was a first step in this direction...waiting for play ubbrollsmile
5) nöp not yet, soo anybody outside of europe: invite me ubblol
6) still not, but we got an idea for one, maye in august
7)still can´t do a full steve propperly, but 35 prayers in a row and 100 halfsteves in a row work... yehay

btb 3 staff, nöp i reached level 7 out of 12 to play a mills mess btb, and about 7 catches from 3 staff backcross, but nothing solid...and i stopped training it..so maybe not this year

so i guess secound half of the year is gonna be busy wink

_told the fishfable to wes peden
_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I don't know if I've used it at all this year

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
megan,what does
learn roue cyr
mean?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

come up with a different way of moving a stick about that looks odd and makes people go "Cripes!" or similar

wobbly pencils still aren't 'there' yet, and anyway they were around in pre-proto form before 2007. Well, i was doing them with pencils in the 80s anyway.

so i guess secound half of the year is gonna be busy wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tim_marston

megan,what does
learn roue cyr
mean?

it's like hula hoop but gayer

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

learn more stuff.
watch kyle, will, meg and meast more wink
actually play with some wierd ideas i've been having, instead of just having them

1 - yep biggrin
2 - yep biggrin more to come, too...
3 - mmm. done some, but too busy with loads of other stuff....

2 1/2 out of 3.

not so busy for me then wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ArthurBrown

Quit my job for a year, and bum around Ireland staffing every day.

Well I handed in my notice at the start of this month, today is my penultimate day in work, and I arrive in Ireland on the 4th of July.

Booked it, packed it, f00ked off! biggrin

Now I just have to practice every day in Ireland. Shame I broke my wrist 10 days ago. frown

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Written by: tim_marston

megan,what does
learn roue cyr
mean?

it's like hula hoop but gayer

ahahahahah....ya....kinda cool though

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
 Written by: why

Actually find some time to play with stick
Some staff training/practice rather than playtime sessions when I do make the time (e.g. all the 1/2 beats possible in the world ever)
Go to more conventions/meets to see LOVELY LOVELY people, oh and learn things
Get back my fluidity
Try and learn some more "moves" and thieir "families" (throwy things, better and new steveages, snesing, matrices (joining the 2 1/2s), better and new fishtails, pivoting joys)
Get happy with more o my repertoire on fire
More movement/prancing/poncing/posing of myself

Lots more I'd like to do, but a year isn't that long if you don't have a lot of staff time

- working on... The new wee ones have been out a bit in the flat and not destroyed it
- a little... much more needed
- Going to PLaY, but that's about it... but 1 is more than none... visiting Ed a fair bit too...
- meh... more work...
- not really yet... (see 2nd point)
- yeah I forgot I said this one...
- movement, yes... poncing needs more work

not quite at half way to goals...
Have been distracted by other toys... spank

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
huuumm,

own a fire staff again! , a pair of doubles would be amazing! either purchase or build soooon. Its been almost a year since i lost my staff at glade:( i have practice sticks but they just aint the same:)

to meet someone clever enough to fix my broken aerotech coz them dere at the factory have stopped fixing them.:( booo . . . . or upgrade to ultimates and buy a laptop . eak . . yay ?

main goal trickswise is to work on tricks with left arm and get generaly more amidextrous with my left side.
and . . . Get the matrix everytime,

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

ahhh you talking throat wrap to frontside halo to throat wrap....

in therory you can do those all day long ..... biggrin

without a nose of course wink

Target acheived biggrin also frontside stalls reverse into jesus has been nailed a few times so I'm happy

you can't do them all day long because I get dizzy and fall over at about 13 ubblol
they aren't quite throat wraps though as the point of contact is pretty much constant.

new goal to do my 3 staff juggling on fire biggrin want to get the patterns a little more solid first

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
half the year gone and my goals are pretty much covered!

foot fishtails - as much as i can bothered to learn them.

circus training most definately remembered and furthered

did a bit of trapeze, even some contact stick on it. am getting more into silks.

staff juggling - i dropped this in preference for clubs

ball juggling - very happy with my renewed interest and progress.

rural parkour?? - didn't even remember this one! i think i may have done a week of messing around in trees, i moved to a town just after that post tho. beach parkour is going to be done for the next few months tho.

did the usual bjc 'spend all your loan on toys'

unfortunately i've destroyed my shoulder for the next couple of months due to bottling on a bit of dune jumping, knob. no right arm and only light use of the left is allowed so i'm screwed,

my crippled goals are:

balances

hacky sack

breathing

any other suggestions for non arm use manipulation would be much appretiated

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
lol, well, so far I've been getting my 'achievable' aim

as for the caged contact, I'm hoping to get some tips at PLAY

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my goal is to improve my fluidity without injuring myself smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
So i looked back to see what difficult tasks i set myself earlier this year and i found :

Written by: strugz

use my legs smile

skin up less ubblol

Dam! niether of them have happend! ubblol

However i use my arms more action loads more and now have a sweet pipe wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
you should have come to paris, and your legs would have received a good lesson. also your skinning up abilities, so that would have been a bit counter productive.....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
im getting more work for myself and starting to take group bookings as well,so the newsite is workin,
fourstaffs is along wayoff but its beginning to feel good at seven catches
ive created loads of new two staff stuff but no new section for my show as yet

note to self less weed more work!!

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
The year's almost over and I'm only now getting my motivation back:

Reverse fishtails
Angel Rolls
Conveyor/Pivot
Full Steve (damn, I thought I had it, only to learn what I can do is actually just a half one frown )

Practise Harry, practise

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
ive been hypnotised and havent smoked a spliff or a fag for 6 weeks now after 16 years of abusing my lungs and mind i'm finally a smoke free zone.......RESULT

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
clap well done

New goal
to work on a purely short staff set.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Antti_Everything

- Double pirouettes under contact throws
- Feicha
- Make a new staff juggling routine with some anti-spin/isolation stuff in it
- Learn some anti-spin/isolation stuff
- Doubles contact juggling combos
- Sixpack for summer
- Survive all of the above

1. Well... I've gotten a few. When I tried it one day months ago. I will get back to this next week. Atleast try to learn a proper double pirouette first...

2. Yes! Went to the Beijing Circus School to study it for a month and have been able to use these tricks and styles in my contact staff.

3. Well... Something like it but not..

4. Not.

5. Tried a few. Think it's still a good idea.

6. For next summer.

7. Well...

Point your toes.

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Short term: Get my happy a$$ to band camp tonight to have my friends feed me some new flag work...better known as "give me something to do when spinning staff on sunday other than spins, tracks, parallels, and singles/doubles/triples/quads."

Medium range: Get my up-down-up toss with the behind the back catch really solid. I can catch it sometimes, but I really need to perfect it. I used to have it way back when, but I lost it.

Long range: Get all my old flag tricks down solidly on staff. Some are easier...then there's the 45 parallel 1/2 turn sitting catch. Staffs just don't float that toss quite like flags. Oh yeah...and turn around tosses.

Can you tell I am a Colour Guard kid? tongue

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fireina

Can you tell I am a Colour Guard kid? tongue

Doesn't matter Fireina, we won't hold your childhood against you. You've grown up to staff now, haven't you wink biggrin Welcome to the club.

Practise Harry, practise

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Yeah...I did grow up to staff, lol. I know other guard people that grew into staff, just cause it's such a freakin natural transition. I started with poi, but I always planned to do staff of some form.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Page: