Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
https://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs19056

It's fascinating.
It's about time.
I am forced to wonder if more stood up this way, if this one would not go to prison.
I feel he is executing his constitutional rights and that is being ignored because he is a soldier and the belief that when they take their oath they cease to be right protected citizens is at play.

They can defend it but they can not take part in it.

I wish there was something to do but I'm not sure what.

Herm.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

EndOn9BRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
But.... a contract is not binding if it is for an illegal purpose. If this war is illegal (a conclusion which does not seem unreasonable) then he is within the law to refuse to take part in it.

/*********************************************
* tongue All your base are belong to us! tongue *
*********************************************/

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _khan_

from the military perspective, allowing him to avoid any discipline would really destabilize an already shaky military. It would send the message that soldiers can feel free to disregard orders they don't agree with, and that would result in a bigger mess than the one we already have over there.

Perhaps the best solution would be to just discharge him and be done with it.

Yes, but even just discharging him is suicide (for the armed forces). Because discharging him is sending the message to soldiers that all they need to do to get out of the war is to take the same stand. Even a simple discharge is a precedent. And like anyone cares for a "dishonourable discharge" when it gets them out of a war?

And I might be off topic here, but I think the Iraq War has moved on from "protecting America" (as I think Lt. Watada mentioned) and therefore he doesn't want to fight. I actually find that really selfish in that he will "only protect America".

*had a thought*
"Lt." That's a Lieutenant, yes? That's an officer position, yes? I think that makes it worse. Killer of morale. How the hell do you think the privates (GIs? I know less about the US Forces than the ADF) under him are going to feel!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _khan_

from the military perspective, allowing him to avoid any discipline would really destabilize an already shaky military. It would send the message that soldiers can feel free to disregard orders they don't

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
He swore an oath to, and I quote exactly from [link]https://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/oaths.htm[/link]

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

At no point does this say "President"

"I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic"

What happens when the domestic enemy is your own President? What happens when he orders you to steal oil from sovereign nations?

This is what he has chosen his path to be. Good luck the the free-thinker.

smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well since the president is the commander in chief and head of the military so any order from him is from a commander
and of course the cic is in charge of defending the constitution

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
what if you're an atheist? is the pledge still valid?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Heaven knows tongue

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
lol...

You can generally leave the god parts out of oaths and make them affirmations instead... Just as legally binding.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yes, it is. the US military recognises a whole gaggle of religions. the "god" is just a formality and is legally binding regardless.

Page: