Forums > Meet Others > Visiting Brisbane For A Month

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Hello!

From the 21st January through to 19th February, I'm gonna be in Brisbane visiting my relatives and am wondering about what fire/twirling events will be on and where. biggrin

I checked out moonfest, and apparently it wont be back on until May frown

I also heard about twirling at Kangaroo Point on Thursdays, a non-fire event at Southbank on either a Sunday/Monday.

Are there any others that people can recommend?

Thanks. smile

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yup - the Monday night Juggle Jams starts after 7pmish at the Suncorp Piazza in Southbank.

not sure about the thursday night at Kangaroo pt - i think thats a Carnival of Divine Imagination night but might be wrong.

The firetricks crew meet in the botanical gardens in the city after 7:30pmish on Wednesday night, and at the start of the month is Fire'n'Fun night 1 hr north on the beach at mooloolaba (sp?) - all threads are somewhere in the events section...

a few of us may be down at the Sydney Juggling Convention for the 26th-28 Jan - not sure what other big events are happening around that time though!

cheerio!
Ed.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Trust you to be one of the first to reply to this type of thread. Is there any end to your talents? hug

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
err.... i can also make a cake....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
mmm, I know... I was in the middle of typing out a response, but ed beat me to the punch...

but he did miss the fact that we still gather every thursday @ orleigh park in west end... weff is NOT dead... the phoenix has arisen... etc etc... metaphor laden statement after another...

in fact... we were there just tonight...!! biggrin

ed: can you make cheesecake? cos I ubbloves cheesecake...!!!

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Okay, *writes it all down*

Monday: 7pm, Suncorp Piazza in Southbank
Wednesday: 7:30pm, Botanical Gardens in the city
Thursday: ?Time?, Kangaroo Point
Thursday: ?Time?, Orleigh Park, West End

Any others? tongue

~ Neser

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Ahh, one other thing.

I've ordered a pair of those Pixie sticks to bring with me down there... Though, I'm not too sure what will happen when it comes to bringing it back UP. :\

Any tips with regards to bringing used equipment on planes? confused I've heard that you can wash the kevlar and the staff.. But have never done it before and I'm not quite sure if I can get the kevlar back ON the staff O.o

I might experiment sometime and see if I can make a staff - If I can make one, surely I can get the kevlar back on ^-^;

Thanks,
~ Neser

PS. Flying Jetstar, I think Virgin Blue has issues with fire staff, no idea about Jetstar

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Augh, there are [Old link] about this, really, heaps. You don't have to remove the kevlar OK but

*do a search*

and welcome to Brisbane! wave

Monday night juggle jam is the best one to meet lots of people at once.

And lots of us are friendly and you will probably end up at various houses. ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
 Written by: funkwaxpuppy

With used gear, we always wash the wicks as best we can, to clean off soot and as much fuel residue as possible. We use whatever detergent we can (washing detergent, shampoo, etc!) We don't unwrap our wicks. After washing them (usually in a bathtub!) we wrap all wicked ends of our equipment with clingwrap, then fasten with packing tape. We usually don't have time to dry them out, so just pack them wet.

Staffs are usually wrapped in towels or clothes and packed in long postpacks and checked as oversized luggage. Poi and other odds and ends can be wrapped up in whatever and checked in regular luggage.

Having said this, I know of people who have had unused equipment confiscated at the airport!!! Don't make a fuss, and if you can, have someone come to the airport with you. That way, at least they can take it for you and it won't get thrown into the airport bin of no-return...

^ I'll have to keep that in mind. I've heard of this firesol fuel, would that be more better to use in comparison to kerosene? Apparently its odourless and leaves less soot.

Thanks,
~ Neser

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
ubblol hehe Ed you rock! ....can i have some cake too? and mmMMmmm to the cheese cake idea! ubblove

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neser

^ I'll have to keep that in mind. I've heard of this firesol fuel, would that be more better to use in comparison to kerosene? Apparently its odourless and leaves less soot.
Thanks,
~ Neser

Indeed, you will find few people in Brisbane apart from total newbies who spin with kero. Firesol is the brand name of odourless fuel sold by Gooble Warming, in West End. (Three Worlds on the Gold Coast sells their fuel as "Firelight') What each fuel actually contains varies slightly according to availability from wholesalers. Many of us buy bulk quantities of the same odourless fuels directly from chemical wholesalers we have built up relationships with over the years.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
wave hiya neser! biggrin twas brilliant to meet you tonight!! bounce

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
biggrin Hey!

I'm gonna try go to that Botanical Garden's one on Wednesday. ^_^

Wont be going to the Thurs one this week... Next week perhaps, lol.

Looking forward to meeting you and everyone again. It was great to see so many people. I really enjoyed myself. ubbrollsmile

Thanks smile,
~ Neser

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Hi neser smile Hope you are enjoying the stay in brisbane so far biggrin

Since thursday gatherings started up in west end again very few of us have been attending the botanical gardens. However as far as i know there are a few who still go down, i think around 7:30-8:15 sort of time... then just go until it feels like time to leave.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Botanical gardens? Which botanical gardens? The ones in the city near the river or the ones at Toowong? WHere in the gardens (they are pretty big....)

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
Hi nessa, hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Brisvegas. I'm sure you'll meet a bunch of nice people at which ever gathering you go to. Take your cousin with you, persistence is the key. ubblol ubblol

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Botanical gardens? Which botanical gardens? The ones in the city near the river or the ones at Toowong? WHere in the gardens (they are pretty big....)

City gardens, left hand side if you go in the main gate. Near where they normally rent bikes

Near the big circle of palm trees

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
www.firetricks.net for more info smile Wooot !

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Aha so this is another piece of firetrickery then! Do the policepeoples bother you there?

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
They have come and visited before, but they have a fire permit for the gardens so there arent any issues as far as i know.

Was there once when the police came to check everything in order. Had a great chat with one of the officers, even better when he got off his bike to have a go on my unicycle lol...

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
You'll try and get anyone on that unicycle of yours wont you!! hehehehe Please tell me their was an accident of some sort!!!

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Hahah well apparently he used to ride one, so he was trying to freemount on it, but just couldnt manage to stay up.

Lol so he called over the other officer and lent on him but once he got up he quickly decided that he would try another time lol...

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Heading off now to the city. Gonna go explore again for a bit before heading to the Botanical Gardens.

See you there tonight! ^_^

Thanks for the info!

~ Neser smile

~*~*~*~

... Aww, got rained on, lol. That's a shame. Hopefully not raining Thurs. Deciding between Kangaroo Point, West End or Shopping. confused *also has slight issues regarding transport* ^.^;

Night'all!
EDITED_BY: Neser (1169653231)

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Come visit us at west end biggrin I might be able to help out with transport or could get you in contact with someone else who is coming if you need a hand smile

Where abouts are you coming from?

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Currently I'm staying in the suburbs of Boronia Heights, and what will happen is I get dropped off in the city near Queen Street Mall during the day-afternoon, then from there I walk to where I want at the appropiate time.

Bontanical Gardens, Kangaroo Point and Suncorp Piazza are all in walking distance.

I was looking at the map and Orleigh Park looks rather far, lol.

~ Neser

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:

I was looking at the map and Orleigh Park looks rather far, lol.

~ Neser

The lovely City Cat goes there.. from the city, near the Botanical Gardens and South Bank! ubbrollsmile

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
How much would it cost?

I'm just looking at the map now and its got the city cat routes. Coming from near South Bank Piazza going down the river to Laurence Street/Hoogley Street - though in which direction would it go? lol

~ Neser

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Hmm... *looks out windows at clouds*

Do you think it'll rain today? confused

~ Neser

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
The 199 bus leaves from the queen st mall and goes straight to orleigh park if you are interested smile Also the ferry stops right where the twirling is...

If not i can happily offer a lift, im not too far away from there wink

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:

How much would it cost?

I'm just looking at the map now and its got the city cat routes. Coming from near South Bank Piazza going down the river to Laurence Street/Hoogley Street - though in which direction would it go? lol

~ Neser

You would want to get on a ferry that is described as going towards 'University of Queensland or UQ' if you decide to come smile

If it does rain we normally all head to a really groovy cafe in west end called 3 Monkeys.

Hope you have a good night with whatever you decide to do smile

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info. Shall keep that all in mind.

Heading off now. Not sure whats gonna happen at this rate, looks VERY cloudy and can hear the thunder. Might just hit the shops or do something.

Anyway, will be back on later tonight.

Byes. ^_^

~ Neser

Page: