Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > British Juggling Convention (BJC) 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
Well no ones posted anything yet so i thought id make a start!

heres the website: https://www.bjc2007.co.uk/

Written by:

BJC 2007 will be held at Harvey Hadden Sports Stadium (map) (satallite), Bilborough, Nottingham between the dates of 11th –15th April 2007. This will be the 20th BJC and the second time it has been held in Nottingham, the first being ten years ago.

BJC 2007 is held for all types of circus style performers: from hobby jugglers to professional entertainers. We welcome all types of acrobats, aerialists, street entertainers, circus performers and object manipulators.

BJC 2007 is a place to attend workshops to learn new skills, improve on old skills and meet old friends and make new ones. We have various shows on in the evening as well as different forms of entertainment: bands, DJs, fancy dress, films, etc. There is a big show in the Royal Concert Hall on the Saturday evening after the Juggling Olympics and a parade through town.

BJC2007 is proud to announce that we will be hosting the World Juggling Federation UK Open Championchips (WJF UK), the first ever British Balloon Modelling Convention (BBMC1) and the World Juggling Video Federation (WJVF)
l

so, whos going? im definatly going to try and book time off work, and if anyone knows who we need to contact for volunteering etc please add the contact on here.

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I've put my pics up on photobucket (even the sandy bum one)

photobucket album

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
haha! yeh that sandy bum one was wicked! i think kev's only word for it was 'oh!' eek
I forgot to bring my camera, which sucks to the extreme! must remember one for play!
oh and mech don't ever greet me by humping me while i'm trapped in a rolled up blanket and so can't do anything about it again please! i was very very shocked and/or disturbed - especially seeing as i was half asleep at the time! eek one of these -> hug will do fine!

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TastesLikePurple

oh and mech don't ever greet me by humping me while i'm trapped in a rolled up blanket and so can't do anything about it again please!

That's a traditional greeting where Mech's from wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for such a great time. grouphug

Mr 2Bags, you're amazing! hug

I hope to see all you lot again soon. I was reminded just how much I missed you all this weekend.

Big kiss all 'round!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Well that was just the best damn BJC yet! Perfect weather, great atmosphere, phat tunes, amazing performances and, above all, you wonderful lovely people...

Great to see the usual suspects and get to know a few others better... roll on Play (for which I will hopefully be neither injured nor ill this year), Firegathering & Sunrise!!

Massive thanks to Peachi and the Notts crew, and much love to all!!!

grouphug sunny juggle kiss

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
man if fireworks didn't explode, and sound systems were universally good quality and responded to the acoustics of large sports halls well, that would have been a near perfect BJC. Oh and if 'sports' jugglers could keep they're juggling to the competition and not try and perform it, that would be nice.

More chairs / cushions needed I think. Otherwise, it was immense, did so much fishtailing my left hand got a cut on it and I removed all traces of grip from the fishy staffs. win!

Thanks to sandy for much needed inspiration and new moves, and to jea9, for showing what an amazing routine looks like. Great to see simian, drew, clare, tim and devkev again. Good to see Ronans super clean style. Shame he likes juggle speed too much, and can't play mikado. If anybody sees him, could they tell london magic matt thanks for the conversation and the ideas. Magic matt is cool.

Hugs to everyone, except for strugz, who's gay, and I don't want to tarnish my reputation by coming into contact with.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
WOW, ace convention. Loved it. Still got pie in my hair (but saving that for later) and bruises are pretty harsh but all good. Lovely to see you all. Thanks 2bags for showing me all that acro, really enjoyed it. Acro pie is definately the way forward. Thanks to skully and ucof for being pie passers and Kat did a fine job of smearing pie in my face, loved it!! Thanks to Fatallstar for doing such amazing camera work and Fat Durbs for taking all those rubbish pics the night before wink !!

Big hugs to everyone. Will get pics up when I work out how to do it. Oh and the BT video I recorded on my camera I deleted by mistake. I'm sooooo sorry...

kiss hug

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone for a lovely convention, i really needed it! I was getting convention withdrawl syndrome.
My shoulders feel like they're gonna fall off....its fantastic.

Nice one to the late night "fresh air" brigade for much fun and massages!

Thank you crazy contact jugglers for more inspirations. what a bunch of body rolling balancing popping sliding around the floor freaks!

And to everyone else for making such a great few days...

...apart from Meg who couldn't play jungle speed if she tried for fear of my superior level 20 reaction skills!!!

See ye soon

grouphug

Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Ronan, it was lovely meeting you. Not only are you extremely handsome, but you are an amazing spinner and your company is simply delightful! hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Next time you meet him... call him Keanu Reeves...

He LOVES it when people do that smile :evilgrinning:

Getting to the other side smile

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
Ronan wave

By the way, just fyi, the reason why Jason Garfield looked like he spend the night before making up his act for the public show, and had some prompt notes visible, and spent half his show going on about the "ass catch"....Is because *someone* angel pegged him the night before. Interestingly the peg had "ass catcher" written on it.

coincidence?

sorry for making yall sit through a rather sucky act. He was probably going to come on a do a really uber technical juggly act until he got pegged. redface

anyway.. bounce2 ubbloco cool grouphug

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Colin J

sorry for making yall sit through a rather sucky act. He was probably going to come on a do a really uber technical juggly act until he got pegged. redface

Thank god you saved us from that biggrin

"Take that, math!"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

ubblol

Next time you meet him... call him Keanu Reeves...

He LOVES it when people do that smile devil

I will not sully his good name and looks by comparing him to Mr 'Whoa'!

The massage session was nice... smile WHY didn't I go with his request to come with him to the airport to be his personal masseuse? confused

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
cos your straight! ubblol

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Good point, thanks for the reminder... smile

Helloooooo Meg... wink

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Mieow.
Fire show rocked - ya'll should be proud of that one.
(Laura elasta and I spent the whole show drinking cider and swooning (perving) over you. especially clare-[I've cot the whole audience in my hands] and new "rough and ready" action durbs). I have a lovely photo of dave.

Meghan on the british stage, awesome.

hugs to Jeanine and ed and colin and marco for the playing

Vodka and orange - 99% brilliant omg we laughed so much biggrin

Play area - wicked

Everyone who came to one of my workshops, thankyou biggrin

Eveyone - wicked

Poi in the main show = great, laura and ros not pulling off the act as well as they would hope, mini-bummer, but from where I was sitting it certainly was no where near as bad as Ros tried to persuade me it was afterwards.

Vova,Jason and thomas in the main show - dissapointing because they all could have done a LOT better. frown

And the bummers:
Lack of real coffee for sale anywhere on the site!! frown

Over-efficient workshop organising didn't do anyone any favours.:(

Smiles ya'll
Drew

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Picture of Dave Knox in his skimpies??? Where? Though my taste for pictures of men in their skimpies has waned a bit over the years. Good God I should be a Monk...

Vova was only disappointing due to the absence of his sister Olga. Then again I would assume that he would like to establish his own identity instead of being merely part of a brother-sister combo.

Thomas's poi-spoof, though spot-on was ever-so-slightly mean-spirited considering BJC's supposed U-turn on it's anti-poi attitude...

Does anyone think that Jason Garfield was a bit miffed at the boos he was getting or do you think he was used to it?

The Workshops, definitely didn't go to as many as I did last year. I was being slack but the company I was with more than made up for it... smile smile smile

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Boy I ache with to much fun and laughter

Hugs to all!

I did a bit of a mash-up of Grease Lightning: https://blip.tv/file/201753/

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Hot damn what a good BJC that was!

Have to love the Bluecat picture of him and his missus - were you guys fancy dressed as Russel Brand and Posh Spice? :P

Drew - there was real coffee...Oddballs/JTV... surely they made you a cup?

Neon - *begin rant* IMHO Thomas's poi "spoof" was absolute shite. If followed up with some decent skill it might have been forgivable, but to blatantly diss a) one of the previous acts and b) a large section of the BJC community, was totally rubbish. If he'd taken his head out of his arse for long enough to look around at the level of spinning displayed in the main hall he would have seen how far away it has gone from what he was portraying. To rubbish another act before you is just plain rude. I thought it was a waste of time and thoroughly insulting. He should be ashamed. *end rant*

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hot Damn! I wish I had enough fire in my belly to put it like that! Hmmm the more I think about it the more I wonder why Elasta and Fluffy didn't punch his lights out during the curtain call! I'm sure they would've been more than capable, but far too lady-like to say so... The rest of the show being pure brillance more than made up for it.

Sure I've seen some bad poi performances in my time,lord knows I've been in a few of them! (hence the 'spot-on' thing) but everyone is there to learn...

Anyone wanna invite him to PLAY to repeat the routine? devil

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
ah i think im awake enough just to write now. tried last night but it wasnt happening smile

well i know i met some of you guys there last week but i dont know who in relation to names on here but hey anyways biggrin met so many people this year so apologies if any names slip by me.

and sorry drew for not making your workshops...i slept through them and woke up just as they were ending frown

however, thanks ed for the acrylics and everyone who showed me new contacty goodness. hm, completely missed the poi wraps and throws workshop too for lack of owning a half decent set of poi.

however, much fun was had and i have a few piccies up here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daisylou/sets/72157600086230915/

see some of you at bcc biggrin

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Hey jo, can i put that on my cv? winkLovely to meet you too hug

I really enjoyed ros and laura's act, I think it has to be among the best choreographed poi shows i've seen. I have a lot of respect for anyone managing to put some method to the madness, something i find very difficult to do.

Now ye should all come over for a visit to Ireland for the next juggling convention...thing Galway JC is in June sometime....

smile

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Knoxious

Thomas's poi "spoof" was absolute shite. If followed up with some decent skill it might have been forgivable, but to blatantly diss a) one of the previous acts and b) a large section of the BJC community, was totally rubbish. If he'd taken his head out of his arse for long enough to look around at the level of spinning displayed in the main hall he would have seen how far away it has gone from what he was portraying. To rubbish another act before you is just plain rude. I thought it was a waste of time and thoroughly insulting. He should be ashamed. *end rant*

too true dude, too true. I think there is an element to poi that makes it one of the most expressive and asthetically pleasing toy, which is something juggling lacks from time to time for all it's technical amazements. and while poi may not be as technical as juggling or juggling related things, it can get very complicated and does require a lot of practice and dedication. I agree that if he had done something decent afterwards then i would've forgiven him and laughed with everyone else, but he didn't so despite it's light hearted intentions, i also at the time felt a little insulted. However, i'm not gonna let it bother me cause it was a great night, a great convention and i had an absolutely incredible time! so smile! and don't let it get you down! smile biggrin ubbrollsmile hug

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
damit i love it when knox gets up hot under the collor.... wink

SEXY!

purple - you knows you loves it wink it was nice to see you again honey hug

anyways, i think the act in its defence was a rebellion for him against his name, and being expected to juggle 9 balls on stage

yes if he had done [censored] poi, and then broken out some smooth planes, and wicked lines, afterwards, and some simple but well done tech moves, it would have bought it all back i guess, but still, its his act.

remeber there was a lot of ppl in that audience who would not have gotten the joke, and you all are amature (like me) to pro spinners and jugglers, there should be lessons learn from each show, and from this one, i think he should take away that the joke is now very old, and while i think it was a show more for him, he should remeber not to isolate himself.

however i do know that he did say sorry to at least one poi spinner before his show (or at least i have been told this by their partner) as he did not want to insult them, but it was against other ppl.

as for jasons show, i think it was a nice flip on a typical juggle performance, and there was definite funny bits in it, like him talking about how the different groups, like jugglers talk, and when he is choosing clothes.

i thought that was very funny, however i think it was less about his act, and more about UK v's USA style of humor, ithink it was an american show, and maybe he was not prepared for a UK audience who would stand up to him, and take the piss back.

but i think his comments of dont clap me cos i am jason, or cos i have been doing it for 20 years, wait till i prove it"

was spot on, i have known ppl just sit and watch him flash 4 balls, cos he is Jason Garfield. and i think like Thomas show it was about sticking figures up at those who expect them to do cool stuff.

on teh flip side, there was a couple of acts, like the diabolo stuff that while he got a standing ovation, and rightly deserved to get one, cos he was [censored] amazing, i thought "why is he doing it in teh dark, i want to see what he is doing" and i thought that brought his show down. But still his skills are amazing

i thought the compare was funny as, even tho it was the same show i saw two years ago at the Birmingham 10th juggle convention, but still funny as, good comedy lasts....

Step (el-nombrie)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ditto

Nice one Mister smile

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
my two cents: I dont think you can blame yourself colin, just cos you pegged jason with a peg that said 'asscatcher' (genius I might add) you didn't force him to crap and unfunny on stage. He didn't really come over as very confident. Nor as very funny, but I attributed that to him being an American. And to attempt to do stand up comedy with steve rawlins on as compere must be a bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

Vova's act was terrible. He was like a more uninteresting version of jason garfield. Which is impressively uninteresting. the first three club routine was nice, but I think he needs to add something to it to make it really really shine.

Thomas Dietz: Didn't he realise it was a public show, like for the public too? Where Vova and Jason might not have different styles, and it might be a bit samey for them to both do juggling routines, thomas definately DOES have a very different style. The poi routine is funny the first time, as long as there is juggling after it. But it's not funny anymore. What does that act say? "Hey look, being one of the best in the world at juggling doesn't make you good at anything else?" Or "People, (like me) who are censored at poi, shouldn't get up on stage and do censored poi routines?"

Thou certainly all three of them did themselves no favours, showing bad amateurish acts at a public convention, when they were expected to turn up and do professional acts. It I turned up to play and did a bad magic act as a 'rebellion' against being expected to be vaguely good at sticks, that would be stupid and childish. It might be the case that i dislike performing what I'm best at, but if I'm trying to be professional I should suck it up and get on with it. Liking it or not.

Everybody else thou, awesome. The first half would have been a good second half if william and get the shoe hadn't been on in the second half. biggrin

llanowarBRONZE Member
journeyman
95 posts

Posted:
(somebody know how much was it paid to make this rubbish show?)

anyway, the BJC was great but there's always (like other Juggling Convention), people who want to waste the happiness of some ones.

that's a pity, even more for those who expected to see him juggling and who won't have, perhaps, any more occasion to watch him on scene one day. I think especially of people who came only to the spectacle and who weren't in the remainder of convention...

I'm llanowar and poi is my art

(et vive la France!)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ditto

Re: Thomas Dietz, I heard he'd basically lost a bet and had to do a poi routine. Which would've been cool in renegade or the friday show. But it was a public show. I'm sure the promo stuff must have mentioned he was (one of) the best jugglers in the world, and as a paying punter knowing nothing about juggling, I would've been both confused and irritated by his act. Frankly I think he made himself look like a bit of a prick and made Jam stand out as an example of how it should be done...

Jason's act was good, but I found myself generally underwhelmed by him the entire weekend. I was expecting all content, no style juggling, but there wasn't much content there at all.

Those sexy boys doing double staffs Thursday night were the highlight for me wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
yeh man, they were fookin wicked and could easily have topped thoms act in the public show.......

rolleyes

who were the gaylords spinning single staff...... im sue ive seen that routine before - like 10 years ago or something ? wink

ubbangel

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - talk about going for the pink vote....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: ...