Forums > Help! > Advice on travelling

Login/Join to Participate

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
Having just finished university and never been out and about in the big bad world truly on my own before I have this desire to go travelling everywhere and see what I can see. However having never done anything like this before and also actually being quite nervous of doing stuff on my own I thought I would turn to the collective knowledge of HoP to see what advice anyone was willing to give me about travelling, getting flights, how to deal with or avoid getting into sticky situations. One of my workmates who has done the whole travelling thing said I should try to get off the beaten track and not deliberately go where ALL the travellers go but how do I do that? Any other advice you think you could give me (and believe me any is welcome I suffer from parents with a nervous disposition the more prepared I seem the less twitchy they will get) or think I'll need would be brilliant.

Thank you biggrin thankx

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my advice is go where your heart tells you, only you really know where you would like to go.

Italy is nice for wine and food..

Edinburgh is very beautiful..

As for flights etc... cant help you there, i always look on the net when i want to go some where. Maybe more advise could be given if you know what Country or City specific details you are looking for.

Nervous parents!... join the club, i left home in 1998 and havnt been back since only for the odd visit.. my mom still worries about me now... even though im all grown up with a son. haha

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
Lol well I mentioned that I was thinking about joining PWB and go to india for 7 months to my parents and they practically fell over each other in the attempt to pin me to the floor and then lock me in my room, the fact that I can't because I was starting uni when they set off to india didn;t really make a dent in the level of panic. I'm looking at literally all over the world but mainly asia, australia and new zealand to start with.

888GOLD Member
34 posts

Posted:
hey rin !
i agree with your workmates, but it depend on what YOU want to do ..
i travel a lot in this time of my life and i ll tell you :GO RIN GO it s the more fabulus thing, the best part of my life ..
if y know where y want to go.. just take a look on internet there is a lot of blob of peuple that are traveling alone..
anyway you r never alone, there is always some traveler to join to.. always
i did it many time, and it s always greath !
take care and .. just do it !

breathing is a safe and effective way of fighting death and death relative symptoms...most doctor agree that breathing is an excellent way to stay alive.
it s great!affordable!and great for your sex life!
start breathing today,TODAY!or else..start dying!

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
I love travelling ... and with 55 countries visited (most of em twice) and a total of 3 years on the road, most of it solo, I consider myself I know a thing or two about travelling.

Yeah, most important JUST GO, second follow your heart, but third make sure you have a true idea about a place before you head there.

Things to consider are what type are you, city vs nature, mountains vs beach, culture vs party etc. Or find the ideal mix place. Cost is also a major factor here and price levels of destinations vary considerably, eg a lovely day in Cambodia/Laos can cost you 10$ a day in Caribean 200$ for pretty much the same thing.

Read travel blog (like travelpod), watch the pictures on these blogs to get an idea about ambience and see forums like lonely planet thorn tree where you can get excellent advice ...

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gomorrha

Read travel blog (like travelpod), watch the pictures on these blogs to get an idea about ambience and see forums like lonely planet thorn tree where you can get excellent advice ...

What's travelpod? Is that like an online blog thing?

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
Oh my god!!! thank you for pointing me to travelpod not only has it convinced me that I really do want to travel it is also some of the most addictive reading I have ever seen!!!!!!