Forums > Social Discussion > The Unofficial "Taking a Break from HoP" thread. (HoP Vacation)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Every now and then I've taken a break from HoP. It's been nice. And then nice to come back.

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where folks can sign off for a period of time. Even nice if folks needed to get something done and signed off so we can all help them stay focused (from writing a paper to getting a job!) People could limit their posts (like I'm doing) or sign of completely for a set period of time.

Of course, they could tell us when they're back.

Sometimes, it's important to take a break from the internet completely. I saw an interesting thing about "internet addiction." It said the internet was just enough of an APPARENT community without actually giving the full support of a real community to keep people addicted and yet constantly craving more.

I'm certainly not addicted to the internet (thankfully) but understand the sentiment.

So I'm taking a break. I'm sure I'll go look at the video threads quite often during my coffee breaks but aside from that I'd like to keep my interaction occasional.

Perhaps others have some places they should be (or some things they should be doing) and would like to use this thread to keep them honest. I even stuck the word "vacation" in the title to make it easier to search.

My friends know how to get in touch with me. Or PM me here since I will post occasionally.

Happy New Year. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I'm taking a break, but I'm afraid
no only for single period.

love & light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Good idea smile

I remember a few people posting "right, im doing my phd, kick me off here" threads (dentrassi?? Ade??)

again - like the idea smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i have been taking a break for a while, have loads to do around the house and life is generaly not going too well at the moment. will still be lurking and sorting out meets etc as i am not having a break from spinning. lol

huge hugs to all and a great idea for a thread hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i definatly havent been on here as much as i used to, and from next week ill be on a lot less unless i can squeeze time after work.

i like the idea smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I too have been taking a long break, hopefully not for much longer, but alas third year at Uni is quite pressing so got to get that sorted first!! Miss you all and will still pop by time to time hug hug wave

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
heh, i've just not been on for about 2.5 mos, the downside being i've neglected to reply to a pm I really should have! ooooops

anyway, i'm back- sort of- occasionally- maybe....

i say this a lot, and then i think last time i said that i wound up leaving for something on the order of 2.5 years. we'll see what happens smile in the meantime, i'm loving my hoop, i've got a few new people doing poi, and i'm trying not to do badly at my first year of uni, which you would think wopuld be easy but you're not doing/ didn't do biochem at york....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm never here...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
your on a perminant break you mean......... hippy ubbloco

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
time out from hop and the internet is good, however missable (lots when you have some really good friends here frown )

I have had 2 long year out breaks from the internet but occasionally dropping in to check PM's and emails etc.

It does you good. ubbrollsmile

cant say that i have a great deal of time these days though, yes finally have a net connection at home after a year and a half... but i read hop for a maximum 30 mins, work, baby, eat and sleep then all over again.

But I'd rather play with my son rolleyes

so until he's grown up a little more and it's warm in this room where the computer is.. he can come and play in here and daddy maybe can spare an extra 15 mins for hop.

wink ... 15 mind, i've got too much poi and juggling to catch up with.. bloody car crash and boken wrist. frown

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i took a break from the net while i was working before xmass..................... and nobody noticed i was gone frown

ubblol

it was good to take a short break, it helped me focus and sort through some of the stuff at the back of my mind like what i'll be doing this summer and what kind of work i would like to do in the meantime like bar work etc.

the job center is hassling me to get full time work but as i have to do lots of reserch at the moment i can only do part time work.....seems to me like the governemtn want EVERYBODY in full time work paying their taxes like good little sheeple we are (bahhhh) ubblol

sorry but i'm going to do what I want to do not what some suit tells me i should do wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ah no one noticed when i was gone
actually, i think they threw a party smile

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
maybe people noticed but thought it was a good thing wink

(joke)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeah, i should really figure out what i'm doing this summer too! (can't sleep).

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've been accidentally taking a HoP break. My job hunt, writing, spinning in the dark, tattoo designing for a friend, working on layout for my brother, my snake, kitties, and my little pico-reef have been consuming a ton of my time.

And, now, I'm embarking on two side projects of starting a small scale "nature" tank / German Blue Ram breeding tank as a part of an expose on big budget looks on a small scale.

.... I am a busy person, and I drink lots of coffee.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
everyone is me frown

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I've been taking a break from HoP, for pretty much the last year, but been checking it occasionally, mainly in the events. Unfortunately, I'm unbelievably busy at the moment with, trying to learn how to be a teacher and trying to maintain a long-distance relationship at the same time.

I've also been neglecting my poi a lot recently, now I've moved, I don't have the easily accesable space (or time) that I used to have, and other excuses. I've been doing a lot of Hat instead though, which I can at least do in my room. My jugglings sort of developing too. I can pass clubs at least. But my balls are still, well, balls.

Still, I still find time to be addicted to the internet, particularly when I have important work to be doing, like now. I'm going to try to ween myself off, but its hard...

I hope to stay in touch though, and see everyone at meets and conventions when I can...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*Im still curled up on the sofa*

:zzzzzzzzz:

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i've been taking unintentional breaks for the last 2.5 years. life just sometimes gets in the way of getting online much. plus this site has grown so much that it's hard to catch up. i remember when i used to go into every single new intro thread, read every single thread in the social chat (ha, even when there wasn't a social discussion area). now it's so overwhelming! it's hard though when you have so many friends online, around the world, and the easiest (and cheapest) way to keep in touch with them is online.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I think it's a great idea to occasionally take a break from online communities that you're immersed within. Sometimes, we get complacent, start taking things for granted, throw our weight around and without knowing it, annoy and alienate other members.

There's nothing like a good old Holiday in Reality to refresh your perspective. It could also provide some time for reflection; time to realise that perhaps you've not been the best you can be, time to realise that (dare I say it) your head has been firmly lodged in your posterior and that you've been cultivating less than positive personality traits.

I know my time-outs from the various online communities I play an active role within have certainly lent themselves to a much nicer flash fire. And, just quietly, I firmly believe that a number of people on HoP could do with some refreshing of their "nice".

And yes, I haven't posted for a while but I do read the boards and I do respond to the Notify Moderator stuff, so I know what is going on!

PS - this is directed at everyone, and no one in particular.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
See my signature? Take a moment to read it.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I start to think twice before I post something and take the occasional holiday when I notice that things get too close to me, i.e. I am incapable of withdrawing (anger and the feeling of being insulted) while writing a reply.

Written by: HoP

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

But I admit that I had to go down a long road and was taking on a lot of spank ing, before I learned my lesson.

grouphug to all you beautyful people

peace

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I've been on a year and a half long HoP break, and now I'm back!!!!

To everyone that remembers me, HEYLO!!!!

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: flash fire

PS - this is directed at everyone, and no one in particular.

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I never take breaks as such- I read lots, I just don't post much.

I guess that makes me a lurker.....

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr_Chutney

I never take breaks as such- I read lots, I just don't post much.

I guess that makes me a lurker.....

Yeah me too, although I've only started reading the boards regularly again in the last couple of weeks after a bit of time out with my new babe.

I do find it hard to start posting again if I haven't in a while. I have to work quite hard to get into the habit again- although alot of the time I intend on posting but when I move the cursor into the empty reply box, I just think nah, I haven't time or my post isn't really worth it (particularly in discussion) or most likely someone will decide they need me urgently right at that moment so I have to log off. rolleyes

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Even reading something with an interesting news story attached to it, which i do on occasion, seems to annoy the people around me who want attention wink

However, right now I am trying to analyse the results of a gel electrophoresis of (many things but at the moment) thrombin that has ... well.. nothing visible ... (in that column)...

So reading here seems at least as productive!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hello... briefly... exams tomorrow so I'm suddenly trying to procrastinate.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The interesting thing about this thread is I can use it to find out how long its been since I've looked at HoP ( frown! ) 5 months. Nothing wrong with this except that I meant to go to a poi event this summer.... spank

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
bad Kyri hug you have indeed been absent welcome back, how is york?

actually sethis hasn't been around much either he's from yorkish too isn't he?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
His internet is pretty sucky. I see him around quite a bit, and his gorgeous staffing gf as well. No one ever really has time for HoP in uni, though...

And york is good, didn't flood nearly as much as anywhere else. A bit on the touristy side and the races causing some trouble, but still beautiful as always, especially the swans.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Page: