PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
After my show on NYE I am going to a party with the theme of "Dead Celebrity"

The idea is that you come dressed as your favorite dead celebrity (but as them in their heyday, not all zombie like).

Originally I wanted to go as Queen E. I or Veronica Franco however those costumes are too lavish to change into quickly.

Which leaves me with three more convenient options and I can't decide.

Persephone
Janis Joplin
Little Egypt (the first American bellydancer to be publically recognised)

What are your opinions?
I know there will be a tonne of Marilyn Monroes, Cleopatras, etc. so I really wanted to go down a different lane.

Thanks! biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
janis joplin gets my vote pelé......................... ooooooooooo and my local poi store has ONLY now just got a dvd featuring you biggrin

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If you're willing to don a monobrow and a 'tasche I'd suggest Frida Kahlo tongue

I wouldn't've thought of Persephone as a celebrity! Or Cleopatra for that matter...

With Little Egypt - if you think you can do her justice GO FOR IT GIRL!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You have a local poi store Ravehead? Wow. Any videos featuring me are free through here so, ummmm, weird.

Written by: Neon_Shaolin

If you're willing to don a monobrow and a 'tasche I'd suggest Frida Kahlo tongue

I wouldn't've thought of Persephone as a celebrity! Or Cleopatra for that matter...

With Little Egypt - if you think you can do her justice GO FOR IT GIRL!

Okay that was funny about Frida but no thanks! I'd be afraid it would tickle me all night! lol
The host didn't say they had to be a celebrity when they were alive. And Persephone and Cleopatra definately are now! wink

Since I've been bellydancing for 14 or so years, and since I've seen videos of her dancing, I have no fears on the Little Egypt end at all.

Okay so One Janis, One Egypt.
Anyone else wanna chime in here?

Pele

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
rita hayworth (sp)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ummm...while I really appreciate the input fif, I don't have a Hayworth worthy costume which is why I listed them silly! :crazy:

Spanner, in my mythos class we learned that most of the "people" were real to a certain degree, or based on someone in reality and we simply have associated a common name with it. And some people are posthumously famous, which still applies which is why Persephone made the list. tongue wink

I don't mind explaining Little Egypt and I would bet the drunks wouldn't want an explanaition! ubblol

However, I will count that as a vote for Janis! wink

(and thanks! I intend to have boat loads of fun!!! My show will be over and I won't be driving! wink )

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
lucille ball?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Since I've been bellydancing for 14 or so years, and since I've seen videos of her dancing, I have no fears on the Little Egypt end at all.

Going on what you've said here, I'd say go for Little Egypt, adn have fun smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
fif...too funny! The only red wigs I have is a clown wig and a mermaid wig! lol

Thanks for the vote FBN! Fun *will* be had!

Pele

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Bloody Mary/ Calamity Jane/ Mother Theresa... any appropriate wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
What about Queen Boadicia? https://images.google.co.nz/images?q=queen+boadicea&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&sourceid=tipimg
Be great if you can make a wearable chariot with huge scythes for hubcaps! "Moderate that!" party goers!!! biggrin

Or if you wanted an even feircer look, go for Medusa...
Just don't look in any mirrors!

Sorry for the extremely "helpful" suggestions that're completely different to the running favourites!
make it a good one anyway.
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Pele, go as Elvis! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I like the idea of Persephone...but it might not be as easy to pull of as would my personal fave...

Go for Janis!!! She was the absolute coolest!!! peace

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

3,556 posts

Posted:
yeah i vote for janis

(oooo elizabeth taylor, sorry, i had to put one more crazy idea out there-fif heheh, faith works, it took me awhile to realize that fif was me)

Faith

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I looked at my costumes and at last minute decided to sass up one of my bd costumes and go at Mata Hari.

Which was really good as there were 3 Janis Joplin's there.
Faith, there was a Lucy, a Rita and Elizabeth Taylor isn't dead silly!

George, I actually had concidered Bodacia but if I went has her I'd want the breast plate, and I didn't have time to make one. She was awesome.

Mata Hari worked well. Several people didn't know who she was and so I met alot of great people having to explain it...especially to the Marquis De Sade. spank

Thanks for all the input and ideas. My friend has costume parties about 4 times a year, so I know some of these will come up again! lol

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
elizabeth looks a little like death
oooh the marquis
seen quills?

Faith

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I own the movie Quills. It is magnificent!!!! I also own Marquis' memoirs.

Yes. Yes she does look like death. I had a conversation with someone about that last night. I think Liz Taylor has some devil's agreement seriously...or a plastic surgeon who has her body hooked up to a robotic device or some such.

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
sshhhh no one is supposed to know the real liz died a few years ago and they had a robot replace her

Faith