• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:After my show on NYE I am going to a party with the theme of "Dead Celebrity"

The idea is that you come dressed as your favorite dead celebrity (but as them in their heyday, not all zombie like).

Originally I wanted to go as Queen E. I or Veronica Franco however those costumes are too lavish to change into quickly.

Which leaves me with three more convenient options and I can't decide.

Persephone
Janis Joplin
Little Egypt (the first American bellydancer to be publically recognised)

What are your opinions?
I know there will be a tonne of Marilyn Monroes, Cleopatras, etc. so I really wanted to go down a different lane.

Thanks! biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete Topic

alien_oddity
alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 7193
Posted:janis joplin gets my vote pel......................... ooooooooooo and my local poi store has ONLY now just got a dvd featuring you biggrin

Delete

Neon_Shaolin
Neon_Shaolin

hehe, 'Member' huhuh
Total posts: 6120
Posted:If you're willing to don a monobrow and a 'tasche I'd suggest Frida Kahlo tongue

I wouldn't've thought of Persephone as a celebrity! Or Cleopatra for that matter...

With Little Egypt - if you think you can do her justice GO FOR IT GIRL!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Posted:You have a local poi store Ravehead? Wow. Any videos featuring me are free through here so, ummmm, weird.

Written by: Neon_Shaolin

If you're willing to don a monobrow and a 'tasche I'd suggest Frida Kahlo tongue

I wouldn't've thought of Persephone as a celebrity! Or Cleopatra for that matter...

With Little Egypt - if you think you can do her justice GO FOR IT GIRL!

Okay that was funny about Frida but no thanks! I'd be afraid it would tickle me all night! lol
The host didn't say they had to be a celebrity when they were alive. And Persephone and Cleopatra definately are now! wink

Since I've been bellydancing for 14 or so years, and since I've seen videos of her dancing, I have no fears on the Little Egypt end at all.

Okay so One Janis, One Egypt.
Anyone else wanna chime in here?

Pele

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:rita hayworth (sp)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Spanner
Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790
Posted:As you've had to explain to us who Little Egypt was, I think it may depend on whether your fellow partygoers would know who she was, or whether you'd mind explaining each time someone asks you wink

As far as I understand Greek mythology, I don't think I'd count Persephone as even having been alive ubblol

Which leave Janis Joplin but she's at least less obvious than Cleopatra and Marilyn Monroe.

Have fun smile

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Posted:Ummm...while I really appreciate the input fif, I don't have a Hayworth worthy costume which is why I listed them silly! :crazy:

Spanner, in my mythos class we learned that most of the "people" were real to a certain degree, or based on someone in reality and we simply have associated a common name with it. And some people are posthumously famous, which still applies which is why Persephone made the list. tongue wink

I don't mind explaining Little Egypt and I would bet the drunks wouldn't want an explanaition! ubblol

However, I will count that as a vote for Janis! wink

(and thanks! I intend to have boat loads of fun!!! My show will be over and I won't be driving! wink )

Pele

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:lucille ball?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

FireByNite
FireByNite

Are you up for it??
Total posts: 349
Posted: Written by: Pele

Since I've been bellydancing for 14 or so years, and since I've seen videos of her dancing, I have no fears on the Little Egypt end at all.

Going on what you've said here, I'd say go for Little Egypt, adn have fun smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Posted:fif...too funny! The only red wigs I have is a clown wig and a mermaid wig! lol

Thanks for the vote FBN! Fun *will* be had!

Pele

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Bloody Mary/ Calamity Jane/ Mother Theresa... any appropriate wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Sitting down facing forward . . .
Total posts: 2387
Posted:What about Queen Boadicia? http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=queen+boadicea&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&sourceid=tipimg
br>Be great if you can make a wearable chariot with huge scythes for hubcaps! "Moderate that!" party goers!!! biggrin

Or if you wanted an even feircer look, go for Medusa...
Just don't look in any mirrors!

Sorry for the extremely "helpful" suggestions that're completely different to the running favourites!
make it a good one anyway.
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Total posts: 4525
Posted:Pele, go as Elvis! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Bek66
Bek66

Future Mrs Pogo
Total posts: 4728
Posted:I like the idea of Persephone...but it might not be as easy to pull of as would my personal fave...

Go for Janis!!! She was the absolute coolest!!! peace

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:yeah i vote for janis

(oooo elizabeth taylor, sorry, i had to put one more crazy idea out there-fif heheh, faith works, it took me awhile to realize that fif was me)

Faith

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Posted:Okay, so I looked at my costumes and at last minute decided to sass up one of my bd costumes and go at Mata Hari.

Which was really good as there were 3 Janis Joplin's there.
Faith, there was a Lucy, a Rita and Elizabeth Taylor isn't dead silly!

George, I actually had concidered Bodacia but if I went has her I'd want the breast plate, and I didn't have time to make one. She was awesome.

Mata Hari worked well. Several people didn't know who she was and so I met alot of great people having to explain it...especially to the Marquis De Sade. spank

Thanks for all the input and ideas. My friend has costume parties about 4 times a year, so I know some of these will come up again! lol

Pele

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:elizabeth looks a little like death
oooh the marquis
seen quills?

Faith

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Posted:I own the movie Quills. It is magnificent!!!! I also own Marquis' memoirs.

Yes. Yes she does look like death. I had a conversation with someone about that last night. I think Liz Taylor has some devil's agreement seriously...or a plastic surgeon who has her body hooked up to a robotic device or some such.

Pele

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:sshhhh no one is supposed to know the real liz died a few years ago and they had a robot replace her

Faith

Delete