alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
basicly the shop in norwich that sells loads of poi and staffs has come to the realisation that POIPOI merchandise is unethical to sell and firetoys are too expencive so they askedme to find out about tepooka. so what i need is their web addy etc so i can put them in touch with this store, thank you please:D

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I would say that https://www.tepookatoys.com/
might get you there!

Gayle.....!

7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gayle......!

I would say that https://www.tepookatoys.com/
might get you there!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY thank you gayle hug smokes on me if your at play next year hug

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
[Quote]
News:
03/10/2006

Hey there fire spinners,

www.tepookatoys.com has temporarily ceased trading.

We are taking some time out from the day to day business of custom building fire toys to work over and improve everything from our website to the way the company works.

We are not planning on dropping off the face of the Earth though and can be contacted (for reasons other than the building of fire toys) through the usual channels.

thanks for visiting our site and hopefully we'll be hearing from you through the new one,

ben[/Quote]

frown

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Have a word with Oddballs.

I'm not sure about Fire poi... I would recommend Tepooka for them.

Many of the Oddballs Staves are made by Mushypea Steve (you know, the Steve...) He makes a good quality Stick.

See where oddballs get their stuff from. They're pretty damn nice guys in there.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

7,193 posts

Posted:
cheers everybody grouphug

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

(you know, the Steve...) He makes a good quality Stick.

he once graced us with his presence at poiinthepark 2.. oh so many years ago... his sticks are well nice. smile

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
PM coming your way Ravehead...

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
hey there,

I'm ben and I used to run te POOKa toys. te POOKa toys is a part of te POOKa which is a collective of performers and the toys is/was an extension of this, a collection of te POOKa people who wanted to make and sell fire toys. However no one here really wants to do it anymore.

Best thing you can do is make your own. It is surprisingly easy with a little advice. If you want to have ethical fire toys set up a bench in the back of your shop and make them yourself smile PM me if you want details I'm more than happy to share my know how smile

Having said this Te POOKa toys has been through two incarnations so far and has improved each time. It might go through a third so watch this space.

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hmm, interesting... I'll bear in mind that advertising ones own (commercial) website here on HoP is well within the code of ethics ubblol smile

www.poidepot.com will come up next year to deliver you the BEST quality toys at the BEST possible rates wink biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

hmm, interesting... I'll bear in mind that advertising ones own (commercial) website here on HoP is well within the code of ethics ubblol smile

www.poidepot.com will come up next year to deliver you the BEST quality toys at the BEST possible rates wink biggrin

Two things.

1: are we going to have to wait till 2008 confused
(you posted in 2007 and it is 2007 right now so therefore as quoted "we will have to wait till next year"

2: Your website doesn't go any where.. that link doesnt work so why post it confused

just my two cents following...

IMHO te POOKa toys are probably some of the best toys to play with, having worked with them and performed with them using all of thier own equipment i can highly recomend them.. Designed by performers for performers.. says it all really.

Take for instance POIPOI as mentioned in the first post.
A guy and his wife or girlfriend (dont quite remember which) went off travelling .. like a lot of other people found poi whilst in tailand and came back to the UK with the bug.. Him obviously with some cash decided there was a market to have them manufactured.. he went right out with Mouse poi, poipoi and some other different types.
I met him on the beach at brighton, he saw me spinning and told me who he was.. and about his products.. i tried them, i have tried them since and i wouldn't touch them if you gave them to me as a gift he really set out having no idea what poi needed to be like or how they needed to be designed.

Kiwido eek no words.

Poitoy are very good for instance, ok the earlier versions take a little time to remove the cover and tail but even with them they are fantastic to play with. Their ball design makes them distinguishable from all others and very good for even younger people / children.
(i have 10 new sets at my moms house i need to pick up at some point and do some thing with.)
There are so many types of poi available

confused the best thing is to listen at peoples recommendations at homeofpoi, or ask george or malcolm as hop are also wholesalers wink if im not mistaken.

The more poi becomes popular, the more people see oh there is a neich in the market and set up their own poi products with out knowing any thing really about poi... the quantity of poor products available is unbelievable.. but it is down to us the community to write reviews and advise others on whats good or not, but never forgetting that it is the end user that makes their own mind up.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
PK smile Happy new year wink

Will write more, after having served my duties smile wink

7,193 posts

Posted:
well i'm going to forward all the ideas mentioned to this shop, and hope i can get some small discount from them or hopefully advise them on good, ethical, reliable poi/staffs.

i did see a lovely staff in there, nice length, nice weight...........pitty about the grip and they DN'T re-grip staffs so i might put it to them that i could make custom staffs for them in store..who knows

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

PK smile Happy new year wink

Will write more, after having served my duties smile wink

somes times very disturbing that HoP server time ubblol now its jan 2nd ubblol

happy new year to you too.

looking forward to hearing what your putting together with that webby link... poi depot!, leads me to think by my last post just how many poi manufacturers there are in the world. "depot" reminds me some what of seeing the new HoP warehouse when malcolm moved there i was like eek smile

one more point id like to make, probably .. this going away from comet and tail poi such as what poipoi make is fire poi, i remember the best fire poi i have ever used and they were loaned to me by bovrilmonkey at glastonbury 2003, the ones that i used in the User 9 video or the newer in my mind video that i just rereleased in the videos section here on hop.. they were from HoP, cathedral wicked and the weight was balanced completely perfect for me, a nice length of ball chain, and grippy finger loops to top it off. Having used really my personal FireToys Single and Double head for playing for many years (doubles were way too heavy and too much exposed metal), and te POOKa fire toys for their shows, probably i would recommend mostly the HoP Cathedrals with Ball Chain... My recommendation for fire poi, but then they match my preference and some one else maybe completely different from mine, take for instance hyperloops and wibbling etc, not my type of spinning but might be yours, are those poi right for the type of spinning that you do.. this leads to recommending to shops and other people, word of mouth, good publicity and product knowledge and reviews for all points of view if beginner or experienced wibbler like Matt (spherc) but then from beginner comes learning and inspirations / progression... calls for a new set of poi or will one basic set be adequate?

Some juggling shops are likely to sell you any thing with out knowing you or what you can do with poi and with out stocking any other type of poi... which kinda makes HoP one in a million smile where we can discuss whats good for what and whats only good to be thrown in the garbage. ubblol

dunno just a thought.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
not forgetting Matty B...

he made loads of Staffs for PLAY...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

7,193 posts

Posted:
he also taught me how to make said staffs wink

cheers matty hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thanks for minding the time, PK... wink

Well basically I understood, that Malcolm would not appreciate anyone promoting a commercial website, ie. competitor on his forum - which I completely understand and respect.

The mentioning of my intended website therefore was a teaser ubbangel

I just learned that, in order to wholesale poi and staff TO HoP, I would have to move to China - which I oppose for obvious reasons (slave labour amongst others). I was manufacturing my own toys for the past 10 years (only supplying me occasionally with other products when I really was convinced or was forced to do so (due to respect to people who put a lot of effort in developing/ making high quality standard toys)...

To be more specific: The only firestaff I regard as usable for me, are either from fibreglass (unsuitable for contact) or with a solid wooden core (as aluminium bends when you throw it up the air the way I do - and accidentally don't catch it). Point is, that those latter ones are requiring intense labour (which usually is unaffordable to the average spinner - especially when using good kevlar). I also have not been able to find any (LASTING) staff that can be broken down in pieces... shrug I have not been able to come across anyone who was completely satisfied with his (after years of usage)

This is one of the reasons why I shift my production to India. The problems by doing this, is finding the appropriate space and people to work together with and this requires a lot of effort, time and patience.

This lead me to the prediction that my web shop might only come on-line by 2008 (I hope earlier, but I like to be extremely realistic, rather than living a pipe-dream).

My emphasis is "fair-trade" and delivering highest quality standards - both is not met in China. In order to be competitive many are moving their production there (not mentioning names here rolleyes ).

Further my personal emphasis is: making firetoys from firespinners FOR firespinners - ie. to be inside the community (I am still caught up in ideals - call me economically stupid if you want)...

But I simply believe in my ideals and rather sacrifice my business than compromising on them and live a lie.

spank vs. hug

got it? wink just my 2 rupees shrug

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
damn fair points there Tom... i totally agree.

One point though.. take apart staves!.. i know that liam tempest has had his for years now for as long as i have known him.. (2000 we met).. hes still playing hard with his and his little doubles, all three are alu with cathedral wicking.

Though for me the tubing is too thin.. but then he is tall and thin so must be a personality thing wink .

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smile

Maybe it's just the way I play them and that I l.o.v.e. playing in the sand redface killer for all sorts of screwed take apart staff devil Light staff I tend to throw really high up rolleyes therefore eek call me "Bender" wink

Hope to meet you somewhere along the track, stay good hug

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

not forgetting Matty B...

he made loads of Staffs for PLAY...

stolen i tell you stolen!! wink

ubblol

New design of stick is coming........ tiz much nicer and better in my opinion.......im currently making sticks to order if anyone is interested........

i have a que ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

7,193 posts

Posted:
how much £££ are we talking for a staff strugs???

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Hope to meet you somewhere along the track, stay good hug

on the track... go north past the leaning tower for 30 km's then take a right into the mountains, and I'm tucked away in there. ubbrollsmile staffs most welcome.

Hey and good luck with your venture, I look forward to see how it all goes. hug

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I'm with Ravehead how much for a stick?

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i heart concentrate staves

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always