IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I don't know if anyone else out there is getting a little frustrated with broken links to 'amazing' videos but I guess I'm not alone.

What do people think of the idea of having some sort of centralised repository for the all-time great vids (by HoP members)? Hosting wouldn't necessarily be an issue as it could probably be done through YouTube or similar.

I was kind of envisioning something like a YouTube channel where videos that got a certain number of votes would be uploaded (with the help and permission of the video-owner). It'd also be nice if people could suggest an old video which could be featured for a week / month and, if it got enough votes it too would be immortalised.

My main issue is with a lot of the 'classic' videos that still get talked about being VERY hard to pin down given that their original links have expired. I think it'd also be a nice way for newer members to get an idea of the timeline of where a lot of the stuff that's being done today came from (and maybe rediscover some old gems).

So, without further ado...

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I agree that alot of "good ol' stuff" is very hard to track down

All for it from my point of view as long as it's ok with the person who provided/is in the video

Are you up for it?
wink;)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
hmm.. nice idea, but where do you draw the line as something being a 'classic' video? also half I think it's kind of fun to search for things and turn up old vids that are still hosted somewhere but everyone has forgotten about. Also, there is a rating system on HoP threads that facilitates searching, if a few more people use it it should make it pretty easy to find classic vids

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, some links are broken and others are removed for more space, some aren't on hop for lack of allowed space...
but if we rate the thread it's posted on that could dictate the "classics"

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
why should it just be limited to "classics"? how bout take the ego out of it and have a resource where anyone can add their video, seems a bit more in keeping with the hop inclusionary attitude.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I like the ideas guys smile

I'm not so fussed about what / who we include, if fact, I'm completely up for the all-inclusiveness. When I say 'classic' I mostly just mean old, I don't know if they're good/bad because I just can't get hold of them!

What I'm basically saying is that it'd be great to have one page that you can go to and quickly find the video you want. A rating / classification system would still be good to help people find what they want quickly (which is kind of the point). Unlike LazyAngel, I really don't like hunting around for ages frown My issue with the thread ratings is that, on the Videos section, you rate a thread on how 'informative' it is. I find that a bit one-dimensional as it'd be good to segregate the tutorial vids, the performance vids and the fun vids.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the HoP threads' format, they serve their function perfectly. I was just thinking of supplementing what was already there smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
i'm sure you can find some if you search for em. wink Worse comes to worse you ask someone on HoP if they have it on their computers.

I uploaded a few on my youtube for safekeeping, in case my hard drive ever decides to go to hell.

www.youtube.com/KaelGotRice

Like the ones of Cass that I will treasure forever ubbangel

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
most of mine are on www.myspace.com/international_smuggler

when i get around to it rob gave me permission to upload his to the same page... i've started just have to find the time to finish.

There is even that illumninati test video too wink

Kael ... the spinning in Paris videos by anychangce?

I have loads of old videos on my drive.. wonder if Glass remembers that video i made of all of his fu** ups wink

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Yes! I have those.

There's many others I didn't upload because there are still working links, like bluecat's and other poiinthepark videos which were inspiring to me when I was a wee lad getting started up in poi wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Why not have one of the mods create a youtube channel. You then submit the video to the said "mod" and after it is reviewed and dubbed clean, then it's uploaded to youtube.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
why create more work for the mods? ... could you imagine who much time and effort that would be needed with all of the uploads for them! confused

how many GB's of videos are posted in the hop forums alone? wink

Maybe a wiki or some thing along those lines would be a good one for this ... i dont know confused maybe all of the advice that i can give right now.

Other than i try to keep my old links updated as much as i can.. i just re updated my thread but it needs more work when i can finish uploading the pooka videos... once i have finished i will update the whole first post.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Like I said above, I'm very happy with what HoP does, and I don't want to lump more responsibility on mods hug

I like the idea of a wiki, very inclusive smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i have a copy of perhaps every early HoP video released.... there are Gigs of stuff since early vids like drew n staff.

6 year old vids are not representative of where each video performer are at today, so i'd take care about permission before any mass upload.

mayhap we can have some vegemite-related section.
mmmm vitamin-tastic.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always