• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Tweens: Sexy, Sassy and Still in Primary School

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1234
Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:The Tweenager

The word "Teenager" was coined in the 1920s and it seems the Noughties (= 00s for those who didn't know) is coining the "Tweenager"

Honestly, it makes me want to cry and to never bring kids into such a world. I see Bratz birthday cakes in my job all the time, and as Pineapple Pete will tell you, they make me want to scream. I see little girls in knee high boots and mini-skirts asking me to put "My Humps" or "anything by the PussyCat Dolls" on and it just makes me so sad. My own mother was worried when I started listening to the Spice Girls who sang about Girlpower and friendship. And I was 11. These girls are 6 and listening to song lyrics that say "loosen up my buttons, baby"

Any parents out there like to comment? Any younger ones like me who are worried about the world they will bring children in to?

EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1166795427)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete Topic

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:i did better than most of the guys in rotc

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted: Written by: Pele

And we have a rule here. If you want to dress like a punk, a thug, whatever...go ahead...but there are guidelines (like keeping the pants pulled up and the boxers covered up).

I don't really see the problem with boys who show their boxers, it's not like they're wearing offensive t-shirts with the slogan "jesus is a c**t" (i've seen kids wear those!)

My brother used to wear really baggy jeans (when he was a skater boy!) and his boxers were always on display. But he's the nicest guy ever.

I don't think clothes make *that* much of a difference to how a kid acts, or music for that matter. I think if a kid has a sense of self worth and self respect and respect for others then he/she should be allowed the responsibility to dress how they like (within reason) and listen to whichever artists they prefer.

Then again I'm not a parent so it's easy for me to sit back and give my thoughts!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:I can understand that Jo, and I do. However, his school has rules against undies showing, and I don't think it is a bad one. T-shirts like that aren't even an option. There is no reason for undies showing. If he was a girl, the whole thong showing thing would be an absolute no.

When kids are "finding" themselves they do try different styles and act according to what they wear. Maybe not all kids but I've seen alot who do it.

Just wait, someday...:P

I shudder to think what people who are parents of tweens will be looking at in 10 years. Ugh. How can it get worse than Britney Spears flashing everyone? *bleh*

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:oh, we had uniforms at school! I was talking about outside school.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Pele

Pele

the henna lady

Posted:Ahhh...yeah. No uniforms here which also means no undies showing! lol

Pele

Delete

alien_oddity

alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 7193
Posted:the effects of being materialistic

spoiled child

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:Spoilt kids are the worst!

Delete

Pele

Pele

the henna lady

Posted:That reminds me of the show on MTV "My Super Sweet 16" about rich kids sweet 16 parties. I watched it once with Noah and was sooooo disgusted I wouldn't let him watch it again. Even from the commercials you can tell these kids are obscenely spoiled and need to do some chronically dirty community service.

I have alot of fear that my niece's daughter is going to be like that. At a year old she already has a $600 cat, diamond earrings and a gold bracelet. It's quite disgusting.

Pele

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:I've seen that show, Pele.

Perhaps you should let your son watch it so he can be repulsed by them as well!!

My friend's daughter is 4 and is getting quite spoilt. When I go to visit, my friend is always suprised that I don't let her daughter boss me around. She says that most people just do what her daughter wants.

It's a real shame because my friend is lovely, but treating her daughter like that isn't doing any of them any favours at all.

Delete

Pele

Pele

the henna lady

Posted: Written by: jo_rhymes

My friend's daughter is 4 and is getting quite spoilt. When I go to visit, my friend is always suprised that I don't let her daughter boss me around. She says that most people just do what her daughter wants.

It's a real shame because my friend is lovely, but treating her daughter like that isn't doing any of them any favours at all.

A few years ago I did a tour and was in one city where I stayed with one of the local women. She is an AMAZING woman and performer whom I have really come to adore.
Her daughter however...wow. She bossed *everyone* and when I wouldn't stand for it the girl was shocked. Noah was with me and wouldn't either. That little girl was the sweetest thing to us but treated everyone else like a playground.

While we were there this girl had a birthday party with all her friends at a local attraction. We were invited along, which was wonderful. When it was time for anything the mom would try to chase each kid down and say very meekly "It's time to settle down now." Her daughter hit her and she let her get away with it "because it's her birthday". It was painful to watch and alot of time passed! When the mom expressed her frustration to me I stood up and yelled "(girl's name here) if you want cake you will come and sit now!" All the kids came running and sat at the table just fine. I was named "party mom"...but the point is, I shouldn't have been.

Sometimes they really do want direction.

Later the mom explained to me that her parenting style is, I kid you not, "interested neglect". eek

Yeah, my jaw hit the floor too.

Lovely, wonderful people truly but a bit backwards in that respect imo.

Oh, and Noah was pretty turned off by the one time he saw the show and mocks the commercials of it. Good kid! biggrin

Pele

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

Posted:first, clothes may make no difference in how the kid acts, but it makes a difference on how people react. you can tell people it's not the clothes that make the difference, but first impressions are made on body language and general appearance. how you speak usually comes after how you look simply because you see someone often before talking.
world is not perfect you are judged on your clothes and that includes when looking for first jobs and such

second, money is not a bad thing, having nice things is not a bad thing. not appreciating it is a bad thing. if these girls go to private school and belong to any clubs, some clubs have community service requirements. NHS has a requirement. awards often have a service element required. private schools have service clubs. that club was the biggest in my high school and the most active. high society throws parties for coming of age, it is a big blowout to mark their coming of age. so what. should we hate on the hispanics with their quinceneras, which are often legendary and cost as much as if not more than many peoples weddings.
some of the nicest, grounded people were people who had disgusting amounts of money. they used this money in activism for the community, making donations to local shelters and youth programs
well off does not mean spoiled...we have been brainwashed to hate the rich-they have something we don't and we deserve it-what did they ever do-and blah blah blah
soapbox

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

FireByNite
SILVER Member since Dec 2004

FireByNite

Are you up for it??

Total posts: 349
Posted:Faith, clothes generally do make a difference to how a child acts. As they start getting older ,self esteem comes into it alot. If a child/tween/teenager has on nice clothes they feel better about themselves, and consequently are more confident and outgoing. Granted it doesn't with all kids but with most, it does.

I have not seen people complaining about "rich" people on this thread, only complaining about parents and their rich spoilt children and what effect that has on them.

I do agree that some of the nicest and well-grounded people are well off, and do alot of great community work for other people. Without this help, most communities would suffer greatly.

Edit: alot of spoilt kids don't come from well off families. The word spoilt doesn't mean rich as well.

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:firebynite, i think faith was debating me, because I suggested that clothes are not so important. smile

I don't think anyone is debating the fact that spoilt kids necessarily are from rich parents. I know plenty of people who spoil their children, people who aren't well off.

Delete

Rouge Dragon
BRONZE Member since Jul 2003

Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here

Total posts: 13215
Posted:Found something worse than Bratz!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

wonderloey

wonderloey

enthusiast

Total posts: 255
Posted:Faith, one of the hardest lessons for any child to learn is that they will be judged on myriad things that don't really matter about them. For example, the colour of their skin, the religion of their family, what kind of clothes they wear.

Its really important for kids to grasp that what other people think doesn't matter. If you believe that you should change yourself to meet others expectations, what comes next? Change religion? Dye/Bleach your skin? That you do have to compromise your inner self sometimes to get ahead (go to work in officy type clothes) or sometimes you might decide that you don't want to do that kind of compromise. Kids need to understand the judgements and the compromises, and make their own call about how far they want to take it.

I like Pele's philosophy.. It doesn't matter what you wear/what you look like... Its how you behave that really matters.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted: Written by: wonderloey

If you believe that you should change yourself to meet others expectations, what comes next? Change religion? Dye/Bleach your skin?

Indeed.
I've just come home from a lecture on fashion as a relationship between identity and environment.
One of the first points that was made was that, whereas fashion used to sculpt the female body, with crinolines, corsets, push-up bras etc., people are now more commonly directly sculpting their own bodies through plastic surgery as a first resort.
Another point was that fake is becoming the new real, or norm.
I can't think of many role models for children who aren't, at the very least, airbrushed into perfection in media, but children don't necessarily realise that this happens, so I'm not surprised that some teenagers - possibly even tweens - go to the other extreme of considering plastic surgery to conform to this 'ideal', even before they're fully grown frown

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

jo_rhymes

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Posted:bloody hell Rouge! I did a google image search for Saaya, the 11 year old in the magazine articles. It's food for paedophiles.

Delete

faith enfire

faith enfire

Posted:yeah people will judge you by your clothes, and "nice" clothes, i hate them and don't feel better in them
don't care what other people think, but know that you do have to manipulate their thoughts on you
when you go gothed out to turn in applications or interviews, play your look down
there is a time and a place for certain clothes

Faith

Delete

Page: 1234