Forums > Social Discussion > Miss- enter state or country name here

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There are always such controversies surround Miss America, Miss Universe, Miss-whatever-

Vanessa Williams was dethrowned for old nude photos (which were actually very artistic and lovely). The new one has a drinking infraction so she was facing dethrownment.

How far do you think their responsibilites lie?
When are they allowed to be human again?
Do you think their job is harder than it was, say 50 years ago due to tech and media advances?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
A similar issue cropped up here in South Africa:

Written by: The Sunday Times

Miss South Africa finalist, Catherine Reiters,20, from Lynwood in Pretoria, burst into tears when the show’s producers ruled that her dress,shown above, was too ’revealing’ for the pageant and that she should not wear it to the finals at the Sun City Superbowl. The red halterneck gown was created by local designer Bongiwe Walaza. Picture: Elizabeth Sejake [/Quote]

Non-Https Image Link

If it is PG, let me know and i'll delete it tongue

Most of the readers who send in letters and comments thought that the dress apparopriate. One of the negative commenters thought that it was a bad example to set for the younger viewers of the pagent shrug
EDITED_BY: WOFT (1166690810)

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Bad examples for young viewers? Personally I think the concept of beauty pageants in themselves are "bad examples for young viewers"

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I think beauty pageants are just the tip of the iceberg, where the entire media's view of what constitutes beauty is a bad example to everyone.

All those psychological tricks used to make us want to buy stuff are doing a great job of causing a whole load of psychological problems that just didn't exist before TV (namely associating this skewed view of beauty with wealth, success and attraction to the opposite sex).

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well... they sign a form with the rules. If you get yourself on tv and get some money out of a contract that says "no nude pictures" and "appropriate behaviour as a role model", then don't go making nude pictures and take illegal drugs, including alcohol if you happen to be under the legal age.

Their responsibilities lie with keeping their contract. A lot of people have them, like sport professionals who are to avoid risk to their bodies outside their profession. For a Miss (read: her sponsors), her image is everything. If you don't like it, don't participate.

Or wait a year until it's the next Miss's turn and have all the fun and artistic pictures then biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think that one of Pele's main points was "old" nude photos. Which I think brings in the question, at what point will they stop delving into people's pasts?
and a drinking infraction? when? They got suspended in highschool for being drunk?
when I was in year 8, for the year 12 prefect election they ran into a big problem: one of the rules was that no candidate was allowed to have a suspension on their record...but that year, it turned out that all of the candidates, bar one, had been suspended at some time or other! They had to revise the rule after that! so are they all now excluded from pageants as well?

When do they become human? Interesting question, because often I don't think of them as human in the first place. Pretty much because of how fake the whole situation is and how plastic it is. but i think that while they need to be role models, i think it is very important for them to be human as well. otherwise, not only are they portraying to young people that "thou must be thin and flawless" but also "thin, flawless and practically perfect in every way" which I think creates an even greater self confidence issue.
The recent Aussie Miss Universe had an unfortunately accident at a fashion show where her dress came off exposing her g-string. and the event actually increased her popularity, not because the worlds current hottest arse was flashed on tv, but because she was human.

and yes, i do think their job is harder with media pressure. but also, over the last 100 years, the average body shape has changed. therefore that is also a new factor that is much harder than 50 years ago.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
All this talk of role models. Who on earth looks up to beauty queens? These sort of conversations give me the impression that there are thousands yay millions of impressionable children watching beatuty contests and who's only dream is to be miss world. Has anyone ever met a kid like this this?

I can't really get angry about any aspect of beauty contests they seem to me be a mostly harmless irrelevance.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
well they have to exist, otherwise pageants wouldn't have any competitors to drive them

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
I would just like to take this moment to comment on the new laws about models haveing to be above size 0

haha take that stupid pencil women

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ooops, missed out on the "old" in the nude piccies. Still, it's the rules... don't sign up for it if you can't do it.

Just because I think I might be coming across as supporting the pageants: I don't. But I have no pity for whoever chooses to be part of that staging, just like I don't pity anyone who goes on "american idol" or "big brother" or the likes, and then complains about their private lives being dragged out in public.

You want to be known for your body? Don't expect anyone to care about your being human. If that's what you want, go and work somewhere where you help people, not as a beauty queen. shrug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
oh, but beauty queens want "world peace" *puts on cheesy grin and batts eyelashes*

rolleyes

tongue

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
So do I smile Now give me my crown and skimpy dress ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

But now give them back because your dress is too revealing! spank

ubblol
EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1166705963)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
one of the issues was because she was underage
when they become miss whatever there is a morality contract, tara connor was out partying hard...there are alleged cocaine use as well...i thought it was funny that she snuck men into the flat (somehow that is against the contract too)
if you do not want to abide by these rules a)do not enter the competition or b)get better at hiding it

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Tara Connor was also rumoured to be making out with miss teen USA, Katie Blair, in a NYC nightclub. I don't know if the stories are true, but I'd be more than willing to review any video "evidence" wink