Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Hey people, i have a dilema here with myself.
last saturday, i been at this party in brasil, this really big rave thing.
and there was a group of fire twirlers.
they were REALLY unpro.
they put on this show (that wasnt good at all, all they did was scream and twirl with no reason or story)
so let me start with the errors they made:
one of the poi spinners used too little kevlar, so it soaked too little kerosene and she spinned fast as hell and the fire got put out each time.
that same fire twirler only did a 3 beat weave, i was thinking she needed some more experience before she can light fire?
the single firestaff spinner, didnt know how to spin at all.
he just switched hands a lot, and on my opinion he needs to actully spin to use fire!
next, they spun on grass... need i say more?
one of the two firestaffs spinner used a WHOLLLLE lot of kerosene, so when he spun, fire went flyin on the people.
when i told the group`s leader that he needs less kerosene, he just told me: "he knows what he`s doin, its his signature"
a signature? the guy`s signature is throwing flaming kerosene on unsuspecting bystanders?
and keep in mind this was a group of fire spinners, so there was a lot of people around them watching, about 70 people.
ok, next thing.
on of the chicks from the group that didnt actually twirl, but she kept an eye on the kerosene and watched so no one got burned.
so that girl, poured a whole lot of kerosene into a bucket (..........) and pushed the bucket, near the spinners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i told her that she sould keep it away from the spinners, as far away as possible, but she just gave me a sour look and pushed the bucket closer to them!!!
wtf?!
also, when one spinner`s turn in the circle of light ended, he would get out of the circle and put the (STILL FLAMING) poi,staff,hoolahoop (how`s that called?) on the ground.
now, it wasnt ok to start with, but the floor was grassy!
so the grass caught fire! and they didnt bother to put it out!
so one of the dancers (with the flaming hoolahoop thingy) was dancing around, she stepped on the fire!!!!
OMG, i went to help her, but she smiled and cotinued spinning...
so all in all, do you think these people should be allowed to spin fire?
Marcio

Love is Life

NelumGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
it´s really scary when people think it´s ok to play with fire.....

I have had really big fights with my older sister.....

she has to teenage daughters that Fire breath without any knowledge. And my sister just lets them.....can you belive she side....."what can happen".......

....i replayed "THEY CAN DIE".
EDITED_BY: Nelum (1166737236)

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
yeah bro, i had a friend that actually has his face deformed now from fire breathing.
i dont really understand a lot about fire breathing, but i think he kept the torch in front of him after blowing, and the kerosene he spitted out came back to his face...
ill try to upload a picture to show people what could happen.
and take responsibility bro, take images form the net and show ur sister, let her know the danger.
BooM

Love is Life

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
did the organisers of this rave know what was happening?
sounds like they could've done with more practice and some orange cones (like small traffic cones) around where they were doing it
sounds like it was lucky that no-one got hurt

Are you up for it?
wink;)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
sounds like every rave firespinner i ever saw.

*shrug* common, its a rave, its not ment to be safe.

T wave

fire breathing wink

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
not likely bro.

i was at the soulclipse in turkey, and the fire twirlers there were highly pro, and in the boom festival as well.

it IS supposed to be safe.

its a rave, sure, but fire is still dangerous.

and those fire spinner swerent individuals, they werent like, brought some equipment and lit up.

those people were hired by the party, they were supposed to be pro's.

those guys, were getting money for it...

Love is Life

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah sorry.

its just something you used to see alot, a thowback to the last fire age.

i always thought it was stupid.

maybe talk to the promotor, they wont last long like this, a couple of years...

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i have to say i've spun with fire at outdoor illoegal raves quite a few times and.........

A) if it's an illegal party it's NOT down to the rig, crew or the organisors what people do.

B) grass is safe to spin on as long as it's damp (in england thats not always a problem)

when ever i've done fie at a rave i usually walk round first with my staffand talk to people, find out who spins, if they have fire toys with them and then i find a safe pace in full view but far enough away so that people can spin an do something different.

i will say that i NEVER lend my staff to anybody and if somebodys off their nut i won't even metion that there's going to be some fire twirlers. safetys the golden rule with fire but it all depends on all cirumstances added together with environment, crowd safety and most of all personal judgment

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
ah, but this rave wasnt illegal.
in brasil raves are all legal....
and if u didnt read it correctly, THOSE GUYS WERE HIRED.

Love is Life

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pinkadelic

, take images form the net and show ur sister, let her know the danger.
BooM

This cheerful little tribe is full of the sort of images that make me that little bit more careful
https://fireartinjuries.tribe.net/

NelumGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
OHH...The hands, the hands. eek.....ooh my hands hurt just by sing the "Krispy Fingers".

The problem is my sister dos not respond to scare tactics or even common sense....It must come from hear mothers side of the family. smile
EDITED_BY: Nelum (1166918747)

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
try telling her every time u breath you take in chemical vapours in large portions, Not to mention the stuff that trickles down the back of your thoart no matter how careful someone is... Then you got the fuel that dosnt vapourise that lands on you down ur chin and chest which is easy to set on fire with a tourch which is being moved around. then you got the dangour of pillars collpasing, Look at pele for a closer look on the effects of that.

Most people think its fun to do and sure it will give a adrenaline buzz but still will spinning staff or poi or whatever you chose to spin.

The final thing to mention is people might think oh i can tell when something like a wind change is going to happen or where a air eddie is but unless you have a degree in weather how are you going to know whats going to happen in the next five seconds. I have had small pillars come back on me after 4 years of doing breathing i llost a lot of my hair i got away lucky some people are not so lucky stay safe.

I gave up breathing a while back now mostly cuz i got ill from the chem in the fuel but also cuz spinning poi is far more fun... Sure it looks cool but it can kill you so easily.

Theres one rule when you work with fire and thats to respect it something that when i look around me at free partys at drunk people playing with fire and at people spinning fire for the hell of it seem to ignore and thats to respect the fire and that is prehaps one of the most important things.

If you do still decide to carry on fire breathing please make sure you have a spotter to help if the worst was to happen and make sure you take your msds with you to take to a hospitail if you need to go. its also just good practise to take fire blankets etc and to not do it in public areas without insurance.

RESPECT THE FIRE!!!

P.S: this is not ment to be a rant just trying to tell people bout the hazards of breathing

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
I agree with you, mikefromglos.
but you got to understand that people dont care.
like, when i was at this party, believe me i tried to get the time bomb bucket filled with kerosene away from the spinners, but they didnt care, gave me a sour look and just ignored.
and when i told the "leader" that one of the spinners is leaking kerosene (Flaming kerosene, that is) he just replied: "He knows what he`s doing"
so you see, they think they know better, they dont really understand that you just want to help, they want to show off... and thats a pity.
people like that totally ruin the whole fire twirling, parties scene.
because of a jackass like that, about 10 people (or more if the flaming kerosene from hell reached the kerosene filled bucket) could`ve died or get injured very seriousely.
We should all take fire very seriously, and not play around with it... but instead dance around with it wink
BooM

Love is Life

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
my signiture is to throw a hand grenade into the crowd. everyone who isn't in the direct vicinity thinks it's awesome. but anyways, if you think you could have done better, you should talk to the promoters about getting your much more professional act to do the gig. having bucket of kerosene right there near the fire spinners isn't really safe... however, you can't light kerosene on fire as a liquid state unless you have a REALLY hot flame. you could have put the poi out by dropping it into the kerosene. you can try an expiriment if you want to. get a cup of kerosene and drop a match into it and watch what happens. white gas on the other hand... very dangerous nearby. now, stepping on fire... if she smiled, it didn't hurt her. it's ok. I hold fireballs in my hands for sheer shock value. and the crowds love it. grass is also one of the safest things to spin on. you can light grass on fire but it won't spread. at least not fast. really dry grass is no good. nor are fallen leaves. but I'm yet to witness a wild fire started by fire dancing. and we've all seen many spinners light grass on fire and not bother to put it out. as for people who can only do a weave and light it on fire? good for them. as I said, if you think you can do it better, then you should. I don't want to see anyone die by spitting fire. though I have heard of it happening and I know a kid who deformed himself, everytime I've heard of it, alcohol was involved. either having consumed it or used it to breathe. I also breathe fire sometimes and it's another thing I do purely for shock value. and that's the thing about breathing fire, it's not supposed to look safe. but you have to use the right fuel. I'd suggest parrafin, or ultra pure lamp oil rather. but imagine if fire spinning were a nice safe thing to do. it wouldn't have nearly the draw. now, I understand that you're concerned. but sometimes you have to let someone scare you and try not to be paranoid.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
where we "practice" in auckland, it's always on grass - sweet, but the fuel is always kept away from the spinning area and people use a side area to spin off excess fuel.

Yes fire spinning isn't supposed to "look" safe but.

Written by: jaero

having bucket of kerosene right there near the fire spinners isn't really safe... however, you can't light kerosene on fire as a liquid state unless you have a REALLY hot flame. you could have put the poi out by dropping it into the kerosene.

btw jaero, I dont know where your situated but kero is definately known for harder to light in colder climates.

down here? a simple lighter works very nicely. and I'm not talking about just with fire poi. I'm meaning a whole pile of liquid.

I guess it also depends on what you class as a very hot flame biggrin

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
i know its not safe, i already burned myself pretty hard on the elbow, got a scar there till this day.

and we all know, that when we get burned, w dont let the crowd see it.

when i got burned, i just kept on spinning, its after the show that i noticed that my elbow was burning...

and getting a bucket of kerosene near the spinners is NEVER good, no matter what you say about it. (and lighting up kerosene isnt that hard, its actually kind of easy...)

and of course im concerned, i dont care about the spinners, they know the dangers.

im worried about the audience.

those are people that are thinking: "This is completely harmless, and those fire sparkles that seem to fly on me is ok, no problem there"

they dont know the dangers, and its not fair to them.

there is no use trying to justify this kinda thing...

when you light the poi while he has excessive paraffin on it, and then burn other people and just say: he knows what he`s doing, is no use!

if you take the responsibility of lighting fire near people, you cant think: it aint safe, if they think otherwise, screw them.

you gotta take responsibility for it, fire isnt safe, but its also not a game (per say)

and there are other methods of lighting pois or staffs or anything.

i never said i think im better than them (though i think i am) but i only said, that people need to know something about this thing instead of just rushing to fire and getting themselves and others that have nothing to do with it, burned.

Love is Life

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Pinkadelic, really the only thing you could do is to contact the organizers of the party and let them know that they hired morons who could have created a huge liability.

Most organizers ( and audience members too) just assume competence and professionalisim when they hire fire spinners, and may not even be aware that an issue like this has arisen. It's up to you to let them know about it, chances are, no one else has, and they may be planning on hiring these guys at their next party.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Pink, I like your attitude - it shows that you C.A.R.E.

At the end of the day, the only thing you might be able to do, is to talk to the people who HIRED those censored and tell them how unsafe and dangerous their behaviour is/ has been. Point out the possible consequences.

The only thing you are able to do further is to talk to the spinners OUTSIDE the rave and try to educate them.

As a "gringo" you have little to no chance anyways and (as I experienced) some spinners feel god-like (especially on the venue) and listening to criticism would take away much from their status and ego-polish.

What I personally would ask you to do, I send you via PM.

Bom gia smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sucky people suck.

frown

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Sucky people do suck =]
and tom, GRINGOS RULE! wink