Forums > Help! > Which fuel should i use???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Alright, im should be getting my first set of fire poi with in the next couple days here and i waz wondering which fuel would u guys suggest i use???? And where should i look for it????

Should i jus use lamp fuel u get at a hardware store???

I know this is probly a super noob question but i figured id ask neways cuz its better im safe than sry.....

ubbloco

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
For fire poi you want to use paraffin (kerosene in U.S. and probably some other places). It's the only fuel i would ever use. You can pick it up from any hardware store

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/WhichFuel.php

and

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/

if you have any other questions.

If you do a search there's also lots more information on the properties of fuels and which ones are good for what.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Kero is kind of hard to find in the southern states. I would suggest kero, but if you cant find it you can use coleman camp fuel or some other kind of white gas.
EDITED_BY: Jew_Nasty (1166640263)

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
KEROSENE! dont use any other stuff!
kerosene can be found in barbecue alcohol thingies.
or u can use colemans lamp oil, lamp oil is good.
but either way, use kerosene if u can.
it doesnt release smoke, gets put off easily, and if it flies off the poi and reaches someone, it wont burn them (or u if it touches u, just remember to use kevlar and not normal cloth)
Salam

Love is Life

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I agree with Pinkadelic

If you can get kerosene, it's definitely the safest fuel (specially for a beginner)

works for me smile

where abouts are you based?

I just buy it from the local supermarket or petrol station ovre here in NZ

Are you up for it?
wink;)

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
i know by me they sell lamp oil at craft stores and k-marts. Lamp oil is the same paraffin, just more refined, so its more expensive, but it smells and smokes a lot less.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
im located in california.....

Ive looked at the ace hardware and all they have is lamp oil and then i looked at home depot and they didnt have nething : / May be ill try walmart or something and c if they have kerosene there..... If not im jus gonna go with lamp oil

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
GlobalJ, it seems you are a new member... so take the time to read the mamy articles and threads on this topic. Names of fuels vary from country to country, and there have been many discussions about it. For instance, kero is recommended in this thread as being great. I used it when I started off but never use it any more, as we have access in my city to odourless fuels that are much better. In the UK it is standard (though they call it paraffin): but visiting Yanks are shocked that it is so sooty. On the other hand, we are shocked they use white gas in US (much more dangerous as the vapours are explosive). Etcetcetc. If you have lamp oil available locally it is probably the best thing for you as it is not so smelly/smoky as kero or explosive as white gas.

To find existing threads, use the search link. Not the one at the very top of the page, but the one in smaller writing at the same level as 'welcome globalj'. The instructions are easy and it gives you access to years of information.

Cheers

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all ur help u guys!!! I really appriciate it..... I think im jus gonna get the lamp oil..... But what r yalls views on mixing white gas and lamp oil???

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I think the two would seperate seeing as how the lamp oil would be heavier than the white gas. Maybe not 'cause i might be wroung.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I jus picked up a gallon of " LAMPLIGHT Ultra-Pure" its says its smokeless and odorless and says that its is 99% pure liquid wax paraffin candle and lamp liquid...... Is that the right stuff????

I also found a spot to get white gas, kero and lamp oil so should i use kero or should i jus stick with the lamp oil i got??

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
this knicked from another thread

Quote: TheGreatSaint

https://zenstoves.net/Fuels.htm
(read about the kerosen, yes it's also called paraffin, not to be confused with paraffin wax)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Im lost..... does that mean i got the wrong stuff???? Should refund my money and jus get a bottle of kero????

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I'm only goin by what was said in another thread.
Over here we dont seem to come across "parrafin" only kero
any other input from anyone else???

Are you up for it?
wink;)

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
okay, like there are not enoght threads on this subjest, anywho

you can mix white gas (coleman) with lamp oil (paraffin in US). i mix mine about 2 parts coleman and 1 part lamp oil. make sure you get unscented oil (no citronella or anything like that)

i have not used kerosene, mainly because of the smell and fumes.

or you can use just straight lamp oil. but i find that the mix of both makes for longer burns and prettier fire.

pm me if you have anymore questions.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I got tired of waiting for ppl to respond to my post so i ended up jus using a half and half mixture of kero and ultra pure lamp oil..... Seems to work really well.... It has long burns, good lookin flame and doesnt smoke to badly..... Im not sure if its all that good for my poi heads though cuz after only 1 burn my wicks have gotten pretty brown..... Im not sure if thats jus the normal though....

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
after 1 burn on new heads, looking pretty brown or blackish is the norm, no worries there

Are you up for it?
wink;)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
GlobalJ: before getting tired of waiting for ppl to respond to your post - do a search umm there are XXXXXXXXXXXX no.s of threads reg. fuel already.

And: what you expect your heads to look like, after you burnt them... ? Believe me, they will never turn yellow again, unless you unscrew and flipside the wick...

rolleyes ubblol hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Yeahh sry if my post seemed like i waz bitching..... I didnt mean it like that.....

I think fuel is jus a preference thing..... I dont really think it matters that much.... I jus want a fuel that will not wear out my heads fast..... I think mixing Kero and Ultra pure lamp oil work pretty well even though i have no base for comparison....

Im still super new to fire poi so i dont really know how fast the heads gets black or what the poi head looks like after a couple burn.... I so wish i had some ppl to learn from but i only have the net.....

But i really appriciate all ur guyes help and hopefully i can get a video up soon to show yall my progress biggrin

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
If you want a good fuel that will not wear out your heads quick you will have to go with methanol.

I have been doing research and burns for years to discover this out...I know others on HOP probably learned about methanol in a matter of weeks but that is not the topic here.

There is one problem though...it is explosive. The way to get used to the proper handeling methods of it is to start by using high proof 97-99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol (which will blacken the heads as much as lamp oil and Kerosene) Then start using Denatured Alcohol (which can be found in paint departments in hardware stores in gallon containers), denatured is also explosive but not as much as methanol...plus it is going to keep your wicks nice and clean for quite a few burns. Then you use methanol, now I have not used it before but I know that due to the chemical composition of it, it should most definately not tarnish your wicks fast.

The last two things to know about alcohols like the ones above is that 1. the burn times decrease as you go further down the list above and 2. alcohols are like gasoline in that their vapors burn...not the fuel itself like in a Kerosene or lamp oil.

And to think that I would have loved to known all of this 4 years ago when I started playing with fuels myself. Hope I helped!

Beyond the Continuum.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
GlobalJ it really would help if you included where you live in your profile, or at least told us. This is because fuels have different names in different countries. And also, as I explained in my post above, there are cultural differences about fuel use. For instance, the post above is recommending you to use a fuel that is explosive. This is a common thing in the USA where people use butane (white gas) etc that most people in eg Australia or Europe would never use for spinning with due to the danger/easy availability of safer alternatives. Note that facedlessshadow says he has not used this fuel himself. Probably not a good idea to muck around with explosive fuels, GlobalJ, or take untried recommendations.

As for wearing out your wicks, that really is not an issue. Wicks, by definition, are not flammable. They don't burn and they don't really 'wear out' in any sort of hurry. Wicks will go black but that is not a problem.
If they get very smoky or smelly, you can wash them in hot water and washing up liquid. They will just dry out again in the sun. The risks of using explosive fuels is not worth it, just to keep wicks 'clean'.

They certainly get damaged by hitting them on things though. THe easiest way to damage wick on staff is by dropping a lot. So put a sock over the wicks when you practice to protect them. Poi wicks can last for years and years because they don;t get hit on things so often.

If you can get lamp oil, then the most that mixing kero with it will do it is make it smell. And I agree with Tom that it is worth reading through the existing threads on this topic. Many go into a lot of detail about international names, chemical composition, and why people choose one or the other.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Newgabe is correct that you should not try untried reccomendations....though the fuel (methane) is not an untried thing of in the world of fire toys. I do know a few people on HOP that have used methane and said that it works wonders.
Though I am not trying to say that you should go out and try methane. It is not as explosive as gasoline but the best way to see how fast it will light up is to take the high proof alcohol (Isopropyl Rubbing alcohol 97-99%) and put a splotch in a bowl and light it in a safe area with a long lighter. The flamability of methane is just like that but a bit more.
I am not saying that things like Kerosene is not safer or easier to obtain...but just like GlobalJ...I was looking for a much cleaner fuel to use on my wicks...I find that for availability I really like to use denatured alcohol. It leaves nothing of a residue or black charring on my wicks.
Wicks will eventually... no matter what method you use or which fuel...go black and they will corrode away eventually. The more crispy your wicks are the less fuel they hold.
One other method of prevention from wicks becoming layers of char is to use a toothbrush on them to brush off alot of the char...I find that to avoid dousing your wicks in water you can use the fuel of your choice.
But I do agree with many of the final and most important comments here.........Do research... not only on the net but also try buying small portions of each fuel you read on and do a practice burn with them...treat it like a science project and I am sure you will much enjoy the knowledge you gain from it.
Keep posting questions on this thread about different fuels and confusing things, people will be here to help.

Beyond the Continuum.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
GlobalJ's in California, at least according to his above post.

GlobalJ, being an American you're going to run across white gas as a fuel ( which is actually naphtha, not butane ) IMO it's the best fuel to spin with however it's far from idiot proof. The most popular brand is Coleman's fuel, and it's best to read, and heed the warnings on the side of the can, especially the sentence that says "Treat like gasoline" because, like alcohols, the vapours are explosive.

Corrections:

"barbecue lighter thingies" are naphthas, and should be treated as such, not as safe as kerosene
Colemans is white gas, not to be confused with lamp oil
Lamp oil is kerosene, just that it's low sulphur and has additives to reduce the amount that it smokes in lamps.
Lamp oil and kerosene do mix well
Kerosene vapours can be explosive too, it all depends on the surface area of the material that the kerosene is on, as in don't light up if you spill kerosene on your feather boa, or at least don't spin with it on.
Your wicks are going to get blackened no matter what you use, only with white gas, they won't get as black, and they won't reek at the end of the evening, neither will you.
Methane is not a fire spinning fuel, methane is a gas at room temperature, like a fart.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
I do stand corrected by Stout....I typed the wrong word in my post. Methane is a gas, but it is a component in METHANOL which is the fuel I was talking about.

As you can see GlobalJ...everyone has their own preference, some people like the more safe fuels, some like the more dangerous ones...and everyone has their reasons. Do the research and try out all of the fuels...only then will you come to the best decision you can.

Beyond the Continuum.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
does methanol smell minty when you burn it

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Not sure...I have yet to come across the cash to buy some and try it out on my fire poi, and or staff. Though i did burn some in Chemistry, but sadly it was under a vent hood and I could not smell it.

Beyond the Continuum.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Minty?...no, but if you tossed a little menthol in your methanol you could make it make it smell minty. Hey..I'll bet all sorts of plant oils are soluble in white gas, and I know I have some *essential oils* lying around here and I think I'll experiment with scented fire poi...like wow..aromatherapy poi...bliss here I come smile

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Wow...this topic has gone just a bit offtopic. But I think it is funny and I would love to hear how the whole scented fire poi thing goes! beerchug

Beyond the Continuum.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i knew i wasn't quite right
oooh lavender for the end of a party
rose if your trying to get somebody
peppermint for a headache

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Just to clear some possible confusion...

Best fuels for beginners are Kerosene, Lamp Oil, Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil, or Liquid Paraffin. All of these fuels are similar to some extent and are basically made of the same thing.

Kerosene is dirty. It stinks, it tastes bad, and it makes lots of smoke. It is safe but not used very often anymore due to its disgusting byproducts.

Lamp Oil is my recommendation. Its fairly easy to find (at least here in the states). It's odourless and cleaner burning than kero... It's even a tad safer (higher flashpoint).

Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil is a step up in safety and cleanliness from the regular Lamp Oil, however, for spinning tools (poi/staff) I prefer the regular because the flame looks better and it's a little easier to light. I generally only use Ultra-Pure for fire breathing or if I have nothing else at hand.

Liquid Paraffin is the generic name for lamp oil. Its the same stuff but since this is just the generic name for the type of fuel, it may come in varying purenesses. If you find a supplier for Liquid Paraffin and you like using it, get a copy of the MSDS just so you know what you're using.

Now, a lot of people tend to use Coleman Camping Fuel or White Gas. This is a good fuel. However, it is much more dangerous than the paraffin fuels. It is very clean and burns beautifully... But it burns very hot and the fuel easily transfers onto clothing and other things you may not want to be burned. I suggest not using this as a beginner.

Some people mix fuels which I feel is kinda dumb... But thats just my opinion. The only reason I can see to do this is to make lighting lamp oil easier. Even then, you don't need to really mix fuels. Just dip your wicks in the lamp oil, shake off the excess, then add a few drops of the white gas for quick ignition.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Page:

HOP Newsletter