Forums > Help! > need help picking staff

Login/Join to Participate

dakotanewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi there,

my boyfriend has been spinning poi for several years and keeps mentioning he wants to start staff. I want to buy him one, but I see that there's different lenghths. How do I know which one to pick? He's a pretty tall guy, if that has anything to do with it. Please advise

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
your best bet would be to take him out and let him choose a staff that suits him and you pay for it wink

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
The best staff height for a person (In my opinion, anyways) is a staff that tucks underneath your blokes armpits and just about pushes him onto tip toes.

That should do him.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
BUILD ONE!!! biggrin

[Old link]

Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

The best staff height for a person (In my opinion, anyways) is a staff that tucks underneath your blokes armpits and just about pushes him onto tip toes.

That should do him.

smile

So Chin-height then...?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

That should do him.

smile

So Chin-height then...?

That too. Hooray!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
It's hard to say what staff legnth is good for him, every staffer has a differant idea as to what makes a good staff. It's all personal preferance really, and a little bit what he plans to do with it.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
I'm also gonna start staff soon and all the info suggests a staff lenght of chin height.

Does the thickness of the staff make any difference?

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
depends on exactly what you want to do with it, finger spins could become awkward with something to thick. something very thin (even if same weight and distribution of the thicker comparison staff) would just be...different if you were planning on learning contact.

anything longer than chin height would make some things a bit trickier, but some impossible, most importantly resting your head on it when standing around waiting for buses ubblol
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168445421)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

anything longer than chin height would make some things a bit trickier, but some impossible, most importantly resting your head on it when standing around waiting for buses ubblol

I do that. My chin gets well sooty biggrin

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
if you know staff twirlers you could create a situation where he tried their staffs out,watch him closely to see which he seems to enjoy the most(this would maintain the element of suprise)
dont worry two much though because most staffers i know have changed staff sizes over theyears

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
That's why the little god of fire spinners invented tin foil and fluffy socks wink (&or canvas staff bags).

Nice idea tim smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
i wish my girlfriend would buy me a staff......................................i think dakota deserves a meda;

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
The best way to get your girlfriend to buy you a staff is to get her into it as well and then buy her a staff.

Well that's how I got my girlfriend to get me a staff.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
jsut a quick thought,i wouldnt recomend buying a splitting or extendable staff they are (imho) not very nice to spin and are not very durable

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
Zenooph.... i havent bought you a staff!!!! and you not buying me one..... !!!!

both pay our own honey, equal bills!!!!!

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
but yeah chin height seems to be the best option, ill let you guys know as soon as i get mine... aswell as with the thickness, im getting a 19mm one, planning on doing contact, so well see whick is better.

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
I am about the height of 5 ft. 9 in. or 175 cm. or 1.75 m in whichever measurment unit you want to look at it and in my preference I find that a regular staff for spinning can be anywhere from 5 ft. (152 cm, 1.52 m.) to 6 ft. (183 cm., 1.83 m.)

While I prefer my fire staff to be around 5 ft.

The 6 ft. begins to get tiring after a while because I have to compensate by holding it higher since I am not that tall.

One that should most definately be comfortable for him is anywhere from as tall as he is to like everyone else said...."just under his chin."

That is unless he is going to opt to use really short staffs.

Beyond the Continuum.