Forums > Social Discussion > America's real reason for wanting to attack Iran?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
There's a theory that America's hostility towards Iran has nothing to do with nuclear weapons, but is a result of Iran's plans to set up the first oil market that will trade in Euros instead of American dollars. If successful the Iranian Oil Bourse could theoretically lead to the collapse of the US economy (i.e., the end of the American empire), since the main reason countries keep dollar reserves is because it is the only currency that can be used to buy oil. Incidently the US also attacked Iraq shortly after Saddam decided that he was not going to accept US dollars for Iraqi oil but wanted Euros instead.

Here's a very interesting article giving all the background:

https://www.energybulletin.net/12125.html

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You mean a Mid-East conflict turns out to be about oil and money and you are surprised?

NEWSFLASH:

Every single time the West sticks its hands into the Eastern Mid-East it is all boils down to oil.
(The Western Mid-East is less oil-based and that is more about Israel, which has no oil).

Millions are being slaughtered in Darfur. Does the West lift a finger? No.

But the Mid-East has oil. Why are we going after Iran? Because they are developing nukes. How did they get the money to develop nukes?

Oil.

And that TOTALLY leaves out the more direct issue that Iran has oil that we'd love to get our greedy little hands on.

Why do we not care about Darfur? No WMD's, no threat to Westerners. Why no WMD's and no threat to Westerners? No money. Why no money? No natural resources. And no oil.

Anyone shocked at oil as a motivator in Mid-East conflicts needs to step back and have a good read about it all. It's ALL about oil.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Why do we not care about Darfur? No WMD's, no threat to Westerners. Why no WMD's and no threat to Westerners? No money. Why no money? No natural resources. And no oil.

India, Pakistan and North Korea import oil. Where did they get the money to develop nukes without having any oil?

The initial discussion, before it got derailed was about the fact that the Iran 'problem' may not have anything to do with nukes and everything to do with the US dollar, which wouldn't be worth very much if oil trading was conducted in a different currency.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I dont see a reason to believe ahmedinijad is enriching uranium for energy. especially when he denies the hollocaust and says he wants israel wiped off the map.
and it's pretty obvious the US wants to attack Iran because of their oil. but as long as they get rid of that lunatic ahmedinijad along the way i wont mind.
the war on Iraq was only about oil and didnt help anyone but the US in any way.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
no i'm not surprised but i don't believe it wholly either looking at the price of gas....
i was making a point that points need to be made in the discussion and not just tossing around insults

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Of course it has nothing to do with nuclear weapons. It never has, and probably never will. Like Doc said :

NEWSFLASH:
Every single time the West sticks its hands into the Eastern Mid-East it is all boils down to oil.

If it weren't for all the nice, lovely oil deposits in Iran and Iraq, the US wouldn't give a flying censored. The only reason the US is sticking their nose into this and creating such a mess is to protect their precious interests/investments in the oil.

Written by: Poiboi

and it's pretty obvious the US wants to attack Iran because of their oil. but as long as they get rid of that lunatic ahmedinijad along the way i wont mind.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this and I'm not understanding what you really meant to say, but I find the fact that you wouldn't mind the US attacking Iran as long as they get rid of Ahmedinijad a bit disturbing. I, as an Iranian, despise him just as much as the next person. I think he's an absolute arse and would love to see him replaced by someone sane, but I think attacking Iran to do so is going a too far.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
And then there's the possibility that this whole thing could just be about Israel. Possible scenario. Israel agrees Iraq has WMD and asks America to intervene or else Israel will have no choice but to unleash the nuclear weapons. Fast forward to today's "situation" with Iran. Same scenario, only this time its please intervene or we'll be forced to deploy tactical nukes against Iran's enrichment facilities.

Maybe America is trying to avert a nuclear holocaust in the middle east ???

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poiboy

the war on Iraq was only about oil and didnt help anyone but the US in any way.

Didn't help the US much, either. Helped Bush in the short term.

Didn't really help anyone. In fact, it pretty much backfired. Maybe it helped the OPEC nations a bit...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
err... i didn't mean the US should go to war in iran because of ahmedinijad, but they should bomb Iran's nuclear facilities so they wont be capable of making nukes.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i think pretty much all of the iranians hate the guy, but then, there's a lot of americans that hate bush, etc, etc. should we be attacked?

and they don't always only care about oil, oddly, they seem freaked out enough about north korea, which has no oil. I think known (if limited) nuclear capabilities and a known lack of cooperation scare them a little bit.

people *sighs*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

EndOn9BRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:

Didn't help the US much, either. Helped Bush in the short term.

Did you read the article posted at the begining of the thread? It suggests that the U.S gained a hell of alot from the war because it meant that all countries would have to continue to buy Iraqi oil in dollars instead of Euros/Yen. So the long term finacial benefit will be huge.

It also doubles nicely as a message to any other country who is thinking about trying to sell their oil in any other currency except dollars....

Like Iran.

The idea that it's 'ok' to invade Iran to depose Ahmedinijad is ludicrous! It's not like the U.S forces will calmly walk over the borders, ignore EVERYTHING else (except maybe stopping to conviscate all their nuclear developments) arrest Ahmedinijad and then leave. THOUSANDS of people will die and the country will be thrown in to a warzone...

Like Iraq

One last note about respecting George Bush, while I don't really see the point in just throwing insults around for the sake of it, I think that respect should only be given where it is due. George Bush (imho) is not due one iota. I would call him something much more offensive than an "American idiot" too.

/*********************************************
* tongue All your base are belong to us! tongue *
*********************************************/

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i find people who find it necessary to throw around insults and personal attacks do so because they lack intelligence or vocabulary to continue stating the facts and/or reasons as to why the situation is not to their liking. if it is simply because they have run out of arguement, they should state the arguement in summary and walk away
calling someone an idiot really only reflects poorly back on you

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poiboy

err... i didn't mean the US should go to war in iran because of ahmedinijad, but they should bomb Iran's nuclear facilities so they wont be capable of making nukes.

Yeah, that would be smart! How do you think Iran would react, keeping in mind that they're not known to take attacks lying down? They would simply open up a number of fronts in Iraq, resulting in even more chaos there, many more dead American soldiers, and I guess er more democracy in the Middle East??

You seem to forget that the US presently doesn't have the luxury of lobbing missiles and bombs from the safety of an aircraft carrier. They have over a hundred thousand overstretched soldiers sitting right next to Iran who would make very nice targets.

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
there is a fascinating documentry being shown on SBS television in australia atm called "The Power of Nightmares" (it's a 2005 BBC production and has been shown in oz, so it's been out there for a while, but on-one seems to have mentioned it on this or similar threads)

it can be viewed at:
https://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1037.htm

and wikipedia has quite a comprehensive write up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Nightmares

basically it charts the rise of neo-concervative in america and how Leo Struass' political theory still insidious in the US administration and the beginnings of fundementalist islam, starting in egypt.

it's pretty scary, really.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I agree with the whole thing about the oil and the collapse of the dollar and of the US economy. There are however other factors to consider.

Before that though, I find it interesting that a thread started almost 10 years ago, it still relevant. I guess not much has changed.

Anyway back to the subject. While oil and all that are viable and even probable reasons for the tensions between Iran and the US, there are other issues as well. For one, Iran dreams of the fall of America, and the Christian principles that America was founded upon. Iran is a Muslim nation, and wants to see "christian" America fall. Iran wishes for America to become Muslim by majority. Looking at the birth rates between various people's in America, it seems that soon the Muslims will be the majority.

Secondly, Iran wishes to wipe Israel off the face of the planet. Take the recent conflict in which Iran supplied weapons that were used against Isreal as an example. If Iran is able to produce nuclear weapons, there is no question as to the fact that they will be used on Isreal. Perhaps that is what Jesus spoke of when he said in Matthew 24:

“So when you see the abomination of desolation... ...let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let the one who is on the housetop not go down to take what is in his house, and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. And alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be. And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved."

And please guys, before any of you go calling the Isrealies warmongers for their threatening of destroying Iran's nuclear facilities, please consider how any other country would react if a nation had vowed to wipe them from the planet, and then persued nuclear arms.

Peace out.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

micahhussystranger
6 posts

Posted:
It seems to be difficult to go for war against Iran.Dialogue is the best solution we just want peace.But our safety is important as some illegal entries are creating various problems for locals.Government should make some legislation.

Sounds like a good time to get myself deported them.

Page: