Forums > Social Chat > You Are Who You Spin With?

Login/Join to Participate

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I've noticed, being an active member of a couple different fire troupes, that whenever I am around one or the other I tend to pick up certain stylistic tendencies that reflect the group I'm with at the time. ("Time" usually revolves around school sessions or vacations)

For example, one group I spin with is very high-intensity, speedy and technical. The other tends more towards fluidity, grace and form over technique. One is into electronic music, the other is into drum circles. One specializes in poi, the other encourages learning as many toys as possible... When I'm spinning with them I tend to lean towards their styles despite the fact that I already know roughly all the same moves.

Does this mean I have no style of my own and try to imitate that of others, or am I just fitting in, in a sense? Does anyone else notice their spinning style change depending on the crowd they're with at the time?

Either way, it's very valuable to me to have differing styles like that, because I'm able to switch from fast n furious one moment to slow and fluid the next.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"if i am who i am because of who i am
and you are who you are because of who you are
then i am who i am and you are who you are
however...
if i am who i am because of who you are
and you are who you are because of who i am
then i am not who i am and you are not who you are"

it doesn't apply too much here but i like the quote.

imho, the more styles the better. now mix the techy stuff with the form heavy style and you too can be dom!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Hey I wouldnt worry about it... you've got clubs, buddies or workshops to do it with/at... I aint...
If anyone is near or in West Yorkshire I'd b chuffed enuf to let them show me some new moves or just show off.
Be yourself... look at it this way, I'm the only person in my college who does it and I get a few taunts... just wait till I get some fire poi! Mwuh ha ha ha!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Oh no, I spin with no one, does that make me a nobody??!!

Once a week I hang out with jugglers. I wouldn't say I spin with them, more next to them, they just juggle.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I am a no one

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dio...how much spinning do you do on your own away from the groups? I think that being with a specific group or going from one to the other without any alone time can very much influence the way we create.
However, this is not bad, as you are exposed to so much wonderful energy and styles that it simply means it makes it hard to inwardly focus on yourself when you want to share with everyone else! There is no problem there my friend, and in fact, I think you are very lucky to be exposed to so much positivity.
If it really bothers you, schedule some alone spinny time and do what you want to the music you like with what tools you feel like using. After a few of these sessions you will see that even perhaps your personal style shifts depending on mood, music etc....Just keep in mind that personal style can take years to really show itself, and it can go through many incarnations in the meantime.
In the end as long as you are having fun and enjoying what you are doing and who you are doing it with, all is right in your world!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
what an interesting concept...

Dio, if spinning with both groups allows you to be a spinner who can vary speed, tempo, music, toys and fluidity.... then thats your style! How lucky are you!

style can be dependant on the type of music/beat you are spinning to. I find i spin differently to Trance/tech than i do to drums, but thats only because my feet want to do different things....

Soak it all up, then go and put your fave music on, spin by yourself, and you'll see the sort of spinner you are! xoxoxo

Currently on the right side up of the world.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I did notice that when I was still learning my own style would be heavily influenced by anyone I was watching/spinning with at that time.

As of today I have spent many hundreds of hours spinning on my own and seem to have developed a style more of my own. It remains mostly constand regardless of who I spin with. At the same time, if I see someone doing something I like I will immitate them, style and all.

If you spin to how you feel, to how the music moves you, then you've got your own style. Being able to switch such as you do just shows your diversity

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Yeah this isn't some big worry on my part, I just noticed the other day that I'm starting to pick up a few of Santana's tendencies

Really though I do feel like exposure to dramatically different styles has been to my benefit. Thanks everyone for your input! And I will probably start scheduling some spin alone time in the future, especially with summer approaching.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that about many spinners too. I think I try to rebel against that. Everyone around me went long chain, so I went short. Everyone around me seems to be going large wick, I'm sticking with small (or modest)...

I definitely dont have the same style as my posse on most things but do pick and choose what I want to adopt from them.

I will say that I spin like a HoPper. Even though we do all have radically different styles I think that learning from this site gives a common "fire spinning style" that is obvious.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
This site has a similar spinning style? I've never met another HOP'er in person so I realy don't know. That would be neat though. I think...

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I do think that there are some underlying HoP tendancies for those who've been greatly influence or learned through the site.

Obviously we've all got pretty distinct styles, some of us radically different, but I think there is an underlying logic to learning through HoP and HoP people. Obviously there are exceptions.

For example, even just mentally baseing moves on either butterfly style or weave style, which most of us do, puts us in a mind frame that is very different from, lets say a traditional maori spinner. Also, the fact that we know that every move can be done forwards, backwards, left, right, and all variations behind the back is a philosophy that affects our spinning.

It's a generalization, but I think it's a fair one.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I think this is avery interesting question and being able to adapt top different styles is a great chance, not a burden... be a chameleon and enjoy teh change as long as you know you are doing so...

i find too many of us get trapped in the same patterns and it is hard to get rid of routines and habits ... always good to challenge them and learn more

I agree with NYC on the keeping it your way too on the otehr hand, but the same move looks completely different if I do it or NYC do it, that is what differenciate our styles ...

eerrr... would have loved to post more on that but gotta run for now..

good one, Dio

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
I've found this to be true, but as long as you don't get bogged down by one groups style perhaps you can be the style blender, try to bring the differences you have seen to the other groups, perhaps they'll really appreciate it, you never know.

Spread the knowledge

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets