Forums > Social Chat > Glasto Ticket Touts - Insults and ideas

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/030401b.shtml

Good for Michael for trying to dissuade the touts from selling the tickets on Ebay (have you seen the prices?!! £1400?!!!) by releasing the tickets late, but now all the EBay ads just say "The tickets are being sent out two weeks before the festival, so we'll mail you them straight away".

B@statds!

Glasto is a freakin' charity event and these guys are making huge amounts of money out of it. But people are still paying for them!

They limited tickets sales to 4 per card, but surely 4 per address would work better.

I'm sure EBay have access to all their users details (you need them to sign up) so can they not just restrict the tickets (or cancel the sale even better) going to those people selling them on?!

Grrrr!

(BTW - I've got mine )

[ 03. April 2003, 23:58: Message edited by: Durbs ]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
WICKED!! Rumour has it that Mark Thomas is going to be in the Cabaret tent!

Soz for the high jack..

er yeah grrr to the touts..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Dude, I too feel your anger and general pissed offness. Same thing happened for a concert that's on each year called Slane. 50,000 tickets sold out in 4 hours. I was at ticketmaster at 1pm the they were all gone. I checked buyandsell.ie the next day and there were all the tickets I'd been looking for at triple the value....

Something should really be done about this problem because it is an absolute disgrace. I felt like ringing up every one of those mobile numbers and swearing colourfully down the phone at them. I'm sure they would have only laughed at me all the way to the bank though.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
in fact hijacked again - AARRRGGGHHHH!!! I think I'm going to have kittens.. just seen the rest of the rumoured line up!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - was thinking the same; Some kind of mass mailout to all the b-tards on eBay.

I just think it'd be hysterical if eBay and Glasto pull together and just re-issue the tickets that are up for grabs on the internet without refunding them (call it an admin fee)
All those touts would be at least £460 out of pocket and serves them freakin' right too!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well suggest it. I just went onto ticketmaster and mcd.ie and complained so maybe it'd be worthwhile. Alternatively I remember PK saying he has the ability to send a 1000 emails a second to people who deserve it.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I am so pissed off about this.

There's a group of us who were all planning to go. Three couldn't get tickets, after trying as soon as they could on monday evening. It's coloured the whole event cos either they won't get to go, or they'll have to work (not the worst option by far) or they'll have to pay rediculous amounts.

And to top it all off I know of people who bought two tickets just to sell the other double price! I certainly made my feelings known.

Glastonbury is all about fun and good feeling, and there are people making a profit out of such a beautiful event and ruining it for so many. Makes me SCREAM!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
*Opens all the windows, lights some incense and puts some ambient music on in an attempt to bring back the peace and love that resides in all threads Glastonbury related*

Why all the anger if you've got tickets? It doesn't seem to effect anyone in this thread and I can't understand why there's all the negativity regarding someone elses karma.

Are we nearly there yet?

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
See what happens when other people post while you think about what you post?

Are we nearly there yet?

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
LOL - True, Karma will come round, it's dissapointing that a: people are making a profit off the back of Glasto & b: that I ain't got a ticket, & only 1 person out of the group I planned to go with have managed to get one.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bit like reading really isnt it...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Did you mean Reading the festival as opposed to reading as in 'reading a book'?

Are we nearly there yet?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well it won't be reading a book will it? it's Jon you're talking to for goodness sake.

He only graduated out of our remedial reading class cos he slept with the teacher (Mr Jones)

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
why do I get the impression htat Mr Durbs has yet again failed to purchase tickets for Glastonbury?

Meh

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ah glastonbury... its all a load of mean commercial fiddler b*ll*x isn't it?

i missed out on it last year, gotta wait another 2 weeks to see if i can work it this year. Fingers crossed

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Personally I managed to get 2 tickets 20 minutes after they went on sale (or an hour and 20 minutes if you're using Coleman's clock).

Although I had to buy them seperately as the system crashed, due to demand, in the middle.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
From the ebay perspective, if you contact ebay reps they can freeze the accounts of the people who are selling them provided that you can prove that this is for charity and the ones selling the tickets on ebay are not involved in collecting for the charity. It is, here at least, a form of scalping..which is illegal if you make a profit from it, and obviously, they are. Ebay does not support nor condone scalping as it can get them in trouble. This can get the people involved banned from ever using ebay again. Here, again, scalping is also prosecutable by law with fines and such.
If this is a problem with the Glasto organizers, you can track which tickets were sold on ebay. They can not accept those ticket numbers at the gate and reissue new ones for sale in their place, without refund to the original purchasers.

Just thought it might help or you might like to know.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
It's just plain wrong and to make it worse if you go to www.efestivals.co.uk, there is a great big pop up ad for eBay on they're site.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
if you're using Coleman's clock
i have a clock now?

they went on sale @ 9am on monday morning. i got mine @ half past using the phone number given on the official site.

i agree with all thats been said here about tickets touts - just with stronger language. i just have two words to add on the subject of glastonbury this year:

radiohead confirmed

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Acually, Monsieur C@ntus, me ol' mucker - I have a ticket and one for the missus. We may even be camping within screaming distance together (Me and you, not me and the wife - we'll be closer than that...)

I noticed eBay had a pop-up ad on the e-festivals site too, i'm very surprised no-ones thought to take it off (or perhaps it's beyond their means).
Mind you, it's not eBay who are at fault, it's their users...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I think you might be able to scream at me too, I bin talking to Mistress Napalm..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've had a thought - it's a bit late for this year, but next year, couldn't they issue named tickets? Then when you show your ticket at the gate you also need some sort of ID (Photo or perhaps the card you bought the ticket on).
The only problems I can think of are:
A) Young people buying them over the counter with cash who don't really have any form of ID (NI card is 16)
B) If you really can't go after buying it what do you do with your ticket.

Possible solutions I've thought of whilst writing this:
A) Under 16's (for example, whatever age is more practical) get a different ticket which can only be used by Under 16's.
B) If you can't go you ring up a number, get your ticket cancelled and then it's resold - or you can delegate it to another person (a friend for example)

Would this work?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'm sure it would work - but it's also a logistical nightmare.. 112,000+ names? Costs of individaul printings.. cost of regulatory guides, risk of increase of fraudulent ID applications..

might push the price up even more..

I think your idea of eBay capping all the sellers would probably work better.. but if the tickets are only going to be released a few weeks befor the event - I feel really sorry for the people who are buying on ebay.. the frantic scrabble to get the ticket in time.. just as well I emailed you hey hun... don't have to worry about it..

ouch?!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ouch indeed - I wonder how they're doing that. They surely can't be an offical vendor - maybe Touts in disguise?
Or maybe they've bought loads of eBay and are just selling them for a slight markup?
Still outrageous...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
just sent a bitchy complait to eBay.. doubt it'll do anything.. but they are now going for nearly £800 for pairs of tickets... absolutly disgusting..

er maybe a mass email to eBay? If the get enough complaints then maybe they have to do something?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - but it fairness, it's not eBay's fault. It's the people using it that are doing wrong.
Another thing that's scary is that bids start at 1p but gets bid up to silly prices.
I wouldn't be surprised if the touts have several logins and are just bidding for their own tickets to inflate the prices...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It doesn't happen very often, but I'm really angry about this.

I've been in France for the last week without any way to order a ticket myself so I asked my sister to order me one instead, but they were all sold out before she got a chance (Monday evening).

I've been looking forward to this for ages and it really, really pisses me off that the touts are buying up so many tickets so quickly.

AAARRRRRGGGGG. I'm going to stop there, I've more or less got steam coming out of my ears already and thinking about it's just going to wind me up even more

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Well it won't be reading a book will it? it's Jon you're talking to for goodness sake.

He only graduated out of our remedial reading class cos he slept with the teacher (Mr Jones)

[Razz]

*only now reads this insult..*

rolleyes

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
UCOF?!!

You totally confused the heck out of me.

Please note that Senior Loony had bumped this thread up from last year. Probably just to confuse us all.

I was thinking about what festivals are coming up and sad that this had happened... until I realized that it was last year.

U Crazy Old Fart.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
this confused (bloody scared) me too especially as, im never sure what order the dates come in on the internet...

all is ok now though...

peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Page: