mikeytwicenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know the scoop on the legality of spinning fire in public in NYC? Are there designated spaces? Is street performance legal?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Illegal.

New York has the toughest fire laws in the country.

Street performance with fire is illegal.

With that said, I've done it and seen it done. Sometimes the cops don't mind. Sometimes they tell you to stop immediately or they will arrest you.

I usually just wait until we're at some event that has a fire permit (which are really hard to get) or until we're outside of New York (which I do quite often.)

Good Luck.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mikeytwicenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Aha... that's a shame! Is it legal in any big American city?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It often depends on how you define 'legal'. In New York it's illegal and enforced. I'd assume many other cities just don't care.

I had heard that any fueled fire needs a permit so TECHNICALLY in New York you'd need a permit for a cigarette lighter. OF COURSE, that's not enforced.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
In the city of Atlanta, highly illegal. Especially in the parks. I spoke with the parks commissioner at one point. He told me I would have to swear that not a single blade of grass would be burnt and that all fires would be contained within the provided enclosures (which he specified as GRILLS when I asked what "enclosures" included). Now, while I could agree to the first, I couldn't promise I'd get spinners to stand atop a barbeque grill and stay there.

I have been curious about attempting to get a permit at Gateway National Recreation Center - Sandy Hook during the off season, since permits seem to be not too terribly hard to get for unusual events. I mean, the farm got regular permits for beach rides of up to 25 horses in November and March, so....

Actually, NYC and all members on the forum- any interest in an event out on Sandy Hook? If there's no interest, I won't bother the parks commission. BUt anyone want to spin out on the hook? If we walk out the River, you can spin with NYC right behind you.... and I don't just mean the HoP member!

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I haven't been spinning much lately. And when I have, I've had fun without fire.

I'm so often at events outside the city that allow/encourage fire that it's just easier to wait for those. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Yeah, pretty much the same here on the lack of fire.... but I left Havocangel in GA and have no one to burn with - or ever spin with - up here in my NJ prison.

Alas. I haven't spun with fire in a couple of months. And, while I love the poi, even when unlit, there's still something about fire. It's just such a rush..... and addicting...

I'm just itching to burn again, but, without Havoc, I need to wait for a friend of mine to get back from Austin, TX. He went down there last week. When asked why, his one word response was "beer." So, when he gets back from the most epic beer run ever, perhaps my urge to burn things will be sated. One can only hope. wink

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
elanna's in jersey; you should pm her.

and in boston its nearly impossible to do it in the city limits, but I've done it legally twice. lots of permit issues, and barriers and all that.

outside of the city is the way to go

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i think you can do it in milwaukee (small big city) but there are permits up the censored
i'm just going to look for an out of the way place the cops can't see, maybe get a permit in a park for a pit fire

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

mikeytwicenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
What about if I wanted to spin on my rooftop? I have a roof in Brooklyn, & being that it's private property and I've had no problem grilling up there, perhaps it's legal... I want to be sure, though, as my roof easily visible from an elevated subway platform that is always teeming with the 5-0...

Also, anyone have any idea what laws are like in Europe? I saw a number of people spinning in both France and Greece, though in France the kids were asked to stop.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Most of the folks I know spin on rooftops without a problem. Technically some idiot could call the cops (or even worse, the fire department) and it could be trouble.

When we spin on my buddy's rooftop we always side away from the train station for just that reason.

Again, probably illegal, probably not enforced. But all still rolling the dice.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ooooh...I've worked with the Fire Marshal in NYC who is in charge of all theater grade fires (which we fall under) and Pyrotechnics.

The first fine for doing fire in NYC sans permit, including and especially on a rooftop, is at least $1500 plus possible jail time, depending on how many people they feel you are endangering.

The last time I did any fire on a rooftop the fire in NYC the fire was big enough the fire dept was called in, everyone scattered when the sirens were heard.
I have a possible photo shoot coming up at/near Galapagos art space, and we are currently dealing with all of this again.

The only cities in the US where I know you can still spin sans permit are those which have beaches and a lacking fire protocal for them. However, if the beach has a no fire rule, which most public beaches do, again you're screwed.

Milwaukee doesn't even like fire jugglers. One of my friends is from there and does the Min. Ren. and wow what she's gone through! (though I think that Ren has some of the most fire of any I've seen).

Even going out of cities you have to be careful and make sure you are on private property.

I agree with NYC, I find alot of joy in non-fire stuff as well and I think alot of that has come from necessity over the years. When I started I went to my local fire marshal with my burn plan, photos and a video and he looked at me and said "In the parks with clearing and not near alot of people? No problem as long as you have the insurance."

It was AWESOME!
Now, they'd rather flay me.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK