Forums > Social Discussion > Poi Practice During Winter

Login/Join to Participate

AvikusGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
So here it is ... winter ! I live in canada so our winter are pretty cold. Practicing Poi outside is not an option for the time beeing. None of the room in the house I live in is big enough for me to practice inside. Any of you could give me some ideas where to practice?

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I know this is going to sound terrible but...

.... when winter or foul weather hits, so bad I can't poi outside, nor quell the urge to spin, I put on my crappiest set of gym clothes, head down to the local college, and attempt to blend in at the gym.

By and by, if you do try this, I highly recommend at least refreshing yourself with the courses that are taught there. From personal experience, saying "I take karate" only works at schools that *actually* have karate classes! ^-^

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

AvikusGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
lol w00t for looking like a fool doing Poi biggrin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Find a friend with a big room and convert them to poi.

Are you at school/uni go practice there. most have gyms and you will probably end up with ppl to practice with.

See if there is a local circus skills/juggling club.

Find a big indoorish place and practice till you are warm enough to take off outer layers. Many schools have undercover areas

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
use short poi and learn to spin poi in confined spaces... time to practise your inversions and stuff like that, leave the flowers and the girly poi for the summer. good luck smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
and what he said

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I don't know about where you are, but around here, you can use your local schools' gym...Elementary...Middle...High...as long as you check with the front office first and don't actually fire up!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
it doesn`t get cold enough here to have to worry about it... but... I took up poi after the first couple months of staff only and swearing I`d never touch poi, so that I could have something to practise inside...

I never really did get around to practising inside much anyway, but even with standard 8` ceilings, I can practise pretty much everything I know (which, admittedly, isn`t very much). no room for flowers and the like, but that`s ok, cos I can`t do em!!

other than that... I got nothing... shrug

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
squash courts are pretty good

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
start practicing doing poi from on your knees into standing up positions, etc etc acrobatic type sh*t.
I found that works for me (not that it gets that cols ova here in winter)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
go to asia, like banshee cat, meenik, maiuki, ronopotamus.....have a look at the thread: events, performances, gatherings.....deep down the rabbit hole.....asia....by ronopotamus......have fun
hug

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
I live in Kanuckastan too...
Although not a very inventive solution, I just dress really warm, and spin really fast for the first bit to get me blood going.....
During the cold snaps expect to be clumsy-er.
(just got over that -40 bit here).
Watch out for ice below.....its fustrating spinning and performing a balance act....
Ok, maybe the gym idea is more inviting....if only I knew of one....

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Fire poi keep you nice and toasty, especially if you hit yourself lots....

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
practise with your mind....

wink ok enough philosophy rubbish:

try practising moves without the poi, working on your movement and flexibility: it's a whole lot easier to figure out where you can put your hands next when you don't have poi on them

could you not make some really short poi?

alternatively, start learning (contact) juggling, it doesn't need as much room, and will keep your mind ticking over until it gets warmer

and yeah , firepoi are usually a good option when its a cold night..

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireByNite

start practicing doing poi from on your knees into standing up positions, etc etc acrobatic type sh*t.
I found that works for me (not that it gets that cols ova here in winter)

interesting idea, fbn.

I brought my kids along to juggle jam on monday evening... and lachie (10) has been playing with poi every now and then; I've been trying to get him to learn 3-bt weave and he started to almost get there, but he's not crossing on the left side consistently...

he has WAY too much arm/body movement and not enough wrist... (which reminds me vaguely of something that paul and I were supposed to put in memorable HoP quotes, but we'll save that for later).

anyway... he started to try the weave on his knees, which meant he couldn't use as much arm/body movement and he actually started to "get it". inconsistently, but MUCH better.

so... my point (yes, there's a point) is that if you are stuck without a lot of room, much can be practised from your knees in confined spaces. biggrin

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

so... my point (yes, there's a point) is that if you are stuck without a lot of room, much can be practised from your knees in confined spaces. biggrin

.... unless you have a bad knee.... wink

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
ubblol which I do!!

hmmm... ok... how much can one do sitting on the floor? overhead stuff? high weaves?

422 posts

Posted:
I always enjoyed butterfly variations while sitting on the trunk of my car, so I would assume it to be fairly easy to do while sitting down inside. And I've done weaves with choked up poi while sitting in a field, so it's entirely possible to poi while sitting.

Admittedly, though, sitting on the floor gets fun when you start to incorporate moving into it (*I will figure out buzzsaw sumersaults if it kills me!).

AvikusGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
so I check the activities in my town ... there are circus act each sunday ... for kids ... I'm 23 ... doubtful I can go there :P