CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
HEY HEY ALL.just done my first fire breath and fire staff session today. Had a pretty big poi meet on my road with some friends (photos on the way grin )love to fire breath now. i'm well stoked!the first time i did fire poi gripped me a lot more than the first time i did fire staff, but hey, i've got loads to practice yet!few.i just had to share my exitement with some one.... It rules.cheers all.oh, does anyone know how bad parrafin is for you (especially repeated contact).

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
WELL DONEthe first time is ALWAYS the best he he hepeace outgarbo tongue
quote:
" Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Coooooooll!!Never tried fire-breathing but it looks so much fun. Can't wait for the piccies....Happy warm glow Noods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, Cained, congradulations. I love to hear about the rush of first-times. I do hope you got good training on the fire breathing, cuz that's one of the most dangerous things you can do with fire. Did you get guidance with what direction to blow, what distance to hold your torch, how to move your torch, etc? Anyway, essentially all the fuels we use as fire performers are carcinogenic, that is contain compounds known to cause cancer. Some more than others. You can run a discussion search on fire breathing for more from this board. Fire breathing is not only dangerous in the near term, but hazardous to long-term health. I will tell you the old school, those that have been around the fire and circus scenes for some time and intend on being around, have given up fire-breathing all together or keep in to a bare minimum, like maybe six blasts as year. Best of luck, Diana

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Fire breathing isn't all it's cracked up to be. It looks cool, but that's about it.I've been wanting to learn for some time, and finally got the chance at the ECSF when Pele offered instruction. She went over all the basics of technique and safety, which I more or less already knew from searching the web. Of course, I don't really trust the web for stuff like this. I think it was the support I needed more than anything. (thanks, Pele!)In any case, I practiced for about 15 minutes vaporizing water before going live with lamp oil -- supposedly much safer then kerosene/paraffin both from a health are fire safety standpoint. I did maybe 8-10 blows, using about three 1 oz. shots and got about four foot of flame on my best attempt.Lamp oil don't have much of a taste, but the mouth feel is awful! Imagine the feeling of chap stick all over the inside of your mouth for about an hour. To make matters worse, I've got a beard which did a wonderful job of collecting lamp oil. I felt so gross I had to take a shower immediately afters.But the worst part came about 1/2 hour later when I belched after a few swigs of beer. Even though I was pretty sure I didn't swallow any lamp oil, I belched up lamp oil fumes. Several times. Definitely one of the most disgusting feelings I've ever had.I'm glad I did it. I can cross it off my to-do list. I can say I've done it. It's not something I ever really want to do again.There really isn't much thrill involved at all, certainly nothing like fire spinning.Sorry to burst y'alls bubble. frown-p.

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
PJ.DONT MAKE IT SOUND LIKE TO MUCH OF AN UNDERACHIEVEMENT. madWHATEVER YOUR VIEW. DONT GO BURSTIN OTHERS BUBBLES.PREHAPS I WAS BUZZIN COS I WAS SELF TAUGHT, AND I WAS GETTIN PLUMES OF UPTO ABOUT 10 FOOT.SO I'D APPRECIATE IT IF YOU CHILLED OUT A BIT AND LEFT EACH TO THERE OWN.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Hey, I merely wanted to tell my story. I really wish I could say it was more fun FOR ME, but I'd be lyin'. Especially since I was sooo stoked on learning how to do it in the first place.I know there are a lot of people who want to know how to blow fire, or have at least considered it. My opinion is that the risk/reward factor just doesn't justify it. I know your opinion is otherwise, and I'm cool with that. To each their own.Those who want to try it are going to try it no matter what anyone says. I hope they know what they are getting in to, because it can be quite dangerous even if done properly.I'm sure I'm not letting any cats out of the bag when I say the danger of fire poi/staff spinning really is quite minimal, certainly so compared to fire breathing. I'll be the first to admit that I have lost some respect for the danger of fire after poi spinning, and it would really be a shame if someone in a similar position got hurt trying something that really is risky.I think all I'm really trying to say is that the people who are considering expanding from poi to fire breathing, shouldn't necessarily feel as if they are necessarily missing out on something by playing it safe.If that doesn't make sense, look at it this way: your skill will be all that much more exclusive! ;-)And if it still doensn't make sense, then maybe it will make a little bit of sense to somebody. Maybe. Just a little...-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, Cained, I'm sorry to come at you when you're already upset, but I have to say that teaching yourself to breath fire is one of the more dangerous things you can do. The risk's of ending up in the hospital are very real. Do you know what chemical pneumonia is and how to best avoid it? Do you know how to avoid blow-back, that is lighting your face on fire? Please, don't go it alone. Gather as much in formation as possible and find an experienced fire breather to show you the ropes. Diana

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Congrats CAU...it is a real rush, excuse the pun. And pj, no sweat on teaching you. I am glad to have helped you fulfill a want, and I am glad to have that shared experience as well as to know that you have come to an educated decision. We all know what is best for ourselves and what risks in our own lives we veiw as "reasonable", and hey, at least you can say you did it.CAU, I think you took pj's statement too personally. I breathe fire, professionally for shows and I was not offended at all, in fact it was really nice to hear why's and how's of the negatives from someone who has tried it. (No offense if someone here hasn't tried it but...) I get tired of hearing the danger sermons and the why not to's from people who have never once tried it, and for all of the negative/disease stories you hear there are the positives ones you don't. The negs are what stick in people's heads. Now I will say that Diana has a point on the whole education of it, and to *never* blow alone, but there is enough information about the fuels, the how to's etc, to go through an entire online tutorial and know more than the basics.I myself love the breathing more than any other aspect of fire performing, including poi (I kow, it's sacreligious to say onthis board). I have figured out several tricks on my own, and from others, surrounding fire breathing, though I will say after awhile the straight up stuff gets boring. Oh, and the danger of blowbacks into your mouth and consequently your lungs is very real...please be aware of it. Though ask pj about my sucking a flame down my throat!!! winkI have blown into the wind (actually the wind shifted) and then "outran" (backwards) the balls coming at me, my friend has a photo and it looks like my head is engulfed in flames, though I didn't feel it at all. It was the scariest thing while it was happening, then it was a rush, I won't lie....but it is NOT something I would recommend as I know I was at a severe risk of harm. Chemical illness is a concern, though is is less likey to happen with lamp oil than with kero. Use a windsock or comet poi to determine wind direction. Above all be careful, know yourself, your tools and your limitations. This is no area to fuck around and try to push boundaries in. I am happy for you, I remember the thrill of my first blow, and of every one since.Oh, and pj is right, the after feel in the mouth and the "kero" burps (though I have never had that mixed with beer...yucky!) are terrible, you never get used to it really.And pj, I am so sorry I laughed at you with the after burps but the face you made was funny and it was nice for me to have someone who understood what I meant when I tried to describe it! smileTake care all, and happy breathing...with or without fire. wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
tongue

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
fire breathing done well is one of the most satisfying elements of fire performance, also one of the most impressive. When I do it (very rarely for large amounts of money or love) I don't just stand there going breathe, breathe, etc. I mooove, Judo roll breathes when you're upside down, breathing behind you, between your legs, straight up, backwards, multiple person, acro breathes- human pyramids. All good stuff, you can do it when juggling and poing but I've never been convinced on that, looks messy and people often miss which looks daft. There's no control, not like using a torch. My advice is watch the film: Les Amants de Pont-Neuf. It's about an excellent ill fire breather and has some quality action in it. Just always watch the wind and where other people are. Don't use petrol.

soup!