Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Whenever I got to visit my hometown of Geelong, Australia, the train passes past wharves where there are tonnes of woodchips waiting to be exported to Japan. These woodchips come from an old growth forest half an hour away. It is only only the Otways that are killed, but the old growth in Tasmania, Gippsland (yes, the area that is currently a blazing inferno) and other parts of Australia as well.

And it made me angry before I came to Japan. Not that I am here, my anger is 10-fold. Why? Our old growth forests, which have taken centuries to millennia to grow, are being turned into paper in Japan. And do you know what they do with their used paper in Japan? They burn it. Yes, that's right. They don't recycle it. They burn it (Along with their plastic too!). And I, as well as my fellow student over here, think it's disgusting.

And well, basically, I just want to bring it to people's attention.

https://www.oren.org.au/logging/who/mitsui.htm

https://www.oren.org.au/logging/who/nipponpaper.htm

https://www.oren.org.au/logging/clearfell.htm

https://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/forests/tasmania/tas-forests-google/

Oh, and Victoria (as well as Australia as a whole) wants ways to save water. Here's a clue stop logging our water catchments! My hometown's water is "caught" in the Otways, and while our water restrictions are not as severe as some, they're worse than Melbourne and most certainly worse than Canberra. Every little bit helps. And I know it's not only the Otways catchments that are dwindling because of logging.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Ah, I found the statement behind your reasoning that logging reduces water supply on page 10 of the document you linked too.

Damn PDF files.... anyways.

Quote: It appears more and more likely that streamflow reductions following logging are a general feature of eucalypt forests.

I stand corrected as far as Australian logging is concerned, but I'd never make a statement like that when talking about local logging. smile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ok in australia i'm wrong

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
australia is what this thread is primarily about.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

3,556 posts

Posted:
okaaaaaay geez
i admitted to being wrong...i don't have to do that very often tongue

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
oh my goodness, i dont want to know how long that just took me to explain to my host family what a "water catchment" is.

"you must only have them in australia...in japan, before rivers, water comes from mountain streams"

eek i have an oral exam on this topic tomorrow!!! I have no hope!!!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
You wanna hear something that never ceases to amaze me???

Many, many years ago...in Raleigh...there was a large parcel of land along Crabtree creek that was bought out by developers...

Well...they proceeded to build what was the largest shopping mall in the area on this land...in...a...major...flood plain!!!

They knew this before the mall was built...but they must have thought that the water would never dare rise into their pretty new mall!!!

Bit off topic...but...an example of what happens when lands that were never meant for development...are developed anyhow!!! Some were just meant to be left in peace!!!

https://www.raleighchronicle.com/2006061501.html

Happens at least once a year...!!! *wicked chuckle*

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

3,556 posts

Posted:
the houses in brookfield (the really expensive ones) are sinking cause they built them on a swamp that was drained, next to one of the main rivers in the area
hehhee

Faith

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fyrespirit

https://www.raleighchronicle.com/2006061501.html

Happens at least once a year...!!! *wicked chuckle*

ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I see multi-million dollar houses built right next to warning signs that state "road floods to 2m" and wonder if these people ever learned to read.

We've got a massive housing estate here where you look up to see the mangrove. I was involved in one shitfight where the developer sold a block of land that comprised 9m of uncontrolled fill (car bodies, dirt, trees etc) overlying 8m of mangrove mud until you hit rock, basically the owners would have to pile through 15m to build their house footings, but you know, if you buy on the side of a tidal river with bloody great mudflats, what do you expect?

Anyway, back to topic.

"Alpine grazing prevents blazing"

I've got a number of friends who have been fighting fires near Bright because interference from green groups have led to firebreaks not being cleared or widened sufficiently in the last few years. While some may say that we shouldn't be living in these areas and we need to let nature do its own thing blah blah blah, that's not going to work in reality-land. Like it or not, human interests do need to be looked after with sustainable management.

On the other hand, the developers who deliberately bulldozed Mt Tamborine for houses and have the nerve to call their estates "Rainforest View" etc should be horse-whipped.

Basically, Australia regards land as being some never-ending commodity, and has really rubbish town planning, that's where a lot of it falls down.

Man, that rambled.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

3,556 posts

Posted:
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2006/12/25/daily25.html?from_rss=1

it's a little off topic, but now i have a tie to new zealand...i want to work for alliant so i can transfer

Faith

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by: robnunchuks

if your intrested in recycleing i've found something that had a major impact on my beleafs regarding it. its quite long but its well worth watching if you have abit of time to your self, and are intrested in it.

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7734998370503499886&q=penn+teller

you'll probly want to just ignore them and turn it off at the start but be pateient and watch it all the way though. i still dont entirely agree with all of it but alot of my views shifted on certain types of recycleing and the ways in which it should be done.

It may be worth pointing out with referencing to both the recycling and climate change programs of Bullshit, that Penn Jillette is a research fellow of the limited government and free market advocacy group the Cato Institute, which receives funding from those not so loveable rogues ExxonMobil.

That someone who is a paid to promote a neo-liberal free market, anti environmental agenda does so should hardly come as surprising.

That a heavily biased program which has been roundly criticised for deliberately misrepresenting facts and arguments (such as the climate change program where Jerry Taylor claims scientists predicted an ice age in the 1970s, though these predictions of global cooling never occurred in any peer-reviewed scientific literature. Additionally, despite Penn's references to scientific data, no mainstream scientist from the area of climatology is present in the episode) has had a major impact on the way you feel about certain issues is.

Its like being convinced that oil companies have gone green because you saw an Esso advert on tv.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dream

It may be worth pointing out with referencing to both the recycling and climate change programs of Bullshit, that Penn Jillette is a research fellow of the limited government and free market advocacy group the Cato Institute, which receives funding from those not so loveable rogues ExxonMobil.

Rather than insinuating deceit without proof it might be better to base your argument on scientific evidence. smile

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Dream, I've been watching some Bullshit lately, and while I am entertained by it, yes, sometimes it makes me see red at the blatant propaganda they preach.

Kazzamember
68 posts

Posted:
Hey rouge

I have to say thanks loads. Im doing geography teacher training and i needed some new up to date case studies. Thought you would appreciate having some uk students learning about it-not that it helps much but maybe......

Page: