Forums > Help! > Feeling sick after fire spinn

Login/Join to Participate

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I just did my first fire spinn tonight, and all went well. Except afterward I felt a little sick, mostly a gutrot feeling like you'd get from drinking too much soda and a little light headed and dizzy. I'd really like to know why this happend so I can change what ever caused it.
Is this normal, and what might have caused it. If it helps I used kerosean for the fuel. Or is this due to other things.
Don't worry I'm not going to quit just because of this. Hell I was going to light up again even feeling sick to my stomach, but my lighter died. ubbcrying

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Could be you've breathed in too much kero. (edited due to wrongness)

Could also be it was just the adrenalin!

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/
has lots of info about what fuels can do to you.

Be careful with the next spin, wear a mask if you find it does get to you and you still want to do it, and DON'T go on spinning if you feel dizzy, silly!!
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1166017027)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
bad reaction? kero smoke going too much in your face?

never had the problem myseld and use kero regularly

I agree with Birgit - wear a mask if needed
Good luck smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Possibly the lighteadedness and dizzyness could be because fire also needs oxygen to burn and therefore the oxygen around you as you spin is less than what your body is used to dealing with.

maybe? I'm only an arts student, what would i know? confused

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: acidchild

I just did my first fire spinn tonight, and all went well. Except afterward I felt a little sick, mostly a gutrot feeling like you'd get from drinking too much soda and a little light headed and dizzy. I'd really like to know why this happend so I can change what ever caused it.
Is this normal, and what might have caused it. If it helps I used kerosean for the fuel. Or is this due to other things.
Don't worry I'm not going to quit just because of this. Hell I was going to light up again even feeling sick to my stomach, but my lighter died. ubbcrying

Firstly, paraffin/kero is toxic,so it's not particularly abnormal to feel ill after a spin- it could be seen as a good sign- that your body is reacting appropriately to a toxin.

Some people are especially sensitive/allergic to paraffin/kero.

In the old days when I was juggling fire for up to 4 hour sessions, it definitly affected me and I would often feel mildly ill next day.

Currently I condsider myself sensitive to fuel- possibly caused by my past excesses smile I've heard other people say the same thing.

It doesn't stop me spinning fire, but, these days, I keep it very occasional- partly cos of the toxic effects, partly because I get so much more out of non-fire poi practice.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ARGH!

birgit: Paraffin IS kerosene!

RAGH!!!!!!

er yeah sorry.

I should think a firemans mask / gas mask / scuba diving kit would be the most effective form of mask

followed by:

heavy duty industrial face masks for dusty / painting jobs. (Heavy duty ones usually fit better and last longer.) ie: not the little white ones....

followed by:

Pollution masks for cyclists. (for filtering heavy metals and stuff out of the air)

or use a safer fuel: like shellsol T if ya can get. Search about and you'll find a thread on it.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
ummmm... that would have to be in American English then I assume?

Because chemically they're quite different with paraffin having chains of over 20 carbons, and kero having 12 to 15, which accounts for higher burning temperature and flammability and that.

So is American kero = British paraffin, or a mix of the 2?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
paraffin is the british name for kerosene. Kerosene is american english.

But to add to the confusion, paraffin is also a name for a completely different class of hydrocarbons. Like paraffin wax and such like. Wikipedia knows all.

joys.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
We have parafin AND kerosene in Ireland

The parafin is called 'superwarm fuel'

The kero is available at petrol stations and is red and smelly and so toxic i get a headache in minutes after using it.

Love is the law.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Meg, I know the chemical side of things. Just can't get used to the fact that different Englishspeakers can't even agree on names for firespinning stuff ubblol (and don't try and explain that they've been around before some hippies started soaking their toys in them, I won't believe you!)

And there's kerosene in the UK, too. Ditto about Ado and getting headaches from it, that's why I thought acidchild might've been feeling unwell!!

So... what's UK-kerosene in American?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
kerosene is kerosene, what other stuff they put in it is different by brand and such. Just like colemans fuel, which has more than one brand / name and lamp oil which is supposedly smokeless paraffin / kerosene... probably has other stuff in there to aid that...

Lamp oil is surely the only one where the fumes are expected to be inhaled. Which may or may not make it any safer / better for your lungs.

MSDS sheets for the win.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
it could just have been adrenalin you know...

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you can't burn adrenaline silly.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Some kinds of fuel will have additives to make them burn with less smoke, burn hotter/cooler, be funny colors, or taste real bad to put people off drinking them. In some countries the manufacturers don't have to state the additives on the container. When I was firebreathing together with my very safety conscious pyromaniac friend he'd insist we get as pure a paraffin as posible [the guy is practically a legend in certain fields, for doing very dangerous things as safely as possible).

It's usually worse on days when there's no wind, as you'll be standing in the middle of a cloud of paraffin fumes. Quite a bit of that will be vapour, and paraffin in your lungs will make you feel rather ill. It can cause pneumonia if you get too much in your lungs. If you're swallowing saliva that's absorbed paraffin, because you've been breathing it in, then paraffin also acts as a laxative, so can make your stomach turn too.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
In the UK, the difference between kerosene and paraffin COULD be related to sulphur content, that's just a guess though, a better answer might come from finding out the intended uses for both fuels. Maybe UK kerosene is intended as sort of an ersatz diesel fuel for tractors or something, and not intended to be burned indoors like our North American kerosene is.

Depending on the wax content, one might be a winter fuel, the other a summer fuel.

But whatever the difference, if it's got more than a 9 carbon chain in it,,it smokes and stinks, my sympathies go out to you UK burners who have to use this stuff tongue hug

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
see if i had been there....

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

see if i had been there....

What would have been diferant with you there faith?

The part that makes me wonder is this is the same kerosean we've used for stone polishing, And it's never botherd me before. In hindsight maby making a concious effort to stay upwind of it may have helped some. I'll keep the mask idea in mind too for fueling up anyway (me hates wearing thoes masks).

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

But whatever the difference, if it's got more than a 9 carbon chain in it,,it smokes and stinks, my sympathies go out to you UK burners who have to use this stuff tongue hug

tell that to the guy at BM who fire breathed with white gas and set his face on fire. I love that guy. Like a story of stupidity NYC tells you come true in front of your own eyes... I love kerosene. biggrin

Hey guys! Lets use the fuel that can sit on our flesh and burn it, rather than the one that can't! Yeah!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmmm lamp oil ubblove

FYI meg, paraffin and kero ARE different in the uk. we buy paraffin, not kero. kero is much, much more smokey; cause the paraffin we buy has additives. yay!

assentially they are all fractions of the same thing, but this is the order(with crap uk naming in use)

Kero - smokier than -paraffin - smokier than - lampoil.

expense is reversed, surprisingly enough (sarcasm)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep yep... unless you're in Northern Ireland, where you get Parasene... a splendid mix of the first two umm

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that may be the case mr blue, but they are still the same thing.

Just cos people happen to put less crap in kero and call it kerosene to sell it to you, and then put loads of crap in kerosene and sell it to you under a brand name with para in the name doesn't make them different things. I think they name either a certain fraction of hydrocarbons in the ingredients for parasene, or kerosene. We're still burning paraffin, whichever one you buy. (thou to avoid confusion, I'd rather call it kerosene.)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
except if you buy kerosene you don't get what we get in small tubs!

rolleyes

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
incidentally, paraffin hangovers are 'normal'

but not good for you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no you do! You get the same hydrocarbons that you're going to burn and then different chemical additives. But ultimately the base compounds of the stuff are the SAME.

So if we have tap water and bottled water. Ultimately they're both h2o, they contain a bit of different stuff, but they're both water.

And there's no guarantee from anyone that all fuels branded as paraffin, will contain tasty additives. Nor is there any guarantee that stuff called kerosene won't.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
my apologies on my brand of dry humor not carrying over, perhaps it was inappropriate

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

The kero is available at petrol stations and is red and smelly and so toxic i get a headache in minutes after using it.

RED?

kero down here is blue. crazy.

you know how the day after you spin you blow your nose and the mucus is black? perhaps your shonz isn't doing its job at filtering out all the dirty fumes.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah but if you go to london for a week, the same thing happens...