Page: ...
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I'll not name, but here are people using word 'gay', to

have fun from others, but I think it is quite unfair.

Sexual orientation is personal thing and someone

can feel accused. Have fun, but talk moral.

no comment,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

no way, molly-dog's beautiful.

hug ubblove kiss

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
but there's so many mollydogs! Probably at least ten in this thread alone!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
All Mollydogs rock.

But as for the "gay" thing...

I don't think its appropriate to use a contentious words within a community that has many different kinds of readers. While it would be nice to believe we are all gay friendly, I don't know that. When using contentious words like "gay" or the n word which I would never use, its really important to know the context in which its being used, as well as the audience to which you are speaking.

If you can't control that (as in an online forum made available to anyone with internet access) then really it shouldn't be used at all. I'm not overly comfortable with it being used in any context rather than referring to homosexuality - I don't want my sexual identity used as an insult. Ever.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: wonderloey

When using contentious words like "gay" or the n word which I would never use, its really important to know the context in which its being used, as well as the audience to which you are speaking.

If you can't control that (as in an online forum made available to anyone with internet access) then really it shouldn't be used at all.

Great point.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya. I don't like the use of the word gay to mean lame or rubbish, for the good reasons posted above: that it links a group of people with an insult. I live in a culture where male homosexuality can be a life threatening occupation due to 'poofter bashing' and I am too aware of suicide rates in young 'gay' people here to think it's just a harmless bit of wordplay.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
On the other hand, here's a great joke for ya. A skateboarding joke which makes fine use of the current double entendre.

Q. What's the worst thing about rollerblading?

A. Having to tell your parents you're gay.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
gabe you you got it,

I don't want my sexual identity used as an insult. Ever.

tough.

everyines identity is used as an insult, think 'bloody pommies' or 'bloody frenchies' or 'bloody intelectuals' or anything else, only in a society where we can us the word and not have everyone all het up about it is really a tollerant society, untill then i gues we have to put up with being human.. innit?

context being used- talking to other 'gays' on the internet.

auidence i am speaking to- other 'gays' on the internet.

who gives a [censored] about what an anonymous reader might get offended by, as ive already pointed out that can happen whatever you say, the important thing is to say what you want and dont let them take your name from you, but claim it as your own.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

All Mollydogs rock.

I don't want my sexual identity used as an insult. Ever.

mollydog probably doesn't much like it when nasty girls get called b!tches... but do you hear her complaining?

to be honest though, it really does depend on context, i have mildy homophobic straight friends, i have friends who really couldn't give a damn, i have friends who are fag-hags and i have gay friends, all of them use it, some of them i tell off, some of them i don't.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
this thread is gay biggrin

Yay for irony wink

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
who gives a censored about what an anonymous reader might get offended by, as ive already pointed out that can happen whatever you say, the important thing is to say what you want and dont let them take your name from you, but claim it as your own.

Yup, if the anonymous reader doesn't speak up or care enough to complain, they can take their apathy and [censored] off. Why should I care what they think, if they don't even tell me what they think?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Take a teaspoon of cement with their morning coffee and harden the F*** up?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
devil's Advocate Time again...

Suppose its very easy for those who have spent years growing comfortable with their sexuality so say they are okay with using 'gay' as lame or with irony. That's the funny thing with Irony, you need prior knowledge and contexts to be able to appreciate it.

Meg, maybe they don't tell you what they think because even the casual observer would find your strong opinions intimidating, even terrifying. Even inanimate stuffed monkeys are scared of you now...

A young impressionable gay person may read this forum expecting open-mindedness through which they can escape their, only to find these comments, not get the irony and feel that even in a supposedly open-minded microcosm they are not welcome and not accepted. On the flipside an impressionable youngster comes to learn poi and on the side come away thinking that it's okay to use 'gay' as a negative slur, without irony...

Where does freedom of speech end and social responsibility begin...?

I got preachy again. I'm Soooooo gay...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
or maybe they'll read this thread, realise what a stupendous amount of BS we all talk and go off and practise?

People should speak up if they have an opinion, and then go and vote.

I'm also happy to abuse noobs who haven't taken the time to get to know the history and 'context' of hop. People who don't use the search function for example. As a community, it's only polite to be quiet at the beginning and learn about the community, rather than barging it and demanding things of it immediately.

wow, these noobs are really expecting open mindedness? What about exactly? And what gave them that impression?

and if it's these youngsters we have to care about so much, surely they're up to date with all this new slang? they probably think that calling something lame, gay, is for old losers and they have a much 'cooler' word now.

I think it's the old guys we're got to worry about. They're the ones that are pissed off.

and more importantly, why do we have to mold ourselves around the feelings of young kids? Why can't we have adult values and an adult community? (Well apart from that we play with toys...)(not those kind of toys.)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

and more importantly, why do we have to mold ourselves around the feelings of young kids? Why can't we have adult values and an adult community? (Well apart from that we play with toys...)(not those kind of toys.)

We cant have an adult community as this is a PG forum, implying that kids are welcome here and it is safe for them to be..... Although im with you on the fact that moulding and shapeing our talk to suite anothers possible insecurity is infact, rubbish smile freedom of speech and all that, besides i think the people that use the term alot round here are people that put alot into these boards and a character build up can be done to realise the context that "gay" is being used.

besides, its only got 3 letters, there are much more insulting words we can use that we dont (often)...... just take a look at any guildford threads wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Women....

rolleyes

Love is the law.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Ado-p... ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

Written by: mcp

We cant have an adult community as this is a PG forum, implying that kids are welcome here and it is safe for them to be..... Although im with you on the fact that moulding and shapeing our talk to suite anothers possible insecurity is infact, rubbish smile freedom of speech and all that, besides i think the people that use the term alot round here are people that put alot into these boards and a character build up can be done to realise the context that "gay" is being used.

just cos it's PG doesn't mean we have to dumb it down. This isn't hollywood.

If I start using long words and talking in proper english, with words like: pertinent, juxtaposition, ramifications, and y'know big words like that. It's not geared at young kids, but maybe they're get the idea that text speak makes them look like retards. And maybe that'll force them to increase their literacy.

I can express a lot of 'unsafe' ideas without using swear words that's for sure. Or even explicitly stating them.

But me caring about the community? damn what's that about...

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
wait up maby i've missed the point of the thread but does this meen im not aloud to say my gay friends are gay? how about vaginaly-averse would that be better smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Apparently not, and I'm not allowed to call you gay either... This situation is so gay...

Cervically-challenged?

Twiggymember
162 posts

Posted:
This threads gay.

If you dont recognise the irony of the above comment, im glad your offended.

If you didnt recognise it in that one either its your own fault, i was giving you a second chance.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
oh dear its political correctness gone mad does that meen ga...errr vaginaly/cervicaly-challanged people can't say gay ether? cos quite afew people i know arn't gona know how to refer to them selfs!!

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I mean no offense, except to those that take it. smile

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hang on. I thought the intention of this thread isn't about calling homosexual people gay.

It is about using the word 'gay' as a generalised insult to mean lame, stupid or worthless. Which then implies that homosexual people are that.

An equivalent would be to use the word 'jew'. Which, given the history of pogroms and discrimination both those groups of people have already suffered, (pink star or yellow?) would not be light and cute wordplay, but a newly fashionable form of old fashioned nastiness. Which is how I take using 'gay' in that sense.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I don't often use the word gay. I say "that sucks". Yay! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jon, you're not invisible, it's just that everyone is ignoring you! ubblol hug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Hang on. I thought the intention of this thread isn't about calling homosexual people gay.
It is about using the word 'gay' as a generalised insult to mean lame, stupid or worthless.

That's been stated more than a few times by more than a few people. Then it gets derailed by the skimmers and chat kids.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
what about nerd or geek? dont they have the same problem they started as insults and were eventualy adopted by the communitys them selfs?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
What about replacing 'gay' with other hilarious words that are fun to say?

I think we should have a poll.

The words have to fit into these patterns:

You are _______________

That's ________________

I would learn that, if it wasn't so totally __________________

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
For what it's worth, the local school board initiated a program designed to discourage the use of the phrase "that's so gay", last fall.

It's a poster and awareness campaign called " that's so gay, is not ok"

Gay people should show a little self respect and fight the condescending and deragatory use of this word, starting now.

Page: ...