Page: ...
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I'll not name, but here are people using word 'gay', to

have fun from others, but I think it is quite unfair.

Sexual orientation is personal thing and someone

can feel accused. Have fun, but talk moral.

no comment,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
bang on...

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Yes! I'm sick of being accused of being gay! Oh wait... shrug

Is that because you're a poof? ubbangel

He's a magic dragon now? I'm confused...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
gaaaaaaay! tongue

T

(there, i dun it)

-><- Kallisti

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Wikipedia says:

Common usage

Overview article: Terminology of homosexuality

* Gay is used as an adjective to describe sexual orientation and is usually chosen instead of homosexual as an identity label.
* Gay sex is used to describe sexual acts between or among people of the same sex or gender, regardless of their sexual orientation.
* Gay is used to describe the "gay community" by both insiders and the mainstream media.
* Gay is sometimes used to describe an object of particular flamboyance or camp.
* Gay can be used as a nonspecific derogatory comment towards a person or object. As a term of abuse it may be widely used by adolescents.
* Other connotations can vary widely based upon speaker and situation.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
good artical from the gardian, it didnt mention if under 28 gays were offended by it...

peaple will always say nasty things, we dont have to listen, or even let them have thier own words.

" * Gay is used as an adjective to describe sexual orientation and is usually chosen instead of homosexual as an identity label."

if we want to be gay and we want to call ourselves such, what right do we have to say that a few peaple cant use that grouping as a scapegoat.

I have done the same with americans, men, women, peaple from belgium (belgish?), david blunkett...

any or all of thease peaple could be offended to hear me, but im not directing malice at them, im just using whatever cultural referance for something bad.

its just a word, its not even that, its just a signifier for a thought, the signifier can change, but the thought will always be there. It dosnt matter if you say rubbish or pants or tack, the thought behind it will always be 'gay' (or whatever you call your thought for that thing)

T wave
EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1165882358)

-><- Kallisti

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Pejorative non-sexualized usage

When used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative. The Times (June 6 2006, p.3) comments that while retaining its other meanings, it has also acquired "a widespread current usage" amongst young people, to mean "lame" or "rubbish". This pejorative usage has its origins in the 1980s, when homosexuality was more widely seen as negative by many people. Beginning in the 1990s and especially in the 2000s, the usage as a generic insult became common among young people, who may or may not link the term to homosexuality. This practice is frowned upon in communities that seek to ensure respect for people of all sexual orientations, and is considered by some to be on par with ethnic slurs. Many defenders of the word's pejorative usage choose to spell it "ghey" to avoid any sexual connotations. Critics object to this change of spelling, often comparing it to the use of words like "knigger" for nigger to evade accusations of racism.

A 2006 BBC ruling by the Board of Governors over the use of the word in this context by Chris Moyles on his Radio 1 show, "I don't want that one, it's gay", stated that:

The word 'gay' ... need not be offensive... or homophobic... The governors said, however, that Moyles was simply keeping up with developments in English usage. [...] The committee... was "familiar with hearing this word in this context." The governors believed that in describing a ring tone as 'gay', the DJ was conveying that he thought it was 'rubbish', rather than 'homosexual'. [...] The panel acknowledged however that this use... in a derogatory sense... could cause offence in some listeners, and counselled caution on its use.[

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

HealthyTouchProBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
richee, your closing you eyes t comunication, and because we jokingly use the word gay means we have shallow discussion?

1) the biggest offender here is also the most intresting to read, on any subject.

2) have you read hop recently? it doesnt have to use sexual slag just to be mediochre! e.g. the last person to post wins! thread.

how dare you dictate to me what I can say in public, its not your forum, how would you like it if i put up a thread about peaple who cant speak good english, and how they shouldent post because it just causes confusion...?

who are thease peaple taking offence? shouldnt they be able to close the window if they dont like it? "youve all got knobs havent you? so use them!" kenny everett

if you think that discussions that use the word gay are shallow and stupid, dont read them, gay is not on the censored list, and i dont think it should be.

by wanting to cencor its use, you may as well want to stop a cliff from eroding, a leaf from growing, a wave from curling.

we do far more good using gay as we do than we do harm to the few peaple who can get it out of context enough to be offended.

bad words are powerfull censored dick arse censored censored censored bugger, to powerfull for poilte discussion, but they serve tier perose, and to close yourself off to them is to ignore a basic part of what we are. language and its meaning chage through lifes action, it grows and chages like a cliff or a leaf or a wave. who are you to say wich way a wave should break? but you will ride it with the rest of us.

stop being a nanny. its so gay.

and you havent answered my first question.

T wave

STupidity does not have to be pointed out, it's VERY Obvious.

Head in hands so much to learn...

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2212170,00.html
(totally stolen from meg)

language changes, its dynamic, personally i use the word gay alot

gay = slack
gay = lame
gay = as if you just pulled that trick off that was insane
gaylord = brett
gay = inlove with yourself
gay = happy
gay = stop licking my nipples! a simple hug hello will suffice

so, does "gaylord = brett" because he pulls off insane tricks or because he's happy and/or likes to lick your nipples?

ps. this thread's gay. ubbrollsmile

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I'm gay, this thread is gay, I'm smiling and feeling gay... 3 different meanings of the same word, like for example: That colour is blue, I'm feeling blue, that blew. Again 3 different meanings to the same word (in sound at least). He's black, that's black humour, he's wearing black. 3 different meanings yet again!

Why shouldn't the word gay have multiple meanings?

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Playing devil's advocate - Someone would argue that no one uses 'black' as meaning 'crap' and 'Blue' aren't a race of people. biggrin 'Gay' just happens to roll off people's tongue very easily.

Written by: Drudwyn

I'm feeling blue, that blew.

That was a very gay third example tongue

How about 'the content of this film is a bit blue'?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

632 posts

Posted:
What about the word sick which can mean good, or the American phrase "Badass" which also means good?

Words change their meanings, or have new meanings assigned to them. Yes I would prefer to not have the word gay meaning crap, but it's common usage now, and it needs to be taken back biggrin

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
can everyone who has a problem with the word "Gay" in it's current usage please stop being so gay about it.
EDITED_BY: the boy g (1165935320)

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think we have many uses of the word gay, but I think the contentious issue is:

People using the word 'gay' to mean lame, without any reference implied by them to it's other meanings, can offend both:

people who think it's offensive to homosexuals because the insult comes from being called gay, like it's bad.

people who think it's offensive to homosexuals because it associates homosexuality with lameness because the same word is used for both meanings.

and that's not to mention people that call things gay with the implied meaning that being gay is crap and therefore whatever they're calling gay is crap too. <- these sorts of people are obviously gay. wink

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

632 posts

Posted:
Homosexuality is gay.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
That's why I'm taking a vow of celibacy...

Like my father and his father before him...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
We're all goin' to hell boys! Woooo!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I call shotgun...

632 posts

Posted:
But can you imagine the parties? So much fire spinning, plus all the best bands will be there, it'd be like a late 80s metal fest wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
PFfft! Fire-spinning in hell is like sock spinning in here...

In Hell you have to spin with the semi-tangible manifestations of the essensces of the most powerfully vile souls or the incomprehensible truths of existance in all planes of reality....

Really fast with no control... Like ever... Forever...

All you need is a stick or a chain...

632 posts

Posted:
Mmmm, n-dimensional atomics, and tangling the tortured souls of those who have gone before. It'd be like Burning man after too much acid tongue

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Where's Richee? He started this post. I don't think he's posted in it since the first post xx

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Oh no, he has...

Written by: Richee

In conversation or dialog, using of sexual
or immoral word signify, social thread ex-
cluded, low level of discussion.

lightning,

:R

He's just neglected to post anything since... You think we've scared him off?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that dog in jo's avatar almost scared me off...

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I think it's all down to peer pressure for adolescent boys.

They feel they have to assert their own heterosexuality by verbally appearing homophobic, even though they may not be fully aware of what their sexuality is.

MTV's Beavis and Butthead are a good example of this group, as they're always insulting each other by using insults like 'butt-munch, fart-knocker, turd-burglar'. Given the fact that they don't have girlfriends, and spend all their time in each other's company, it's the only way they feel they can inform the world that they are not, in fact gay.

They're also pretty misogynistic in their attitude to women for the same reasons.

The funny thing is, if they haven't yet come out of the closet, the same words may also be taken a different way, with another word implied.

'My' fart-knocker etc.

Perhaps it's a way of asking 'are you like me?' with all the real meaning being in how it's said, and how you act to the person you say it to.

[edit]

I think the words themselves aren't offensive, it's the people and the way they use them that causes the offense.

If the intent was to cause offense, the word would become more offensive.

They older generation still occasionally uses the word gay in it's original context, while the younger one uses it to mean 'lame'. They could be talking about the same thing.
EDITED_BY: polarity (1165941403)

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

I think we have many uses of the word gay, but I think the contentious issue is:

People using the word 'gay' to mean lame, without any reference implied by them to it's other meanings, can offend both:

people who think it's offensive to homosexuals because the insult comes from being called gay, like it's bad.

people who think it's offensive to homosexuals because it associates homosexuality with lameness because the same word is used for both meanings.

That was intelligent and articulate.

How novel.

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oy! wot about my posts gayboy?

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

That was intelligent and articulate.

How novel.

ubbangel

huhuhuh... 'gay' hhuhuhuhuhhh *snort*

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

that dog in jo's avatar almost scared me off...

eek
that's mollydog! how can anyone be scared of mollydog! hug hug

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Well seeing how she assaulted Bugis then dowsed 'Femme' on him I don't think she's a fan of cute things...

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
no way, molly-dog's beautiful. she reminds me of my Topaz... ubbcrying

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Page: ...