Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I just discovered the wonders of Facebook. I've found Stroo and Flameboy on there but I'm wondering if anyone else uses it? If not, go get on there now smile

[Edit] Link fixed [/Edit]

EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1165777565)

Cake or Death?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
college and credit cards go hand in hand...I got in debt because bf at the time was an addict-didn't know how bad it was till I saw random withdrawals.

Getting a signature isn't hard, you apply for card, sign card and then it's the sig their looking at. Most people don't keep an eye on their credit report and because of this a credit card can go unnoticed for a bit.

A lot of people do have their addresses and phones on facebook...i have my phone, no addy though. It's not the smartest idea...addy is a horrible idea

If you have a lot of personal info on their make sure you have a limited profile so that only the people you want see the information

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ummm... surely even if someone opens a credit card account in your name and with your details, they'd have to get *A* signature from *SOMEWHERE* (and facebook doesn't usually display a "here's my signature" field), so it would be extremely easy to prove it's not yours. And that the cards were never actually sent to the stolen address given. And that everything bought with that card was sent to a different address and name than yours/bought in shops in different countries etc.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

3,556 posts

Posted:
to the last part no. I had all my accounts from my home addy and one credit card from my old apartment. It didn't raise any flags.

As for the first part, if you the stealer are filling out the form. They do not have a sig to compare it too. Part of the contract just says you agree that you are who you say you are

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't know about anywhere else, but a lot of banks over here have a record of the sort of places you use your credit card at, and therefore if there is a transaction at a place that doesn't fit your profile then banks start to get suspicious and they call you to ask.

I've had this happen to two friends (both adult friends of the family, neither students). In one instance it was because the card was stolen. In the other instance it was cos the guy had just happened to buy something unusual. But in both instances the bank thought something was up and called them.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yes, Faith, but IF you have people suddenly telling you you owe them money for a credit card, then it is easily proven that it wasn't YOU who applied for the card or did any transactions with it. And if they use your address from facebook, but have the card sent out to another address, without anything written with your proper signature on it and anything to compare it to, then that's negligence on account of the bank if they do dodgy dealings like that and they'll have no hold whatsoever on you trying to get money from "your" credit card back. Any bank or organisation that gives out a credit card without proof of ID is asking to be used for fraud.

Yes, it's annoying and all, but legally there's no way the banks can force you to give them money for a fraud like that. By the way, how many people on here have their full name, birthday and hometown on HoP? Most people can get all details off that and a phone book with the address to the name. Or probably find out where people log in from using the right type of software anyway. So yeah, let's all not use HoP anymore because it's unsafe ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
been at a check out in a shop once.... the bank called me there and then as they were doing the transaction...

THat was good service.

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
Must have been a pretty dodgy shop wink

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
naw i was spending lots of money in one purchase. wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Noooooooooooooo frown

Now I want to make my own account to join my old school group

ubbcrying ubbcrying ubbcrying

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
do it you know you want too

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I currently have some girl who I don't even know sending me messages giving me [censored] for my user photo because I'm wearing a slouch hat (Australian Army dress hat, for those who don't know) because apparently "army pics are not cool on facebook"

Seriously, anyone got a life to spare? Because I think that twit needs one!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

3,556 posts

Posted:
I love those people...lol

Faith

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i like your hat rougie.. so sod them!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Microsoft could value Facebook at $10b
September 25, 2007
MICROSOFT is in talks to buy into Facebook in a deal that could value the online company at $US10 billion, according to reports.

The move could give Microsoft more access to young users and let Facebook get closer to a major software maker at a time when its growth is increasingly tied to a proliferation of small applications from independent developers on its site.

Citing people familiar with the matter, the Journal said the world's largest software company sought to buy a stake of up to 5 per cent in Facebook for $US300 million to $US500 million.

Facebook, led by its 23-year-old founder and Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg, may insist on a valuation as high as $US15 billion and is considering raising up to $US500 million in cash to expand its operations, according to the Journal.

Such a deal could help Microsoft better compete against web search leader Google Inc for a growing base of online advertising and put one of the internet's hottest names in Microsoft's camp.
Facebook, which already has an advertising deal with Microsoft, would benefit from closer ties with developers as it seeks to turn its site into a full-fledged web platform where users can play games, interact and read news about each other, said Forrester analyst Charlene Li.

“If you are building a business around building a platform there is one company that has done it better than anybody else - and that is Microsoft,” she said. “People have been just assuming that Google would be the best partner and that is not necessarily the case.”

Google has also expressed an interest in investing in Facebook, the Journal report said.

“It would probably be pretty good for Microsoft since it has not had the best success in creating really hip, young-people-grabbing stuff on the web,” said Kim Caughey, a senior analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group, which oversees more than $US1 billion, including Microsoft shares, for clients.

Representatives for Microsoft and Facebook declined to comment.

Zuckerberg has repeatedly said his company wants to remain independent and is seen as preparing to float itself on the stock market eventually.

Facebook has grown to 39 million members, up nearly 63 per cent from 24 million in late May, and is quickly gaining ground on larger rival MySpace, which was taken over by News Corp in 2005 for what is now seen as a bargain price of $US580 million. MySpace has more than 200 million users.

Facebook's explosion popularity has also drawn increased scrutiny, including a 50-state investigation into the company by attorneys general concerned about web sexual predators.

New York Attorney-General Andrew Cuomo today said his office had subpoenaed Facebook and accused it of not keeping young users safe. Facebook said it was preparing a statement about the issue.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft already has an exclusive agreement until 2011 to broker display advertisements for Facebook. The Journal said Microsoft and Facebook are discussing expanding that agreement beyond the United States.

Microsoft shares rose 1.5 per cent to $US29.08 on Nasdaq.

https://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22478638-643,00.html

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I'm totally going to ditch my account if that happens.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Just imagine all of the people that will end up with their personal data being owned by MS if it does get sold to them.

Wonder how big their user base will be after that.

I don't think that I'd be overly enthusiastic about keeping my account.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
um is there a hopper called robyn bell... I ask because I've been added and I haven't a clue who they are but I don't really use real names in real life so it's not a problem..

anybody know please drop me a PM biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Um. Wow. Reading that article made me swear a lot.

An easy 10 million and they effectively have a monopoly on networking platforms.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I have so many ppl I don't know on myspazz as mates. just dont go there. Bebo has helped find some school chums but I must admit, facebook is much better (as long as your not that stupid to put your home address on. If your account gets hacked, your buggered). I have no contact details there, just my emeal/pm. and there's always the option to block someone who causes hassle.

I kept getting dozens of invites to other "sharing" profile sites from this guy I've never spoken to. So I sent him a message to stop - he said he wasnt - why i was in his address book I dont know - so I forwarded an email I'd recieved from myspace I think, and he told me to [censored] off and that i was a child. Well, if he thinks i'm a child, and he kept sending me invites... I told him my harsh thoughts and blocked the creep!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump*

laugh3 now I found the very thread that ringed the bell of doom to HoP forums, especially Chat wink

I would say FB is highly overrated, packed with (useless) applications - with the sole purpose to rip your personal information - and completely annoying Quizzes, that certainly won't make you look bad at any time.

Sure, it's good to keep in touch, outcompeted mayspace by far and maybe the largest personality website up to this point...

FB sucks so hard, it's almost a pleasure wink

Quite wicked how ppl freak out on status updates and comments or relationship status...

One good thing has been that FB accounted for 98% of my spam folders...

And now I changed all this. N O notifications anymore whatsoever and I start to organize my 380 odd friends into friend lists, separate them into close friends I like to stay in touch with and remote friends that I really only met once (if at all).. then there come those who decide to do 20 quiz/ day and clog my newsfeed, along with those who (ab)use FB to pour their negitivity and political propaganda spam into my morning tea...

I mean, what's the point?
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1246172733)
EDIT_REASON: review

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Poppy-roseBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
okay Im on FB and had a few requests but not sure if they are from HoP people. If ppl are adding, please put HoP or Poi-ing, or something related to Poi so I know where your from and not just adding random ppl! lol
Oh im in the HoP Group too!
email address r.wareham@live.co.uk

Poppys will always be close to your heart.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah you guys when you send me invites, most of you have done this, but a few have'nt, please tell me your HoP usename in the invite.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Haha same. I always kind of feel a little creeped out when somebody random from like oklahoma friend requests me.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I was not random!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Maybe he thought you were. wink

https://www.facebook.com/icarusforde/

smile

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
www.facebook.com/mikefromglos

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Poppy-roseBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
lol
www.facebook.com/rosiewareham

Poppys will always be close to your heart.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I have a face page, make sure you tell me who you are if you decide to add.

https://www.facebook.com/hipsternightmare

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Page: ...