DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Myself and Santana have an upcoming event in a couple weeks, and would like to do a very dramatic, very tribal tattoo paint pattern for the show. I have a book with several examples of Maori tribal tattoos, but I was curious if that might be considered offensive since neither of us represents the culture. We would like to at least pay some homage to the roots of our art, so I thought if I did a little research I could find some examples that bear no religious or cultural significance. Can anyone offer some examples of secular, simple, and above all cool-looking Maori tattoo patterns?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Hi Dio,

While not maroi meself i know some, and yes if you use some images it could casue offense. Where are you based? I'll try to hook you up with a expert that can help you out.

Regards

VAMP

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Ok these may help a bit too.

General maroi portal

Moko FAQ

more info

if you want any more mail me.

Vamp

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
why don't you just take some ideas of shapes and kinda funk them up to a 2003 industrial, underground look.. after all you are right in saying that you are not Maori, but you do practise thier arts, but in the new century.. I think we have changed the old meaning of poi..

Email me some pics that you like and I'll have a play for you..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
www.tamoko.com.au

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

729 posts

Posted:
Hmm, anyone have any cool black & white artwork that would fit the description? I'm thinking like maybe Celtic dragon art or even just jagged, loopy sorts of patterns that will be simple to apply but still appear somewhat complex...

Thanks all!

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
maybe try looking for some crop circle patterns

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I have a fire dragon pic I did ages ago - kind of a stencil in the way that it's black n white unconnected shapes. Not celtic though - more firey and styalized and very strong shapes. You want me to email you a copy?

It would look fantastic around someone's waist or down an arm/back.

I can send you some other designs too if you want, but they're all tribal not celtic. (or I can draw something - just let me know

I wouldn't go for real maori designs if i were you simply because what we do is no longer what their poi was about, and as you said already you are not a maori and don't want to offend them.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
sounds good fluff, post it!!

how bout this..is a maori warrior godhead(tekoteko)

[image]https://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2cc39b3127cce92b6fc0651280000001610[/image]

this on might give you more good ideas for maori tribal patterns

[image]https://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3dd04b3127cce95f4750dc8930000001610[/image]

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I can't post it cos it's not up on a site, but I can mail it to you if you want musashii.

To do really bold tribal-looking body paints just use strong blocks and interlocking stripes and strong repeated shapes...try and make them go with the contours of the body to make them most effective.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
OK, slightly off topic, but last week I got a tattoo of a black posidrive (Philip's) screwhead on my ankle... I bet a lot of you have had similar marks but I wanted to have the mark of a fire twirler permanently! People keep asking me what it is, but I've not met anyone who knows at first glance yet - but here's hoping!

729 posts

Posted:
FNF - sure, email it to me pretty please I do so enjoy dragons.

I need basic things, nothing too radically detailed because the paint set I have isn't meant for fine lines. That's why the tribal stuff appeals to me in this instance.

Good call on the Maori stuff, consider it no longer an option. I've decided to tattoo a life-size bust of Whoopi Goldberg on my back for the upcoming show.