Forums > Social Chat > work de-stress tips please!

Login/Join to Participate

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Help!!!!!

I'm finding myself in the most stressful place i've ever been in at work.

Any helpful tips out there?

I usually can handle things pretty well but I'm really losing it at times lately!

Crying at home when I think about having to come here, tear-ing up here from pure frustration, can feel bood sugar dropping at trying times even when I've eaten well, can't breathe properly at times....all so strange. At least I'm aware of whats happening at least, I suppose that's a good thing.

The only thing keeping me sane is the hope that my package from Malcolm will be sitting in the letterbox when I get home!!!!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
babe, this sounds pretty extreme. Are you okay?

I can give you basic de-stress tips, but if it is more serious... well. Just take care, and seek help with your loved ones. You can PM me too cos I have been through similar things. But most of all, look after yourself.

Basic destress tips:
1. Find one joke per day (whether it be from a friend, off the internet or whatever)
2. Tell one joke per day
3. Take a break and take a walk. If you can't get out of the office, go somewhere quiet (even the toilets) and take some deep breaths.
4. Remember what a special person you are, write it down if you have to
5. Keep pictures or toys on your desk if you can, ones that give you happy thoughts. Pick them up or touch them every now and then.
6. Get up a little earlier in the morning if you can, but get up more slowly. Make yourself a coffee, make yourself breakfast, don't be in a rush if you can help it. Give yourself time to prepare and make yourself calm.

Most of all, remember that whilst your job is important, it doesn't define everything that you are. You are so much more.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I find it helps to remember that everyone else is imaginary.

What work are you doing?

Magnus... pay it forward

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the concern guys! I work in admin in the transport industry, with 45 guys, & a lot of stress on all of us at the moment. Internet & poi breaks are my only relief here! I do eat really well, especially brekkie as I start at 5:30am. Actually, that's why I work here, so I am home for my kids after school.

All is looking up though. Strange as this is going to sound, my husband got retrenched from his job yesterday & it seems like it could be a blessing in disguise.

We are going through the process of buying a business, maybe things will move a little faster now & be able to give up this job asap!

Am still finding the sheer physical reaction of being here at work very strange! Since I've turned 30 I have been very strong about having people around me respect my limits as I have a rather busy life. Maybe my body is trying to make me take some of my own advice?

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
plantgirlll, hang in there, sounds like there might be light at the end of the tunnel.

short term suggestions - take a walk, learn some breathing exercises, take some lollies to work, take a bunch of flowers for your desk, go somewhere radically different for lunch, or your breaks, have a bath when you get home......

best of luck!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
We all know the best stress releiver in the world is lots of sex. You are married and your husband now suddenly has plety of time. I suggest you change his job description slightly to include stress management techniques.

Let's see... He should have a snack and a hot bath ready for you when you get home, then a nice back rub with massage oil for at least half an hour afterwards before the main event (buy him a massage book or send him to a massagist - not to be confused with a massaganist - for a day for pointers if he doesn't know how to give a proper back rub). The said main event should be primarily for your benifit of you know what I mean. A strict regiment of this should help your situation considerably.

Don't worry about repaying the favor immediatly. There will be plenty of time for paybacks when you guys get that other business going and he is stressing out about that. And don't be afraid to suggest this - I, and most guys I know, would be more than happy to do this for the woman I/we love.

As for the kids, well, I'm sure they will foil this plan to some degree depending on their age, but remember that your mental and physical health is very important to their well being too, so you won't be helping them as much as you think if you give them all your de-tox time. A happy mother who is occasionally unavailable is much better than a frustrated one that is always there. They may complain about your sudden lack of constant attentiveness, but don't worry about it, as the over all family happiness level will go up if yours does. I'm sure you can find the proper balance if you look for it.

Almost any level of stress at work is at least manageable if your home life is cool. But if home is stress, then all of life is stress.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i 'heard' its good to go to the toilets and have a quick fiddle....whatever THAT means...

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Relaxing more at home is good, but in my experience this will just contrast more against the working day and make you hate work even more.

Magnus... pay it forward

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The breathing thing sounds like a panic attack in which case you have my every sympathy, cause they suck more than waything that ever sucked. Try get some exercise. I promise you nothing will destress you as fast. It'll have to be something slightly harder than poi though. The gym is good and jogging good too. Hope that helps.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
You are all so lush!

Thank you all so much, your ideas are fantastic!

Vanize, you're so right, and I am 30, I'm sure we all know what that means for chicks!

UCF, I guess you mean I should be checking & adjusting the jewellery in my new piercing?!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
no i actually meant goto the toilets and have a ****. if you ****** wanted to you could always use a **** with someone eleses **** in your hand and another one ****** your ****. what i heard is nice for women is if they get their **** and put a ******* on it and use the other ****** to make them ***** with a badger.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Silly putty sounds like fun too...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
silly putty doesn't just sound fun...

...it feels fun!!!