HeadwoundHarrynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Ok. I've watched most of MCP's vids on Contact spinning, and can't seem to get down the basic neck and/or shoulder spin. Every time I try..the thing comes back and whacks me across the face/ears. Any suggestions on how to avoid the pain? Thanks

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
duck your head wink

oh and lift your shoulder, it helps with the ducking part smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
This helps lots >>> shrug

Edit: Okay, That was supposed to be a shoulder-shrug...
EDITED_BY: Neon_Shaolin (1165334955)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
keep your arms out straight too... and move faster... or slower...

try moving at the same speed the staff is..

am i even helping?

keep at it... thats actually about the best advice i can give you. contact grows on you...

Love is the law.

HeadwoundHarrynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Yea, since I started staff about a week ago, I can now do front left and right rotor, helicopter, 3 and 4 beat throws, and am now just getting into contact...so far I can whack myself pretty good in the face. *sigh*...I'll keep at it! By the way...I'm sure there have been many thanks said...but thanks so much MCP for the time you put into making all the tutorials on your page. They REALLY help in getting the techniques ingrained in my head. You know what they always say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." smile Also, thanks to they guy who made all the spinning tutorials on HOP!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
if it helps, you will hit yourself in the face A LOT learning contact staff basics, then you will graduate to OFTEN then OCCASSIONALLY but don't give up dude, staff is sweet when it clicks wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jaysusnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
when i do neck spins i sort of lean my head and neck forwards and it makes the staff drop down in front of you to catch it XD

btw can anyone do angel wraps cos i cant get how to do them

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
if you mean angel rolls..... yes smile

1 beat is easy, you just have to make sure the staff rolls, much like it does in a steve, most people make the mistake of it being like a halo, which it is definately not smile

To get multiple beats, you have to have a beat at the elbow & shoulder either side........

Good luck ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

HeadwoundHarrynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Woot! I got the neck roll and reverse shoulder roll down to drops only every 6 or 7 times! Still haven't figured out the forward shoulder roll...*shrug* It's going to take a lot of practice to learn the more advanced moves, but I think I'm up for it. One thing i've learned....It hurts ALOT when your hands are numb from the cold if the staff hit your in the finger tips. OUCH!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that's why winter makes you more hardcore. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yes Meg, you're SOOOOOOO hardcore with your big flats with tall ceilings and warm rooms dedicated to spinning with nary a worry about breakages... ubbloco

Alternatively you can still spin when I stand near you with this...

Non-Https Image Link

Be lovely and warm in no time... smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

jaysusnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
so with angel rolls you sort of give the staff a little flick and let it roll down your arms

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
pretty much dude, yeh smile

Hold stick vertical in hand, rolld towads you down you arm,

the end that start in the air faces down inbetween your shoulder blades, then face up again when hits the other hand.

Its all in the "little flick" wink

weavesmiley

SickWithWondermember
56 posts

Posted:
with angel rolls its also important to understand that there will be both roll and rotation in your staff....

like globetrotter style rolling, and normal spin rotation...

and to learn it also helps if you start with your hand a little higher than shoulder level, and let gravity help you get a feel for it, because you kinda have to give it a little tug if its horizontal... ^ see above ^

jaysusnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
oh cool thanx people

jaysusnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
woooooo i can angel roll XD smile:):) well most of the time

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
just keep your staff level that should help