MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So last night, I suddenly got this impulse to get some Silly Putty! I haven't played with it in years! The cool thing about adulthood is that I can take myself to the Dollar Store, buy 3 eggs of silly putty, and then go play with them. No asking parents or anything! And to think I've had this ability for years and I haven't ever taken advantage of it...

And now I am playing with Silly Putty! Hee hee! This stuff is so fun!

Yes, I know that I am easily amused.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
What is silly putty?

That's the great thing about being an adult you can do as you please. But so many adults never seem to realise which is sad.

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You don't know what Silly Putty is???

Silly Putty is an artificial polymer that was accidentaly discovered during WWII when the U.S. was trying to make synthetic rubber. Silly Putty is technically a very viscous liquid, but is considered a "dilatent" compound. That is to say that it yields to steady, firm pressure, but it resists sudden, sharp blows. You can bounce a ball of Silly Putty higher than most rubber balls, but put that same ball on your desk for a few days and it will flatten out.

You can press Silly Putty against a newspaper and it will pick up the newsprint so that you can pull on it and distort it. You can press your fingerprints into Silly Putty! It's just really neat and fun stuff to play with.

-Mike

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have some silly putty Thistle. I'll let you play with it sometime

Or easier still they sell it in Woolies. So next time you're in town pop in and ask them.

Meh

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Best stuff ever

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Thanks Lightning for the link. I am educated in the history and uses of Silly Putty now

Think I'll pop down to the local Woolworths to get some rather than wait to see you C@ntus, but thanks for the offer.

Are we nearly there yet?

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
While we're on about fun things to play with...

....how about those tubes if latex you make bubbles with?

My poor kids didn't get much of a go when I bought some......

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
another multi-consistency thing is simply cornflour and water. When you keep it moving it gots solid and you can roll it into balls like playdough and if you stop rolling it it drips through your fingers like liquid. It's amazing But play with it over a bowel or it goes everywhere

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there's a cool word for substances like that: "anti-thixatropic". Means that they're usually liquid, but turn solid when you apply a force to it.
"Thixatropic" substances are usually fairly solid, but goes runny when you apply a force to it. Like ketchup.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
that simian isn't half clever

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Silly putty is great.

There is a product on the market which is basicly silly puddy but it is a bit better because it shares more properties with Oobleck which is the corn starch and water solution mentioned in this thread. Most importantly it comes in a nice big metal tin (adult sized serving)

https://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5ac8/default.asp

Im a total geek when it comes to thinkgeek.com I get excited everytime I remember to look to check for new products, they seriously have the coolest toys ever for adults who aren't afraid to be kids.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Astar, don't show me that. It just makes me want to spend money.

-Mike

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by plantgirlll:
While we're on about fun things to play with...

....how about those tubes if latex you make bubbles with?

My poor kids didn't get much of a go when I bought some......

plant me and my flate mate each go through a tube of this a week

we have bubble fight nearly every night

(but it dose look a little sus when it busts in your hair)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
me and my friend spend so much time in toy stors and $2 shops buying toys its not funny

me and my sister have water pistal fights any chance we get (she is 30 and im 24)

we have target practis with dart guns when the news is on

have a growing colection of silly teddybears (my fave 3 are this little teddy with a big head a fluro teddy and this fish with a goofy grin and big googly eyes (my friend say he looks evil but i dont so i love him any way))

toys are fun

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I've also seen that site with the huge tins of putty. Looks like a lot of fun. I'll have to pick some up eventually...

As far as toys go, it seems like yo-yos are on the way to slowly rising up to popular fad again in the public eye. Regardless, technology and tricks keep improving... now is as good a time as any to pick up some more high-tech toys.

Shawn

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Can't play with them but those little cardboard forests that grow crystals are pretty lush.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
i loved thos littel cristal forests
i remeber when i was 5 i had a smurf one

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
My friends & I were giving each other Smurf names last night! I'm Twirly Smurf, funnily enough.

When I was 5 my sister & I had a little Smurf house & little Smurf figurines.

How lush would a life size Crystal Smurf Forest be!!!!!!

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
The Smuft name generator:

https://www-personal.umich.edu/~mule/smurfgen.html

Shawn

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Disgruntled Smurf?!?!?!

monoxide442200member
24 posts

Posted:
plain and simple....TOYS KICKASS!!!!!!

You have smoked yourself retardedDave Chappelle HalfBaked

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
No no no monoxide, sometimes Toys Go Bad! They don't kick arse, they make one fall on it!

eg, those pesky litle pieces of Lego & their mates Knex just love to lay around the floor & stairs in the dark, waiting for bare-footed people to find them with the soles of their feet.

ouch!!!!!!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i smurfed my whole family today....

discoverd im insatiable smurf!
(i thought i'd be more like idiotic smurf, but hey.... )

Currently on the right side up of the world.

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
I saw some Silly Putty (tm) for sale in Lo-Cost in Rubery, South Birmingham. Mind you, that was probably 20 years or so ago.

How about a "fart tub" or equivalent? Toyz-Iz-We (or a similarly named shop) usually sell such fun-stuff, as long as they aren't unfashionable. However, 2 pieces of advice: Don't bother asking the staff, they won't know what your on about, especially if it's the Birmingham superstore, and don't try to buy a stick on the windscreen Garfield - he's out of fashion.

Also, save money on toys for children by giving them wrapping paper, sticks, string, broken cameras and lordnum (it worked for the Victorians). This frees up loads of cash for buying toys for yourself (have you seen the price of juggling clubs!!!)

Best toy I've seen in ages is a set of hexagonal magnets and ball bearings. They've put a plastic coating on the magnets now, which magic allows them now to sell a small set for £15 (approx US$22 or AUS$37). Brilliant fun all the same.

er... it's Sunday, and I'm Wittering (Cambs., UK)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm playing with some silly putty right now!

I found somewhere that sold a huge tub of it and it's lasted me for ages. It's a kind of wierd metallic green colour too which is pretty cool.

I got some sea monkeys not long ago, but they died for no apparent reason

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.