Forums > Social Chat > Oz travellers, tell me your stories

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Just a shout out to all the HoPpers who've recently gone on Australia tours. I'm planning to go next year and hopefully find some affordable vehicle to travel round in, so I've got tonnes of questions, like how did you travel, where did you stay, any nice places you won't find in the average travel guide that I absolutely have to go to, which HoPper makes the best breakfast... send me pms smile

(Have done a search and am busy extracting information already!!)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
West Australia - Kicks serious, SERIOUS ass.
It's beautiful...
Ningaloo reef and the Cape Range national park up by Exmouth were beautiful - the Cape-Leeuwin National Park(s) south of Perth were stunning too.

We camped up and down the West coast which was cool, then from Adelaide to Brisbane we hired a camper van which was ace, although got a little cold in the Snowie Mountains in winter...

Oh, I would say that you'll meet loads of Aussie who will try and dissuade you from going to Canberra as it's boring. Seriously, listen to them, they know what they're talking about...

(Sorry to any Canberra dwellers - not for insulting your lovely capital city, but sorry you have to live there wink )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't make the best breakfast, but if you haven't figured it out already I'm the one to go drinking with ubbrollsmile

Some useful points to note:

-There are various internet carpooling sites on offer. I've never used one, but I know some backpackers who swear by them. You tee up with a person who is already travelling to X and then pay (often a set price as determined by the site) the driver. And it's always cheaper than public transport.

-some *very* backpacker towns (like Airlie Beach) have notice boards with travel companions wanted for carpools and the like

-Some hostels will offer free accomodation for work. (I know one in Airlie Beach that offers accommodation for standing hand handing out flyers for a few hours every morning). And because of the nature of it, I am pretyt sure you wont need a visa for it.

-Theres a car/van rental that goes down the east coast and has offices in various cities along there and you can start and stop at any point of that company.

-https://www.gumtree.com.au the default is the Sydney site, but there's one for each capital city. just go check it out. very useful.

And my usual Australian recommendations: The Great Ocean Road (although there is now 1 less apostle), the Whitsunday Islands, The Grampians (and make sure you check out Victoria Valley nearby), and I think Victoria's High Country is quite pretty. Basically, I recommend you stay out of the big cities. In my honest opinion, Australia is the country. Get out and spend as much time in it as you can. Go and get a train ticket to *somewhere* and go on an adventure!

PM if you have any questions smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
We used these guys -https://www.wickedcampers.com.au/ - It was very cheap in the off season (considering you really need some form of car to get the most out of Oz IMHO and it's also your accomodation biggrin ) although it's not as immediately social as hostelling around...

Great Ocean Road was ace (as rougie mentioned), the Adelaide spins are WICKED, and you have to, HAVE to make a Moonfest in Brisbane (if they're running...), Flinders Ranges were nice, Grampians were nice (but very burnt) when we went...

Again, Rougie is right - Australia isn't really about the cities, apart from Sydney which is ace smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
I'll third the Great Ocean Road (one day I'll go back and do it on a big ol' hog motorbike biggrin) But if you're going to be in Adelaide on Easter Sunday try and get there during the day as the whole place seems to shut down after 5 o'clock! The Blue Mountains and rainforest around Sydney are pretty cool too.

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile We were in Adealaide around Easter too... really was spooky that the whole place becomes a ghost town over that weekend

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
considering the 2 jobs I'll have to fit the travelling between, and all the UK/European festivals I want to go to in summer, something like August to November sounds the most likely right now, but you never know... which is why I'm planning early, just in case I actually finish the PhD when I'm supposed to. (yeah right)

Thanks so far, lots of stuff to check out already biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Durbs - oh yeah! I forgot they got practically wiped out! ubblol Bush grows back quickly though, so it might be back by November.

Brisbane is likely to be dead on Easter as well. I haven't been there on Easter myself, but I have noticed that its dead on every public holiday as well as Sundays. I was SHOCKED not even Maccas (that would be McDonalds wink ) was open on Boxing Day! Boxing Day is the biggest shopping day of the year in Melbourne!

November ey? Melbourne Cup? ubbrollsmile

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
what's that in? Is it Aussie Rules? biggrin bounce

And just in case you were wondering why I'm planning so early, I had a bad case of "aaaaaaaaargh what am I going to do with my life after the PhD!!!!!" yesterday, so decided to stop thinking about possibilities and make plans instead!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The Melbourne Cup is the "Race that Stops the Nation"...ie horses. But it's a day of dressing up, notoriously bad weather, laughing at girls in skimpy dresses blowing up in the wind, champagne, and generally the experience again.

Aussie Rules grand final is in september. go find a pub thats viewing it and soak up the stmosphere!...actually, if you ARE around for footy season, i totally recommend going to a country town and going to a local match. Nothing beats country saturday morning footy! DEFINITELY Australian! (usually lots of punch ups as well! and mud!) Lol!!!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Horseracing? Ewwww boring. Though if it's a big event, the atmosphere's probably worth it smile And the champagne of course.

Jon, I guess it does!! I dyed my hair, too. I blame you. hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
no-one goes to the races to actually watch the races...gee, who'd do that! rolleyes

tongue

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
I've never been to the melbourne cup but they lie when they say it stops the nation..only place that stops is melbourne not even the rest of the state stops..anyway this is not really important..

oo and if you are here between august and november that would mean you are here in october which means you have to be in Adelaide for Common Ground *nods* smile

hug me!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yay smile will put "october, adelaide" in my diary bounce

So, potentially in Adelaide for October, Melbourne start of November, and then possibly over to NZ to meet up with some mad Irishpeople.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
you're in england, and it'll be pretty wintery by then, won't it?

A word of warning - November in australia is hot. Damned hot. You (may) remember when there was that really blistering hot day(s) where the roads melted, the power grid crapped itself and old people died? (i don't know how much of that was exaggerated, but i know there was some ill effects)

We get those sorts of temperatures for anything up to weeks at a time. right now, it's half ten at night, the sun's gone down about an hour ago, and it's still damn near 30 degrees c. it peaked at 36 this afternoon, and we've only just left spring.

Melbourne cup is the first tuesday in november, and while the whole country doesn't stop for the whole day, you won't find many people doing much when the big race starts... Except drinking. copiously ubblol

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: monserat

But if you're going to be in Adelaide on Easter Sunday try and get there during the day as the whole place seems to shut down after 5 o'clock!

nope, that's adelaide pretty well everyday of the year! elthough if you can be there during fringe festival there is the Garden of Unearthly Delights which rocks well into the early hours.

and i don't know about avoiding the cities - melbourne is an awesome city - most of the inner city suburbs like st kilda and fitzroy/carlton/brunswick are definitly worth it. and brisbane is cool because it's full of great people!

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
 Written by: tillymoo

nope, that's adelaide pretty well everyday of the year!

really?? well I was only there for the grand total of about 14 hours. Had been told it's quite a religious city but even on Easter Sunday I wasn't expecting to have to walk around for 2 hours looking for somewhere I could get something to eat, ended up at Hungry Jack's! ubblol

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hungry jacks = Burger King ( umm )

Australia = ubblove

Me = frown

(from a Jonny who misses you all very much hug2 )

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yay! I will have data to analyse on Thursday, so that means 1.5 more days of planning my trip ubblol

MiG, thanks for the warning smile I'm originally from Germany, and while we don't have Australian summers we do have hotter ones than them Brits do! So I figure if I leave the UK/Europe in August after enjoying the festival season, I'll arrive to a cool but warming up Australia, so hopefully my body should adjust.

Tillymoo, I'll pay some of the cities a visit, definitely. Melbourne to visit a friend, Perth for potential work-related reasons, Brisbane cause Eveish said I should, and now it seems Adelaide's on the list, too. Well, hmmmm, I can still leave out Canberra to stay at least clear of *one* city!

And Jon, don't strop! You get to go to Vancouver for Christmas, and to Japan next year, remember? tongue

And my hair's quite brightly red, "radiant ruby red" I think. Not 100% sure it fits the corporate setting, but it certainly fits me biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
*gives up on trying to convince anyone to come to tassie* frown

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Brisbane cause Eveish said I should

you'd better... *wags finger in stern manner*

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
*pout*
Why does travelling to the other side of the world have to be so *%&@#$ ^!(&?$> expensive!!!

*throws hissy fit* I wanna go...wanna go...wanna go!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
contrary to what everyone else has said I reckon part of australia is definatly visiting the citys.. each has their own vibe here...
Brissie is laid back and relaxed.. people generally are too hot to bother with any thing too much, melbourne is the arty farty capital of aussie, gorgeous art and theatre and SHOPPING out the wazoo,
Sydney is hustle and bustle all over the place,just busy people everywhere driving like crazed maniacs wink adelaide is just stunning in my opinion... such a lovely city..
never been to the west sideeeed so i dunno what they are like but Gnor lives there so it must be pretty good. I remember Dev Kev saying it was the most beautiful part of the country...

best brekkie maker? Ohh that'll be a toughie... Jon said I made pretty good bacon and egg sammies.... I reckon Pixie makes an awesome pancake (as long as I dont help make the mixture) ubblol Flynty makes a delicatble cuppa tea, Miss Lou makes a to die for honey jumble if your into sweets for brekkie... hug

plus if you wanna do the touristy thingo you cant go past brissie and the theme parks (jon and arsn spent the day at wet n wild) and the gold coast and also byron bay in the NSW....

yeah... plus all the pretty countryside in between ya cant go wrong...

As for NZ if you like arty farty, get ye butt to wellington its the capital and is full of art and goodies... queenstown which is the adventure capital of NZ, and the HOME of home of poi in christchurch, I have heard rave revues...

hug hug

hope you get to stay with us! hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Australia = ubblove

Me = frown

(from a Jonny who misses you all very much hug2 )

Australia = frown since UCOF said bye

wink

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
dont go to dodgy used car salesmen to buy a transportation machine....we were totally swindled in adelaide and ended up staying christmas and new year in a tiiiny little village....which actually ended up being totally amazing, the folk there were really hospitable.. hmm was about to say DO go to dodgy salesmen to get a taste of real aussie hospitality, but i suppose if youre going to be in aussie HoPpers comapny theres no need for the aggro of a useless car!

man im desperate to see everything i havent seen yet...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Oi you
Canberra is not that bad you just have to know where to look beacuse every thing is not in the middle like a normal city.

There are lots of circus and spinner type people here.
Plus it's like going to a small town and a big city at the same time.
and I live here so it must be good ubbloco

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
*pouts*

see? when i say i give up at convincing anyone to come, everyone ignores what i said! you're all just jealous cause the mainland doesnt come close to tassie. even today tonight agrees that hobart is the best place to live in australia tongue

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Mr Majestik, you can always *try* and convince me why I should come to Tassie. I won't say I will or won't yet, because it's months and months to go and I have no clue about most things I want to see!

Pogo: Make sure you take an hour or so off your 22-h-working day for when I visit!

Valura: Would love to stay with you and meet you, Arsn and the little un! Bacon and egg sounds like a plan wink

And as for transport, given that I don't have anyone to share a rented car with, I guess buying a cheapish one and re-selling it (or doing the carshare thing) is the only option I can afford.

Gotta look into the driving licence thing, too... this will be my first ever properly planned holiday!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
*wiggles*

YAY!

bacon and eggs it is then! ubblol ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
As long as you don't make me eat that pesky vegemite. Or marmite at that. ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
mmm, vegemite ubblove

*hugs Valura for feeding him vegemite on toast*

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Page: