Forums > Social Chat > australia's favourite album

Login/Join to Participate

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
watchers of abc television and listeners of tripple j have voted for their favourite album of all time.

they were:

1. Pink Floyd — Dark Side Of The Moon

2. Jeff Buckley — Grace

3. Radiohead — Ok Computer

4. The Beatles — Abbey Road

5. The Beatles — Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

6. Nirvana — Nevermind

7. Led Zeppelin — Led Zeppelin 4

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers — Blood Sugar Sex Magik

9. Meat Loaf — Bat Out Of Hell

10. U2 — The Joshua Tree

(for a list of australia's tope 100 albums)

what do you reckon? what's your favourite album of all time?

mine came in at 31 - graceland by paul simon (thanks god it beat anthony callea - second place getter in australian idol) but i have to say i am shocked that bob dylan didn't make the top 20, and i am a little disapointed that no australian albums made the top 20. there are some classics on there - i had forgotten how much i loved blood suger sex magik as a 15 year old

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
the top 10 doesnt surprise me as songs that would have ranked highly, except for radiohead. didnt think theyd be up there. im surprised bob dylan didnt either!

i never like these "top 100" things anyways. altho generally i think the acb have done pretty good ones. but these things are restricted to voters and who voters remember. the Easybeats didn't make it there. absolute classics, but so old most people dont remember them to even bother.

there are some great artists/albums there though. I just think a lot of old stuff is really too forgotten.

like, Blonde on Blonde only made the top 55! But that's widely regarded to be one of dylans best. and the one that made it highest of his was when he was starting to actually lose his fanbase (Around that time, Arlo Guthrie was billed against Bob Dylan...but Dylan played his new stuff, while Guthrie advertised not only HIS old stuff, but DYLAN'S TOO. guess who sold out that night)

sorry, i'm so ranting here, but i really dont like these ranking things.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Im not a big fan of the floyd, but i can see why it won.
Jeff and Led Zeppelin deserve to be there. In fact im listening to Black Dog right now smile

Im glad The chilli's got into the ten even though BSSM wasnt my fav album of theirs.

The biggest suprise for me is that The Rolling Stones almost missed it completely!! Only 95 with sticky fingers!?!?!! WTF???

My Fav album got 38, Wolfmother, which i am very proud of smile

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
overall, I`m pretty happy with that list... while it`s not a 100 I would have chosen and certainly not the same order (although I`m loathe to rank my musical interests at all), I think we did alright...

there`s a lot of really good music in there, with only a few token entries from the *shudder* anthony calea and delta goodrem`s... even had the pixies in the top 30, would never have expected that...!!

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
I reckon there was some foul play going on for calea, mayb a campaign for him or something.... (mate of mine did one for some random CD, didnt make the 100 but it did get a mention from Allan Brough. cant remember the name but it was blah blah blah Volume two when he said it...)

Also it seems like the list is predominantly rock (not that i mind). Also there was only 5 (i think) women in it, and thats counting twice for ABBA.

It doesn't seem that accurate but its a dam good list all the same.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Hmm nice to see portishead on there but wouldnt mind them being a bit higher. Same goes for dire straits

Was suprised Rubber soul ranks so low compared to other beatles albums, personally i consider it to be better than alot of their other albums

Interesting list though

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
i think probably the age of alot of the people that could actually be bothered voting is apparent in the list, due to alot of stuff in there being fairly recent. although i'm glad to see the classics in there, even if i don't like them...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PyroMonkey

I reckon there was some foul play going on for calea, mayb a campaign for him or something.... (mate of mine did one for some random CD, didnt make the 100 but it did get a mention from Allan Brough. cant remember the name but it was blah blah blah Volume two when he said it...)

was that shpongle? he used that as an example and pronounced it sh-pongle, which was kinda amusing if a bit odd confused

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
ubblol I chuckled at that too, tilly...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Yeah something like that, its too obscure for me to remember...

I fell over giggling when i heard it