Forums > Social Discussion > sponsership good/bad? experiances and views wanted

Login/Join to Participate

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
I am currently looking into the thought of sponsership to help with my performing career. Alhough i have had some experiance with getting sponserships in the past it wasn't for performing so have no back ground knowledge on how well it works.

so after lots and lots of web searching i decided to ask fellow HOPpers biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well...what is your goal with it? That determines the experience I've had with it.

Are you putting together a production?
Looking for a string of steady gigs?
Or just looking for someone to suppliment your income while you wear their t-shirt while you busk in front of their store wearing their t-shirt?
Or are you looking for someone to help pay tuition into a performance program for you to attend?

There are a tonne of ways that sponsorship can go, and I have alot of experiences with it, but would like to know your goals so I can avoid babbling your eyes out! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Well i am trying to set myself up as a performer, string of gigs etc but also help with funding.

babble away *sets eyes in stone to avoid them falling out* ubblol hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sponsorship for what?

Are you looking at getting poi-suppliers sponsoring you? Or clothing manufacturers? Or er...what? smile

The trouble is I guess, for equipment, aside from Aerotechs (who are very hard to get sponsored by...) most fire props look the same and so people won't look at you and go "Ooooh, she's using BrandX poi - i'll get some of them".
As for clothes, it depends on what you're wearing but again - unless you want to have names emblazoned across you, there's not much in the way of obvious product placement for them...

Arts funding on the other hand can be easy, can be hard - depending on where you live... Usually lots of bureaucratic forms and the like - it all depends on how you sell it to them smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
at the minute I am thinking about asking the local up and coming gig venue/club/pub. they have been getting loads of really great bands etc and I do spin for them on the odd occasion. they are always after different ways of advertising themselves as they are also really geared towards up and coming bands. Its all still in he thought process but was after ideas before I put together any proposals. I would really like to promote local business but there are limited, especially clothes stores we don't have a single alternative type shop in town at all frown (although I make all my own gear)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah, so not so much being sponsored, as getting regular promotion work for a venue?

Mmmkay - Well, we used to do something similair, working with the flyer-ing teams as attention grabbers.

Not great money (as clubs round our way are REALLY tight fisted) but regular and good exposure...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
yup i thought i would be good for them as i do alot of 'gig's' at different festivals where there are loads of bands etc

i wouldn't know who else localy would be up for sponsership, i did think about places that sell toys but like you said not many people know what toys are what. (and after the trouble with my Aerotechs i wouldn't promote them but thats a whole different rant)