Forums > Social Discussion > Repetitive Strain Injury - RSI

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
Hi y'all

Reacently, I think I'm on my way to the wonderful thing know as RSI. As a Musician, this is, well, totally not what I need right now frown. I've made a few searches but nothing came up. I was wondering if anyone knew how to treat this sort of thing, excersises etc etc. I've just bought a Powerball (my friend has one and apparently they really help). So, yeah. Its in my right wrist, I broke it many a year back so mabye thats partly the cause aswell?

Cheers hug

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to get it back on topic

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I don't see it as off topic?...

NHS trying to fix a case of CTS...

I see it as relevant to any other person in the UK suffering the same.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
wow... maybe I'm coming from a cynical "science and evidence based" background... but 'neck alignment' by chiropractors in young healthy females is can cause burst brain anuerysm.

My gen med consultant yelled at me for even mentioning chiropractors as a treatment for back sprain etc. His experience is that if you need a massage, you may go to a chiropractor, but if something is actually medically wrong with you, you need to see a doctor. This view has been backed up by two of my other consultants.

And I'm sure lots of people have good chiropractic stories, and there are many many excellent chiropractors out there.

But not all medical problems come from 'spine subluxation'

Re tingling f skin.. It depends where the distribution etc is.. and wasting of specific muscle.. There are three nerves that supply the skin and the muscles of your hand. Ulnar, median and Radial.
The median nerve is the one that goes through the carpal tunnel, along with other stuff.

https://www.fpnotebook.com/NeuroMedianNerve.jpg
This is the distribution of the median nerve. So if it's your fingers tingling, might be median nerve.. but someone here said palm and bottom of thumb? Usually the nerve that innervates this area, although still median, it branches off the nerve above the tunnel. (although there is alway anatomical variance)

Ok, I'll stop being med like now and contnue studying for exams.. *sigh*

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
 Written by: natasqi

wow... maybe I'm coming from a cynical "science and evidence based" background... but 'neck alignment' by chiropractors in young healthy females is can cause burst brain anuerysm.

My gen med consultant yelled at me for even mentioning chiropractors as a treatment for back sprain etc. His experience is that if you need a massage, you may go to a chiropractor, but if something is actually medically wrong with you, you need to see a doctor. This view has been backed up by two of my other consultants.

That would be great except, despite going to the doctor several times all they would do is prescribe me painkillers (which I don't want to take) and tell me to try to sit up straight. Even though Doctors have said that I clearly have a back problem, getting treatment is neigh impossible because I am so young and a non-urgent case. I.e. I can't get treatment until it is too late, unless I pay for it myself.

As for neck adjustment causing burst brain aneurysm, that is possibly the most unfounded reactionary thing I have heard about chiropractic treatment. 5 minutes research on the web will tell you that this is not the case. It is true that chiropractice is an alternative therapy, who's benifits have not yet been proven, however, it is growing with respect from the general medical community, many doctors even recommend patients to go to a chiropractor.

Personally, I've found it very benificial, even if thats just due to the specific stretching and strengthening exercises my chiropractor has given me. I personally, have definately noticed improvements in my posture after sessions, and this has been commented on.

I'm generally very skeptic about alternative treatments. For instance, I tried acupuncture once, and found it did absolutely nothing for me. However, I can only go from my own experience when I say that since starting going to my chiropractor, not once have I had the sort of back pain that I used to.

Also if you read any of the previous posts, you would realise that nobody is saying that everything is caused by "spine subluxation", simply that this can be the cause of some problems.

But of course, this isn't from a "cynical "science and evidence based" background" so therefore, none of what I say is grounded in experience or genuine research.
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1192379981)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

As for neck adjustment causing burst brain aneurysm, that is possibly the most unfounded reactionary thing I have heard about chiropractic treatment. 5 minutes research on the web will tell you that this is not the case.

If by "unfounded reactionary thing" you mean has been written about in numerous medical journals which you can find by using Google Scholar in five minutes, I agree with you!

Stroke following chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine, Journal of Neurology

Extracranial internal carotid artery aneurysm presenting as symptomatic hypoglossal and glossopharyngeal nerve paralysis (after chiropractic) Journal of Laryngology & Otology

Stroke after chiropractic manipulation as a result of extracranial postero-inferior cerebellar artery dissection. Journal of Manipulative Physiotherapy

Chiropractic Manipulation Induced Dissection and Subsequent Aneurysm Formation of the Internal Carotid Artery, Or, If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It, Journal of Science and Healing

Need links?

Is it a common complication? NO
Is it possible? YES
Are patients informed of this possibility before starting treatment? NO

Written by:

Also if you read any of the previous posts, you would realise that nobody is saying that everything is caused by "spine subluxation", simply that this can be the cause of some problems.

No they're not... I didn't say that.
It's just thats the basic of chiropractic...

And I'm very glad that you're happy with your chiropractor.

Written by:

I can't get treatment until it is too late, unless I pay for it myself.

This may be off topic but, isn't that what you usually do when you want something? Pay for it?

I find this really weird... so many people insure houses and cars, but don't get health insurance...

Ok, back to studying...

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:

Written by: ] I can't get treatment until it is too late, unless I pay for it myself. [/quote

This may be off topic but, isn't that what you usually do when you want something? Pay for it?

I find this really weird... so many people insure houses and cars, but don't get health insurance...

Ok, back to studying...

We DO pay for the NHS - in tax. And it's always supposed to have been for everybody, but especially for the poor and disadvantaged (eg students). Personally, I would happily pay higher taxes (I'm fortunate enough to be in a high income bracket) for both health and education (even tho' I have no children) but that's seen as political suicide. soapbox offtopic Sorry.

hughughug to all you sufferers

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

Written by: ]

[quote:

I can't get treatment until it is too late, unless I pay for it myself.

quick FYI - we have the NHS ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS ) which provides free treatment for everyone, in theory. as pointed out by wild child we pay for it by taxation, not direct payment, unless its something particular (and i'm not sure what is). but its much slower than private health insurance and treatment.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
More off-topicness for Natasqi...

Stuff like glasses often doesn't go 100% on the NHS. Also prescriptions, unless you get them free, like you're a child, chronically ill, pregnant or a senior citizen I think, incur a surcharge.

The problem with private (additional) insurance is that it's a. expensive and b. often doesn't cover everything. They mostly have policies saying that any state to do with existing illnesses at the time the policy's made won't be covered.

In my case that'd mean paying a LOT extra for extra private insurance because I already am sick. However, since many diseases occur more often in connection with diabetes (including repetitive strain of course) there's a chance the insurance could refuse to cover a lot of treatments. Which, of course, would have been kind of the point of getting an extra insurance for problems that may arise later.

A friend had an extra private insurance, but he'd been depressed previously. When he got epilepsy, he tried that insurance to speed up seeing a neurologist (it took about 5 months or so of passing out on a nearly daily basis, including on the streets and in supermarkets). However they said they wouldn't cover it because he had had a "previous neurological condition".

So private insurance is good if you're really healthy because then it's cheaper and they know you'll need it less so will give you more leeway. Grrrr....

One of the things the NHS suffers from of course is that people live longer, there are more pensioners who need more care but pay less taxes, so unless as Wild Child says the people who DO earn money are willing to pay, those who can't pay more than they already do are those who usually need the services the most, but again, joining a private insurance is expensive if you're old, and spending your life savings on an artificial hip not knowing if the kidneys or a cataract operation won't come up next in another 3 years time is a bit risque.

(by the way, I know it's not that dramatic for everyone of course)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
*nods*
Thanks for all the info guys!

I guess Australia is mostly like this... We have Medicare (who we go to to get money back from our health things) and the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefit scheme) which discounts prescriptions.

And we have the long waiting lists... Mostly for elective hernias and orthopaedic ops.

I was connected to a renal and liver transplant team... and any ops they did (not necessarily transplants) didn't have to wait for than 4 months. Mostly because my two consultants were a) head of surgery and b) head of transplants. so what they say, goes.
"I need a bed for a patient"
"The hospital is full, no beds today"
"This is for Mr X"
"Oh, yes, ok, ummm, I'll find one for you"

Waiting lists are usually due to overcrowding in the hospitals, which makes them close down surgical beds... i.e. only 10 surgical beds available (which means if you have one day surgery, you're fine.. but if you need to stay in hospital for a week... no surgery for you!)
And overcrowding is caused by...
Bad health prevention (i.e. all the elderly who bombard my hospital in winter because they didn't get the flu vaccine grrr)
Not enough beds (but usualy not enoug staff to cover the beds) and that comes from not paying nurses enough.
(and many more things... smile

I was lucky enough to be on this team just in time for winter... and the hospital in summer has... probably 20 surgical beds (i.e. they can do twenty surgeries a day, which works out, to be 2/OR)
and usualy in winter they bring it own to ~15...
but they brought it down to 12... then 8 for some weeks!!!!
Which means some ORs aren't being used at all... and some surgeons then don't operate that week.
There was a LOT of kerfuffle. It was fun seeing that side of the hospital.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

I was connected to a renal and liver transplant team... and any ops they did (not necessarily transplants) didn't have to wait for than 4 months. Mostly because my two consultants were a) head of surgery and b) head of transplants. so what they say, goes.
"I need a bed for a patient"
"The hospital is full, no beds today"
"This is for Mr X"
"Oh, yes, ok, ummm, I'll find one for you"

eek

that's shocking.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Bumpybump...

The clinic I attended has now been taken over by a seemingly more competent lady who is doing weekend consultancies to shorten the waiting list (!). So, I went there a few weeks ago, and I'll have my operation tomorrow. She squeezed me in the schedule because of all the fcku-ups and the long waiting time.

So keep your fingers crossed for me please, I'll let you know how it goes.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
good luck and a safe, quick recovery for you. Ill keep my fingers good and crossed for you. Heck my whole wrists will be crossed, just for good measure.

Hmm, since my wrists are crossed, maybe Ill just do a little 5bt here. Ooh, wait..crossers...

...umm..did I get distracted?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I think it'll be a while before I'm up for 5 bt weaves again, but so far things seem to be going alright. I managed to hold a fork yesterday, and can button up my trousers again (it's the little things that make Birgits happy...). The pain was horrible the first 2 days, and the painkillers (codeine...) only made me dizzy and sleepy, but then getting some sleep probably wasn't the worst thing anyway, at least it kept me from being annoyed at all the nice things I couldn't do.
The new lady seems to be running the clinic very well, I was impressed with most things except giving me a "hold down top while you unscrew" bottle of painkillers when I could only use one hand, but I'll suggest to them to change that for people who don't have young children to worry about.
Oh, and the nicest thing was, some of the lads they had for pushing the beds to the theatres had Down syndrome. I thought it was the best ever job I've seen Down people work in - responsible, doing good, uses all their talents (like being very cheerful and physically able and well able to read the patients' names), but if something happens they're not left on their own to deal with it. smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: