Forums > Help! > Internet Explorer 7

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm .. been trying to patch IE7 ... if your a geek then you will understand why im doing that!....

but i cant do it... confused any one know where i can find out how with the latest version?

PM me wink

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
hiss dont trust/use microsoft full stop use firefox insted

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
And use what? .. im running XP Pro...

wouldn't touch a mac if my Ipod is any thing to go by rolleyes

I have firefox rolleyes it's poo and its a nightmare for a webdesigner to make sure every thing works correctly in firefox.
Which is where my point is with IE.. IE7 is an update the next gen of IE with tabed and all that new stuff.... i need to run that for testing sites... but my XP well you know is not *** (missing text), the beta versions were installable but the final release well you know microsoft wink ... they do like to make things difficult... and install things on your PC with out telling you.

So rather than telling me to use some thing else... it serves a purpose and for me it is my prefered browser.

Much in need of assistance with this one because all i can find is info for the beta.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
To reach as big a market as possible, iPods were designed for the kind of people who have difficulty operating anything more complicated than a flush toilet. To achieve this they were designed by the kind of people who have difficulty operating anything more complicated than a flush toilet.

But is a dumb first time computer buyer going to go for Windows or MacOS?

What about someone fresh off a media degree?

I know where you're coming from. I used to do a lot of complex stuff in javascript, when there was just IE and Mozilla. Most of the time I made 2 seperate sites. IE6 and Firefox let me put things into one package, the newer versions of Firefox have broken the animation parts of my toolkit, and I gave up because it's too much work trying to get things to run on IE, FF, Opera, Safari, Konqueror etc. Flash looks the same on everything, so that's where I'm going.

google for "browser usage statistics" to see if it's worth the effort trying to get IE7 up and running yet. By the time it's widely used it should be "available".

I used to hate Macs. I used to use IE only. Then I took the time to check out the alternatives properly.

If I get back into conventional (non flash) web design I may even have to install IE7 on my MacBook.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yes, we have much fun with IE 7 at work, it's usage is going up daily, probably thanks to microsoft's 'force feed' update feature. Lovely name. Reminiscent of the eating habits of mental patients and toddlers.

So we have to support most browsers, from safari, opera, IE567, netscape 4+ firefox etc. Our websites broke with IE 7 because it actually complies with a few more standards. So now we have a fix for IE 6 and a condition to let IE 7 use the same code as everything else. ubblol

But to upgrade to IE7 you have to 'validate' your windows installation, and do all the updates you need to before hand. So afterwards your forced to have 'force fed' updates after that. Can't say I'll be doing that on my home computer.

Gotta say I love firefox thou. I'm happy to surf around unsafe websites. When I reopen the browser all the tabs that were up when I closed it reload. I can undo closing a tab when I've been a retard. And it's got swanky web developer extensions that help me develop and correct websites. ubblove

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Have they stopped the .local file trick working?

https://labs.insert-title.com/labs/Multiple-IEs-in-Windows_article795.aspx

Anyone got IE working in any good way under linux?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I've got the greasemonkey and platypus extensions. Now I can redesign everyone elses sites (highly necessary with some myspace users).

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well ie7 is working .. smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
you don't have to agree to let it download updates when you install ie7, and if you do it just downloads any current ones, it certainly didn't put WGA on my machine, but that could be because I'd already refused to let autoupdate install that and told it not to ask me again.

It doesn't alter your previous auto update settings, so your not forced to download anything later on either.

the validation on install is a one time necessity.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
and you've got it backwards, it's a dream to design for firefox, it's a nightmare to then have to patch up for sodding IE! (7 isn't quite so bad), and that is definitely the sensible way round of doing it.

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

use firefox insted

ditto

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Yakumo

and you've got it backwards, it's a dream to design for firefox, it's a nightmare to then have to patch up for sodding IE! (7 isn't quite so bad), and that is definitely the sensible way round of doing it.

This is the clash!

say 1 person designs in firefox... they have to patch for IE

another person designs in IE and has to faff around modding for firefox

conclussion... rolleyes unneccessary problems.. for both parties.

i'm not a pro webdesigner.. i dont wish to be, i would only like that my website works on all browsers and displays correctly. wink

IMHO all browsers should display the same but they dont.

In the end, im running IE7, without the WGA... as my windows is erm well you know wink one of those ones.
IE7 the final realease is automatically updated if you use the win update.. but still contains the WGA.. that was my problem, plus the fact that win update had put WGA on my system, but that was easilly removed wink
Media player 11 was simple to remove WGA.. but IE7... every thing that i tried didn't work...

A beat version for testing purposes is adequate for my use, on a whole i have had not one problem using the beta version, im quite impressed so far.

But as for windows they are trying to make things a lot more difficult!... rolleyes

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
But the point is that firefox, safari et al all support far more standards than IE does - so you should test with them, get it working great (if it's working on firefox, it'll normally work on everything else but IE) and then hack it up until it works on IE.

Conditional commenting is the base way to do this - then you can have differnt CSS for each IE from 5.5 to 7. smile

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
w3.org (the WWW Consortium) has the specifications for things like HTML, CSS and XML.

The big companies that provide web software agree on, and try to stick to these specifications to make the web operate more effectively, and make it so designers only have to learn on spec.

Even though Microsoft is a member of the consortium, and has contributed to these specs, they frequently go off and do their own thing, like every other company is just going to fail due to competition/be bought out by M$, so the official version doesn't matter, and the M$ version will take over.

MS being as big as it is, it should have enough say with the W3C, without having to resort to acting like a spoilt child, and doing what it wants outside of the system, until the W3C is forced to include MS's changes at a later date, which usually ends up making the specs more comlex than they need to be.

10 years ago I got on the internet and started web design, at the same time I learnt a lot of the history of computing and the web, and how it was pretty much all centered around MIT, Berkely and Caltech colleges in the US. These places developed what could be considered best practices for developing computers and software that are efficient, and easy to maintain and improve upon.

All this can be summed up in Eric S. Raymond's book "The Art of UNIX Programming", which covers this design philosophy rather well.

This philosophy is behind both UNIX and Linux, and if you need any proof that it is worth following, you only need to look at Yahoo and Google, two of the biggest internet companies there are, who both use UNIX based computer networks to run their sites.

The majority of professional web designers I know use Linux or Mac OSX (which is based on UNIX), and they all speak highly of browsers other then IE.

The other browsers are miles ahead of what IE is capable of, and IE7 is just IE6 with a lot of ideas copied from these other, free browsers.

I get the impression that MS' programmers are nowhere near the standard of the people who donate their own time towards projects like Firefox, as IE before version 7 hasn't been able to do even simple things like support transparency in .PNG images, which pretty much every web designer would consider an important feature.

Instead every major new feature in IE7; Tabbed browsing, Community developed extensions, RSS feeds, PNG transparency, have been available in the competition for several years before MS decided to include them.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
PK, you're out of wack on this one.
I can't believe that you're not totally into firefox
its a dream

www.getfirefox.com

get firefox 2
And install these add ins)
Addblock plus (remember how the web used to look! - no adverts)
Stumble upon (there goes your life:)
British english dictionary (built in spell checker)
Foxlingo (translate toolbar)
Web developer toolbar (for coders only)
and Noscript (Disables javascript - for when you're in the dark corners of the web)

MOM visitors stats this month:
IE6 29%
Firefox 2 20%
Firefox 1.5 17%
IE7 5%
Unknown 20%

Our total for ff is 40% higher than IE at 33%
Real manipulators use Firefox biggrin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Glåss

On this note.... ok so not only looking at IE.. but with regards to other new microsoft programs...

So when i got internet at home last month... having no connection for a year and a half... the NET changes daily.. so a year and a half rolleyes went to sign in on my hotmail and it said oh wanna be part of windows live mail... so i said yes and they upped my account limit to 2gb.. very nice i thought.
After that i was looking around for other programs and found that they were beta testing for the windows live mail desktop version. So i signed up and downloaded it... ok i really like it, but it just seems that Microsoft are putting Advertisments in every thing these days... its like my PC has gone from nice and clean to Yellow Pages... confused Windows live mail, and messenger... practically every thing now is full of Adds for this or that... i jsut find it annoying that with a 1280 1024 res one third of my screen is adverts!... and thats the program not a website.. ok slight exageration but.. where will this end?.

OK so stats prove that FF is the biz here, i have it already as i was redesigning pip with out a net connection to make sure that every thing was working.

British English Dictionary... does that include words that even NYC wouldn't even know about? wink

1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Glåss

PK, you're out of wack on this one.
I can't believe that you're not totally into firefox
its a dream

www.getfirefox.com

get firefox 2
And install these add ins)
Stumble upon (there goes your life:)
British english dictionary (built in spell checker)
Foxlingo (translate toolbar)
Web developer toolbar (for coders only)
and Noscript (Disables javascript - for when you're in the dark corners of the web)

MOM visitors stats this month:
IE6 29%
Firefox 2 20%
Firefox 1.5 17%
IE7 5%
Unknown 20%

Our total for ff is 40% higher than IE at 33%
Real manipulators use Firefox biggrin

Got them bounce

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thanks for the add-ons drew... fox lingo will be awesome for the missus.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Can Adblock Plus use the Filterset.G updater extension?

I use the original adblock, because with the extra extension it automatically gets updates of advertising sources.

Get CustomizeGoogle too, and you can start blocking out pages from sites like Pricerunner, Ciao, Dealtime and all those sites that just want to sell you something, instead of giving you info on it. These are my filters:

Code:

https://*.dealtime.*/*

https://*.kelkoo.*/*

https://*.ebay.*/*

https://*.amazon.com/*

https://*.shopping.com/*

https://*.shopbot.*/*

https://*.unbeatable.co.uk/*

https://*.pricegrabber.*/*

https://shopping.lycos.*/*

https://*.pricerunner.*/*

https://*.bizrate.*/*

https://*.dooyoo.*/*

https://*.ciao.*/*

https://*.cheapshopprice.me.uk/*

Linkification turns any URL in a page that is just text and not a proper link into a proper link. (saves copy and paste)

All-In-One Sidebar is where I put my History, Bookmarks, Downloads and Extensions buttons, as I like menus I can hide, and use the keyboard shortcuts enough that I don't need to clutter the interface with lots of big buttons.

View Source Chart is also good for web designers, as it lets you see a pages source code in a nicely indented, color coded way, so you can spot problems with nesting.

If you want a messenger program that doesn't take up much screen space try Miranda. It can be set so all you see is the title bar, a row of icons and the names of the people online. It also works with every messenger program out there, and has lots of extensions.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

i just find it annoying that with a 1280 1024 res one third of my screen is adverts!... and thats the program not a website.. ok slight exageration but.. where will this end?.

Electronic Arts are testing out a new way to force us to see even more adverts in online gaming. In Battlefield 2142 there are billboards that could be used by real world advertisers, and the game sends data back to EA on how well placed these billboards are for viewing and maximum exposure, ready for when they use them for real.

It's bad enough that the game is spyware, it's worse that it's going to lead to levels in games having advertising, and the level design being affected so that billboard placement will affect the focus on gameplay based level design.

In F.E.A.R. all the office buildings you walk through have Dell XPS computers, as that is the form of product placement used in that game (you do get to shoot the **** out of them though).

I spend far too much of my time playing games. After playing Battlefield 2 all night, then groggily waking up after 2 hours of sleep, I came out of my room, the cat on the landing saw me and rolled over, expecting a belly rub, and I teabagged her.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
polarity: IE 6 supports 8bit png transparency - so for icons and smaller graphics it's fine. Full 32bit transparency will be nice to use, in 10 years when you can use it without non-supporting browsers freeking out wink

I'd add the Web Developer toolbar and greasmonkey to the extentions list - they rock!

In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter what browser you use. If they all supported all the standards in the same way then web designers would be able to create solid nice designs in half the time they do at the moment. The software you use shouldn't matter in any area if computing (you use word, I use open office, I use gaim you use msn etc).

The only way that can work is with standards, and for as long as MS and others don't support them fully, it harms everyone who uses computers.

Microsoft aren't the only ones to break standards - firefox does it with it's _moz styles. Sometimes this has been a way to fast track the feature in to the next version of the standard and it actually helps everyone - this includes Firefox, Apple, Microsoft.

1,590 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

https://*.cheapshopprice.me.uk/*

ubblol did you just make that up or is that for real?

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I was using PNGs in IE6, but the support was typically 'broken' and needed a whole load of extra code to work properly, and not just make everything transparent appear grey (alpha blending ActiveX filters), this was made worse by the fact plain images worked differently from ones used as table/div/span/layer backgrounds.

It's a fair bit of code, and needs classes adding to every PNG using element in the page.

Code:
// fix for IE to allow alpha transpareny in PNG images

//

// Seperate parts for images and backgrounds

//

// items that need transparency must have their css class set to "tr"

//

// just include a link to this file in the headers to automatically fix all images with their class set

function pngAlpha() {

fixIEPNGBG();

for (q=0; q

fixIEPNG(document.images[q]);

}

}

function fixIEPNG(o) {

if (navigator.appName != "Netscape" && o.src.indexOf("png") != -1) {

if (o.className == "tr") {

o.style.filter="progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='"+o.src+"')";

o.src="/images/blank.gif";

}

}

}

function fixIEPNGBG(){

var rslt = navigator.appVersion.match(/MSIE (\d+\.\d+)/, '');

var itsAllGood = (rslt != null && Number(rslt[1]) >= 5.5);

for (i=0; i

if (document.all.className == "tr") {

var bg = document.all.currentStyle.backgroundImage;

if (itsAllGood && bg){

if (bg.match(/\.png/i) != null){

var mypng = bg.substring(5,bg.length-2);

document.all.style.filter = "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='"+mypng+"', sizingMethod='scale')";

document.all.style.backgroundImage = "url('/images/blank.gif')";

}

}

}

}

}

if (navigator.appName != "Netscape" ) {

window.attachEvent("onload", pngAlpha);

}

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
plus does work with f.g updater, but I just went to check up on what the adblock plus / vanilla differences were and found this FAQ entry on it not recommending it, they beleive it's better to use their inbuilt system instead.

undecided if I want to uninstall f.g.u though, it may be an out of date warning.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ok so im thinking of why i was looking at IE7 rather than others...

right now i share my PC smile ..

My OS is in English... i am english...

the missus is Italian.. her English is poo..

however her knowledge of using a PC is good.. so she can work out minor technicalities with windows and or IE and other programs that she uses that i have installed.

OS is in English .. cos it makes my life more easy keeping my system clean etc.

Basically my PC needs to be IDIOT PROOF!.. and with a few links on this thread im getting there.

So with FF2, i can add the add-ons etc and hide them for my use... then costomise the side bar for IDIOT PROOF.. so as for when for example the in laws want to look on the net for some thing with my PC... they can.. wink hope your following.

OK so i have actually installed FF2 again, and downloaded all of the above add-ons ... ok so i like it... might take some adjustment but so far so good... however i still like ie7 and thats installed for a purpose not cos i prefer ie .. i just dont normally like having 2 programs that can do just the same thing wink but maybe i'll just keep them both for now.

*reserved space for publicity*

thanks for the support.. any other FF2 stuff would be interesting, if anybody is reading... Pol and drew have been a good help with linking to add-ons.

thanks guys hug

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Just switched over (Adblock + FS.G => Adblock Plus). Now to see if there's any difference.

1,590 posts

Posted:
O.K, i'm gonna stop reading this before my brain explodes bounce

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I just add a user with the default Fisher Price XP theme if other people are likely to use the computer (and I make use of the handy 'Windows key => L => S' shortcut to switch to the login page if I need to lock the computer because kids are around), each user also has settings for FF2. Users are handy in that respect, but an complete _ing nuisance when every user has a My Documents folder containing the same music, pictures and videos, and there is no disk space left.

XP can do the whole interface in another language with the Multi Language Interface pack (lets you switch a user's language to english and set up all the software, then switch it to something else). OSX has it built in so you don't have to buy something extra wink

I spent a while setting up an XP network for users of several languages and abilities, so ended up learning how to lock down the system so it's idiot proof (users only allowed to run specific programs, not allowed to change settings, and given a quota of disk space they can use).

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Chris Pederick's webdev FF toolbar is the best thing since ...?

?

well FF really..

turned so many dev's I knew stuck in ie based intranet dev jobs, who couldn't be assed to even look at FF, into real FF fans with that smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
IE has a web dev toolbar now as well - but I've nevr used it.

For more lockdown you could use one of the console plugins for FF.

polarity: Couldn't you just change the new user template and remove the default 'sample' files and make the users my documents directory point to the same folder for each user?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ideas for a Multi Language Interface pack? ..

as per f-ing usual windows would like WGA bundled with their version confused of Multi Language Interface pack frown

Pol as you said you have dabbled maybe you know or can point me in the right direction.

Page: