Forums > Help! > Internet Explorer 7

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm .. been trying to patch IE7 ... if your a geek then you will understand why im doing that!....

but i cant do it... confused any one know where i can find out how with the latest version?

PM me wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I've got the IE dev toolbar installed for ie7.

you can view DOM, outline various elements, validate w3c, css etc. it's useful, but very, very limited compared to the FF devbar, *no* CSS tools except 'disable all' and 'validate' for example.

the only thing it has I haven't seen before is a ruler (er, woo /sarc smile)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Sym: I had a lot of problems with windows resetting group policy changes. It's more a problem of educating the users, and getting them to do things the right way. The shared documents folder can do it, but all the software is set to use My Documents by default, and every time someone installs a new media player, it starts saving things in the wrong folders again, because they don't change the settings, and when something goes wrong with the player they just re-install it so any changes I have made tothe settings get wiped.

It's great windows having a multi user system, it'd be nice if it was implemented a bit better.

I don't think the software manufacturers give a damn, it just means someone gets to sell bigger hard drives.

Vista looks to be a real hog on resources (and I don't like running an OS on minimum spec hardware either), which is why I'm going to be avoiding it for as long as possible. I just hope OSX Leopard is something to talk about, as it didn't look like a huge improvement last time I looked.

PK: This WGA thing seems to be cropping up everywhere now I've moved to OSX, and I'm not using XP much these days except for gaming, so I don't need to keep it patched, and don't worry about WGA since I told it not to install. The MUI was a pay-for add-on when I used it (pre SP2 XP), so it didn't have WGA then. There are a couple of WGA add-ons I've installed from other sources to get around installing it though, so it might be available.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
just found those critical updates that MS dont let you have without WGA.. via autopatcher five point one

still no luck today with the duel language.. cant even find a patch or bypass for that let alone the ITALIAN pack from microsoft other than for sp1. frown

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
PK, i did an investigation a while back, XP does not support multilanguage!!
and the only way to change the language is to reinstall
Thanks M$ how forward thinking was that!!
EXCEPT that I think here is a corporate edition that could support multi language.

Customise google addin in for FF, yes, i forgot that from the list
(make google like it used to be - useful, rather than all paid and commercial results at the top.
Essentially the first 2 and all the side results in google are paid adverts, hence it is not giving you the best results, it give the results which have the most interest in making some money out of you... hmm, with the customize google add in, you turn off all the adverts! smile google how it was back when it used to be useful for finding things on the web.
good tips on sites to exclude thanks polarity

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
damn auto patch changed my wmp11 to one with WGA yet i already had wmp11 installed..

thanks Drew. hug

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
time breakdown of modern web design
https://darkmonkey.org.uk/4/Main/43

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I think it'd be cool to do an official HoPpers recomended firefox plugins thread, but which section should it be in? help? technical?

ta for the google thing, I hadn't caught that one before! smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yakumo, seeing as everyone has slightly different used for firefox and wants different things, I think the list could get very long indeed!

maybe as long as this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
good idea Yakumo:
[Old link]

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
pointing people at the moz repository doesn't help the technophobes that would like a little direction from their friends though Sym smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Fair enough - there is no harm in it. When I've pointed 'technophobes' (by that, I mean my dad) at that URL they normall find something I'd never have thought they would have wanted and think it's the best thing ever!

My point really was: there is so much, and people want so many different things that the only way everyone is going to find everything they want it be having a full list of them all. Picking out the good ones is a great idea, but what I think is good is different from what you think is good.

Anyway, I like the idea - as you'll see from my posts in that thread smile

hug

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Glåss

PK, i did an investigation a while back, XP does not support multilanguage!!
and the only way to change the language is to reinstall
Thanks M$ how forward thinking was that!!
EXCEPT that I think [t]here is a corporate edition that could support multi language.

The MUI pack can be installed any time after a normal XP (pro) install, but it's only available legitimately to people with a volume license for Windows.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

but it's only available legitimately to people with a volume license for Windows.

confused thats me out then.. unless some one can help me out wink

but i still didn't see italian in the language list on MS.com ... confused

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
beloved pk, i develop sites for a livin too.... i check for IE compliance via the IE preview tab in FF. my clients are happy with the sites so that's what counts for them.
hope your platform compliance woes are no more!
big respect for your work,
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
IE tab is amazing, under windows. There is no good way for any other platform to test in IE that I have found. There are wine ports for IE, but the layout isn't the same.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thanks bender....

wish my site was even showing up on the net... i have more server woes than code or layout problems... pips been down for 2 weeks and Tommy's never around.. i know im not paying for this server right now... but "cane di dio cane" (italian swearing for nyc wink )
just one good host please... lol.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i told you to cxome talk to me,

you know sometimes i think you dont listen to me wink

Step (el-nombrie)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Is anybody else having problems with their Hewlett Packard software, specifically the director not working, after installing IE7 ?

I've noticed IE 7 is a little slower that IE6, and it may be due to the phishing filter..anyone else heard this too ?

Likewise, I've also heard that the google toolbar that comes with IE7 contains a spellchecker, any truth to this, or do I just need to install it and see ?

While I'm on it, any suggestions for a media player to replace windows media player 11? Seems everytime windows updated this thing, it gets worse. I deleted the URGE program which came with the update, and that greatly sped up the performance of wmp11, but the layout for moving songs between playlists is just plain stupid. I already have iTunes ( hate that one too, I keep having to trick the thing to work ) and I just deleted my realplayer, seeing as how it felt like it was trying to take over my computer.

I'm thinking winamp, but it's the onlyone I've looked into so far.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
definately is slower than ie6, and yes that would be cos of the phishing filter, dont know bout the spellchecker (firefox user biggrin)
if you havent already done so, you could try and change the auto update feature of windows, it takes longer but i have mine set to notify me of updates.
I pick and choose and if I happen to get one that my pc hates, itake it out
Winamp is 1 of the few players Ive found that doesnt come with other bullsh*t programs with it. I found it good

Are you up for it?
wink;)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mech

i told you to cxome talk to me,

you know sometimes i think you dont listen to me wink

thought that you were going to PM me some gizzum... you slack santa- wink

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yep, im as slack as your arse! wink

i will pm it to you, when i get 5 mins to do it, come on man its boxing daya, dn i am the only one in the office, and working!

Step (el-nombrie)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i think i have all ya vids, mind if i host them for the greater glory of the klingon empire, pk?
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
for media players :

winamp bundled some crap at one point at least, it was optional in the installer.
oh, and that's in addition to the aol crap it had for a time..
mostly I just find it's ui annoying (whatever skin) and it's startup time annoying, and it's options far too limited, it's an audio app with extras.

gabbests 'media player classic' is fantastic, clean, fast, very configurable, plays anything you have the codecs for and plenty else besides.

I still prefer a separate thing for music though, so tend to use foobar2000 mostly as it's fast and simple.

yamipoid for ipod management.

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Euh, where's the bit on top gone that says:
File View Tools Help

I wanna copy and paste but right clicking on mouse doesn't work. In an e-mail, I can do it in Title and Subject but not in the actual mail space.

Heeeeelp!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
They hidden it, you now have to use a button.

But since drews advice i have switched to FF2 as my default browser... i still like the look of IE7 though.. even if they did hide the menu!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Bender you can put the videos where you want!, i have most of them up on myspace, but feel free to use them as you see fit.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Firetramp..to display the menu bar, put your cursor up at the top of the screen, near where the links in your links folder is..right click and click again on where it says display...menu bar. Then things will be back to the way they used to be.

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Waaaw, thank you very much bounce2 ubbrollsmile

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Page: