Forums > Social Chat > When your job breaches your union contract.....?

Login/Join to Participate

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
So, I've had a very disagreeable day at work, and I had to ask.....

If you were to discover very suddenly that your employer (*as in an entire managing staff) has been knowingly violating your union contract.... what do you do?

Do you blow the whistle on it? Do you quit? Do you willfully ignore it and continue to let yourself and your fellow employees to get taken advantage of? Do you plea bargain? Do you blackmail? I mean.... what do you do?

*exasperation*

Little help please?

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
you ask your union for assistance

are you a member of your union? if so, they will be able to provide excellent industrial advice

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I'm a member (*mentally loathes my dues*).

But, see, there's this big weirdness to things. My mum works in the same shop as I do, so it's awkward. In addition to that, this act which is a known direct breach of the contract, has apparently been common practice for quite some time. So I just don't know.

confused

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
doesn't matter if it's common practice, if it's in breach of the contract, let your union rep (if you have one) know or call your union, i dare say, if you ask to remain anonomous they won't say who told them.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

the_anti_anthonymember
36 posts

Posted:
I guess it depends whether you consider that you're being taken advantage of: if you do, blow the whistle. You can generally do it anonymously too.

I'd say you have to think about if they're taking advantage of you though: my last job, there was an expectation that I'd work more than my 38 hour week. There was also an understanding that my pay would reflect that expectation, and that if I needed to leave at lunchtime occasionally, I generally could.

On the other hand: it's a union contract, so it's not just you they're taking advantage of. I'd say you have a responsibility really to your fellow employees to let the union know. Employers will generally get as much as they can for as little as possible out of their employees, until they get called on it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The others are right...

Talk to your union representative. This is his/her job to worry about it, not yours.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

I'm a member (*mentally loathes my dues*).

Indeed. This is exactly what you're paying them for.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Ditch those clowns and come home.