Forums > Technical Discussion > Fireproof fabric suggestions/sources?

Login/Join to Participate

mfskarphedinSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
I'm planning to make a set of fire wings with aluminum framework for my friend. I would like them to be fabric and fold partially (but not all the way or the wicks would hit.)

My first problem is sourcing a fabric that is relatively lightweight and fireproof for this application, because I don't want my best friend turning in to a human torch, if you know what I mean. umm

So...any tips? Brands? Websites that will sell me about 2 yards without it being a "corporate" or wholesale deal? Shiny would also be nice.

Or should I just break down and get a really expensive fire blanket and try that... :/

Thanks!

Kristen

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mfskarphedin

I'm planning to make a set of fire wings with aluminum framework for my friend. I would like them to be fabric and fold partially (but not all the way or the wicks would hit.)

which parts do you plan on being fabric? you just stated that they'd be aluminium umm

My first problem is sourcing a fabric that is relatively lightweight and fireproof for this application, because I don't want my best friend turning in to a human torch, if you know what I mean. umm

is this fabric for protective clothing for the person to wearor as part of the wings?

So...any tips? Brands? Websites that will sell me about 2 yards without it being a "corporate" or wholesale deal? Shiny would also be nice.

no, not really sorry.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Nomex by Dupont seems the stuff to be using. Can't seem to find a price though.

Mr Majestik, i think mfskarphedin would like to put the fabric onto the wings around the aluminium framework.

My man's dad works by a company that make fireproof racing suits (https://www.racewear.co.uk/) and he was going to ask about the fabric for me. If i hear anything i'll try and remember to post it on here.

Gayle.....!

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
When I worked for parks I noticed the Fire crews wear Nomex, it's definately hardcore fire retarding stuff.
I know it's considered expensive, but it does it's job well.
The stuff I'm using for my costume (some fire pants, huzzah!) is commando cloth (AKA Duvetyne). It's fire retardent treated, and generally used as theatre draperies (although I know there are fire spinning sites that sell it), it is sold by the yard, it's lighter, more flexible than nomex (in my experience anyways)-however, definately not as fire retardent as Nomex. But if your design, utilizes the cloth not in direct contact of the flame, it's a possible suggestion.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to find a shiny/reflective fireproof material for use in costumes: does anyone have any suggestions?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
https://www.xscapesafe.com/

Probably useless, but I figured I'd throw that out there. Maybe if you're lucky these guys will let you buy materials rather than a finished product.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
thanks for that: It's a closer than much I've seen on the web - however it does seem a bit overkill and apparently is layered with fibre glass

Maybe 'fireproof' is the wrong word: I'd certainly settle for fire retardant or even flame resistant (what's in a word, eh?) if anyone has any ideas.

We've considered silver fabric paint but it lacks the durability and visual impact potential of a fabric. It also has to be reapplied every few washes

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Those outfits would be interesting, anyway... you could get a frog mask or something.

hug

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Are you prepping the fabric properly with the paint? We've just done a set of UV costumes and it has SOO many layers. Prep, 3 coats of white and the UV. Better not wash out after 3 washes!!

I actually haven't experimented with a lot of fabric yet... (it's on my to-do list) but how about the reflective strips on workmens jackets?

Sometimes it's a case of going to spotlight (or your respectic fabric store) and getting a 10cm strip of everything and burning it. We decided on paint coz I refused to cut out and then sew on everyones designs to stretchy fabric...

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
maybe we didn'nt do the fabric properly, but I found that even when layered on pretty heavily it still had a tendency to 'crack' in the wash, and after about 5 washes it had significantly faded:

however if you've gone as far as doing 3 coats of white under the UV it will probably be fine: possibly handwash only or only use very low temperatures?

I was wondering about the reflective strip stuff: and whether anybody had any experience of using it: but yeah I might try getting a bit of that and setting fire to it

Oh and good god sewing patterns onto stretchy fabric is a nightmare, even if you have a good sewing machine: although I'd be a little worried the paint would stretch and break (if its being stretched)

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Well, when my uni exams finish and after my trop to Africa and then after I've settled back home for a year of nothingness, I'll update you to all my material experiments. So maybe March? grin

I actually find lots of reflecty jackets on the side of the road (yeah, I stop and pick them up.. I'm dirty) so i could just burn them to test...

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ooh that' be good: sadly we don't have them lying around the side of the road here - I regularly dive into skips looking for bits that can be used for cosumes or given a second life - I'm a big believer in reusing where possible!

Would love an update on the material experiments, whenever you can! smile

callan_concentrateBRONZE Member
hmmm
14 posts

Posted:
Hey we use some stuff called flameguard from comapny called Tyco.
They are a big international company, should be easily available.
Comes in a spray bottle or a drum. They use it heaps in theatre to flame proof curtains etc.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Remembered this stuff.

They're using some fire resistant rubber. Apparently she likes to make outfits with the stuff.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
rubberlicious... looks sexy

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
The stuff on the site isn't my normal taste in leather/rubbber-style garments. Still interesting and probably worth looking into for normal fire proof outfits. It's probably too heavy for wings but seemed suitable for the topic.

Bearclaw mfg has some kind of fabric they use on their wings and parasols. They also sell duvetyne and "pre-ox."