Forums > Technical Discussion > HyperLight Update (21-11-2006)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Little update for you all (thought I'd start a new thread as the last one was getting a bit big!!). I've been a busy bee tonight and I now have 4 pairs of the MK4 (dare I say final?) boards soldered together... now to get something to put 'em in ready for Synergy!

Non-Https Image Link

smile

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
There is indeed some more footage, but it needs editing...

*looks at chutney*

smile

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Who? What?

Oh Yeah!

wink

Do you think it is time for the next installment Jon?

biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Could well be.. although I'd be tempted to get yourself, Yakumo and Sym together for a spin first if you get my meaning wink

Cake or Death?

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Yes, Yes.. Do Do wink

hmm... Where's old videos btw, gotta show the peeps in the swedish poi community..

( main reason for wanting vids ).

Lol, ill take care of doing the advertising over here Jon, don't worry.. Haha.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well the original video is [Old link].

I made some progress tonight... well sort of. I thought I'd got the code in place to do the button presses (at least the bit to turn them on / off). But not having my proper programming hardware I thought I'd try just uploading it across the USB port, the same way you load new sequences. It seems I have a bug because now both the poi I uploaded to just go green and sit there rolleyes

Guess I'll have to go visit my folks and upload from scratch. Ah well, would've been nice if it'd worked first go wink

[Edit] Lol, just watched the vid - still makes me chuckle [/Edit]
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1164686111)

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
cake!

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Certainly better than the alternatives... and speaking of which, I've just knocked up a first attempt at the new GUI:

Non-Https Image Link

(Apologies for the large file!)

It's pretty crude right now and half of the stuff you can see in those windows was photoshopped in, but this was more to get an idea if this is the sort of thing people would want to use?

It'll be almost exclusively drag and drop. So you start a new sequence in the bottom window and then just drag in effects and other sequences to build up your own.

The top left window will hook up to the website allowing you to download all the things other people have come up with and shared smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
great start smile

would be entirely usable once a timeline was added.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
oh, I meant to ask, you said you'd use free tools to code so anyone can get involved, what are you using? one of the free MS express editions, notepad and the intel compiler?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I was thinking I'd possibly add that as another section of the bottom window if that makes sense?

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
of course it does, did you ever play with vegas or even get to see that screenshot? smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i saw the screen shot - that gave me some inspiration smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
please please please nab the free vegas trial ( https://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=698
yes sony are evil, sadly they bought out the excellent sonicfoundry who actually made this, and soundforge) and play with it for a bit, it's the perfect example of how timeline stuff with visual and audible parts should be (yes later on I'll be bugging you about importing wav files as it's the only way to sync a sequence to music sensibly wink)

but do it tomorrow, get some SLEEP! hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I had a quick look at it this morning... first impressions are that it's incredibly slow (took ages to load) and looks very complicated. I managed to drag a video in there (admittedly across the network wink) but didn't get a lot further.

What would you draw my attention to in there? What works and what doesn't?

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
out of interest, in your hyper-staff, could you control the leds individually? or as one?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The staff would basically be the same hardware as the poi - one in each end so they'd be individually controller. I've already done the work to change the shape of the PCB so I could in fact make a couple now if anyone would be interested in testing wink

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ahhhh, so it's just two leds... one at each end?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Couldn't you switch it so the led's were in the middle?
Thus meaning on-the-spin control, easier charging and less chance of breakage?

ubbangel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
can't you just make it so that the boards are thin, with leds on each side, and all the way along the staff, like as many as you can squish in there, with batteries are either end? and immensely good diffusion and individual led control for rainbow effects? wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
and a space for storing chocolate?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
and FREE chocolate!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, free chocolate with the first 2000 purchases.

As long as the LEDs or circuits don't melt the chocolate...

Hmmm, maybe a mini cooling section to ensure cool, crisp chocolate.

Jon?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
LEDs in the middle? - Yes, that's possible but there is a problem in that the batteries need to be close to the LEDs for efficiency reasons. Also, you'd have no weight at the ends which I'm led to believe makes for rubbish staffs... maybe you could weight the ends with chocolate though? smile

LEDs all the way up the staff? - I could do that, but each LED costs £5 and you'd need a car battery on each end of the staff. At least that would solve the weight problem mentioned above! ..oh, and you'd go blind quickly wink

Chocolate storage space? - In the poi, I've already made provision for this. Note the empty half of the ball:

Non-Https Image Link

...although given the temperatures the prototypes reached at Synergy you'd have to eat it quick! I'm going to have to add some ventilation and accept that they won't be entirely water tight!

Free chocolate? - Yes, free chocolate for everyone tomorrow wink

Hope that answers a few questions? smile

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
each led is only a fiver? cheaper than an aerotech ultimate then, even if you had 100. wink

more brighteness is always a good thing, if it's too bright you can turn it down... but if it's too dim you're screwed.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hehe, how very true!

I think one LED in each end will be more than enough though. You've seen HyperLights in action right? wink

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
From what I've seen, even with 2 LEDs the staffs would be 10 times brighter than aerotech staffs. smile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
only early prototypes. Can't really tell from video... I've seen the ultimate staff and it's pretty bright. Not as bright as it should be, but brighter definately.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
All good points.. I don't know what the new 'ultimate' staffs are like brightness wise although I'd obviously be intrigued to see one smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
well it's insanely slow to load up if you have background virus scanning checking every file it hits... and I'd probably suggest disabling the media manager (options -> preferences -> general tab, 6th check box from the bottom).

but it's a hell of a lot faster both to load, and more importantly use... than any version of adobe premier.. or any other full featured video suite I've tried (lots)

anyway, things to try to check out the UI :

drag an audio free vid onto the timeline, (or any vid then delete the audio) import a wav file (or more you can stack loads), add other video clips in, zoom in/out on your timeline (+/- at the end of the scrollbar)

try adding some video FX's (see tabs bottom left) or Transition (help covers it well if stuck)

video codec of the vid you import can massively effect performance, as can filesize, and ...pulling it live over a network, lol smile

PS. now you've got a decent package to do the next hyperlight promo vid tongue

ubblove

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I dunno, you give them poi, they demand a staff :rolleyes:

The 'problem' with the video was that the hyperlights were so bright my camera tended to pick up all the light in such a way that it made it look white- the colours don't come out that well on the footage. I'm looking into getting a filter for my video camera to resolve the problem, but I dare say some of it will see the light of day at some point smile

Page: ...