Forums > Technical Discussion > HyperLight Update (21-11-2006)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Little update for you all (thought I'd start a new thread as the last one was getting a bit big!!). I've been a busy bee tonight and I now have 4 pairs of the MK4 (dare I say final?) boards soldered together... now to get something to put 'em in ready for Synergy!

Non-Https Image Link

smile

Cake or Death?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Bah, nothing's unrepairable

wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
ubblol I ubblove you Bov, you King of Duck Tape!

Gayle.....!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
See the pics, The internal power connector that's soldered onto the motherboard has a metal pin (that the external part of the PSU goes around when it's plugged in) held in place by a plastic housing (all one component) the housing broke as did the metal piece connecting the pin to the motherboard, last time I'd superglued up the plastic to hold it all in place, and soldered across the damaged metal, but something clearly went wrong after several months as it overheated, the plastics melted (to the point gluing it wont hold it in the correct position any more, see the powerpin pic, the pins in my hand and where it goes is central, just under the metal screw hole) and I don't have faith in the soldered metal point anyway, it needs a new component so it can be soldered onto the board, and a new psu to plug into said component, so it all makes a clean connection and is electrically safe.

This means I only get to check mail & HoP when I can kick someone off the TV where my old desktop's plugged in :/

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I had a look at the pics.

It's not often I say this, but I think that is indeed something that duck tape can't fix frown

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ok, I've got a John's permission to vnc to my old machine from his when he's not in, so I've got slightly better access to some of my stuff, but no sound and no dev tools :-/

Hyperlight could you change the square brackets in the thread title to () <> or {}, I'm guessing it's the [] that are causing the thread to be repoted as being called "re: " in the emails and when it hits the front page for a bit when it's the last posted in thread.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
There's always epoxy resin.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'd thought of that, it has to be held perfectly central and last time I'd fixed it I was relying on the fact the 2 plastic parts of the broken component lined up for that, I'd even used splints to reinforce it. but now it's melted it would be exceptionally hard to keep it aligned as it set.

it's the solder accross the snapped metal that had given in after the first fix, not totally, but enough to short it to overheat (it snapped at the side of the component, not at the point the component touches the motherboard).

Hyperlight reckons he can get me a part, and if I'm worried about fitting it I'll have to see if i can get him to help with that too smile

ta loads for trying to help hug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Can't you just solder the cable directly on to the board, duct tape the cable to the case (so it doesn't pull on the solder) and add some generic power fitting to the cable later on?

I'm using blutack to hold my power cable in at the moment - I really should get round to soldering it!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
was there any chance of managing to get a light on the end of the socks: I still don't like the idea of an invisible bit of poi at the end of the sock...

The tails look sweeet though!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
As far as I'm aware the bottom of the sock will be less lit up but won't be invisible. I asked the same question a few months back, and was assured the ends will be visible.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
lol, I've been saying this till I'm blue in the face and then wondering why I've bothered as most people don't seem to care when they see them live,

you've made me feel better now biggrin

the prototypes are in little opaque pots, so you end up with the dead zone, this is solely due to the lack of a good cheep clear alternative.

The final sphere design will be clear, so, though it still up lights, there should be enough ambience from refraction & reflection to eliminate most if not all of the dead effect seen on the end of the prototypes.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'd guess the dim bit of the ball at the end will be a bit brighter than an aerotech juggling ball wink

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
What they said smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks for the quick replies! I remember mentioning this when I had a play with them at Fal5, the 'dead zone' really concerned me a lot! but if they're even lit up a little that should be ok, just so long as I can keep tabs on it and make sure it's not going into my face.... cos hyperlights are so bright they destroy any night vision you might have!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
With the earlier protos is was an issue, but I had no problems with the cones at all- it felt just like playing with my orange hyperloop cones smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
morning. after being charmingly wink sent here by chut, i'll ask the same question again...

whats the projected release date, and can i sign up to be sponsored wink ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Sorry Rob- tongue was firmly placed in cheek.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mine too wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You can let me come and live in your eco-paradise and I'll let you borrow mind from time to time ubbangel

I think the only real answer is 'when they are done'. The Hyperlights I have at the moment are really really great, but they are not ready to be sold IMHO.

I know Jon was talking about them being out by March, but somehow I'd say it'll be later than that (not though any fault of Jons, other than making sure they are really good before selling them).

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
The Polycarb housings have taken quite a bit of work and are probably one of the key factors in the poi release date.

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
mmm...i spent the weekend with the pleasure of spinning these babies and wow, just wow is all i can say smile very kool and videos and photos do absolutley no justice to them in person

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I'm so jelous! I want to spin them too =) I imagine them suiting my style so well ( Used to go to raves and stuff before, so the body movement I try to adapt is inspired from that, most likely ) Which would suit these rave-like babies like the hand in the glove.

Umm.. I hope that made sense.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Projected release date is (as ever) a few months away... but progress is definitely being made and already they're feeling much more like what I would consider to be a polished product that I'd be happy releasing. One of the problems with releasing the final version is that I'm a perfectionist trying to address a fairly varied market... which makes for some fairly interesting challenges wink

Polycarb housings are indeed one of the bigger stumbling blocks that still need to be overcome. I'm certainly making progress on that front though. I had a design that was ready... and then decided that AA batteries would actually be far better for weight and battery life issues (the two biggest complaints I'd heard where that the current versions didn't last long enough and were a little on the light side).

I'll be posting back the updated versions tomorrow most probably so that Yakumo and Sym get them back in time for Synergy. It's all a bit of a mad rush though as I'm trying to move flats in two evenings! I had originally planned to spend most of this week doing it, but being ill and lying on a sofa for two days scuppered that plan rolleyes

I had another crack at a gaffer taped HyperStaff over the weekend which was more fun than I'd expected.. maybe there's something to this staffing afterall wink

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
oh, was it YOU that gave me this cripping flu/fever thing then? I've been doing the same thing the last 2 days frown

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
yeah the bugger gave it to me too frown

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
*tries to act innocent...*

*...COUGH COUGH COUGH...*

Damnit! Foiled again frown

Cake or Death?

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
when will these beasties be out?im getting to the point of despartion lol!

to many freaks to little circuses!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Ah, the eternal question... well the answer is soon(ish)! These are the tasks remaining before I can start selling them:

1) Resolve the last electrical problem I'm aware of which is stopping the accelerometers working properly
2) Finish re-designing the housings to fit the new AA batteries (they were going to use AAAs before, but I decided the battery life wasn't up to scratch and a lot of people thought they were too light!).
3) Register HyperLights as a business
3) Choose companies to make / assemble the electronic components, the housings and the material socks.
4) Raise a large wad of cash.
5) Make the things.

I genuinely believe they'll be available this summer smile

Cake or Death?

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
wave Jon, you went quiet for a while there!

Written by: *HyperLight

I genuinely believe they'll be available this summer smile

In that case I'll take one set hand delivered at Play ubbangel

Sounds like you really are coming to the last stages, especially with the talk of registering the business and finding suppliers etc. All sounds very promising hurrah!! hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy both with my full time job and HyperLights (my other full time job!) smile

It certainly feels like it's finally starting to come together though!

Cake or Death?

Page: ...