Hermana_del_absurdoBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
First things first, I need to explain the situation I'm in. It's sunday morning, I have a hell of a headache and bandages over my hand and elbow.
On Friday, I rode to school, as normal and I hit a car. I wasn't concerntrating and I hit the car and ended up in the middle of the road, unconscious. I don't remember anything from then on but my mum filled in the rest. I was dragged off the road by one of my school teachers, who had driven past on the way to school. The ambulance and the police were called and I was taken in the ambulance to the Emergancy room. I had my head and neck x-rayed, which came up clear, thank god. My bike helmet was cracked and smashed, and the nurses were surprised I hadn't done more to my head. I grazed the skin off my right elbow and some of my left hand.
Over the last two days, after I was discharged on Friday afternoon, I've kinda been in a daze. What happened to me hadn't sunk in yet and as I went to sleep, everything just hit me and I started to cry. I haven't really stopped since and I'm not sure if I can deal with school tomorrow or even work.
Has anyone been through this? Does anyone have an suggestions to help?

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
hug hug

I think you are likely experiencing a kind of shock, which is natural after such an event. Usually it goes away, in time. How long varies person to person, situation to situation...I have been in a few accidents- and more than a few traumatic incidents- and the good news is that even when it seems impossible to imagine, time really does heal! It will get better!

Things that might help:talk about your feelings with your friends and family,and/or write them down. Do things that are soothing for yourself, relaxing baths,deep breathing, tea, listening to a favorite song--whatever works for you.

It is okay to take a break while you adjust , if thats what you feel you need. It is a big shock to come so close to death and/or injury. Often such times may be used posatively as an opportunity for reflection, helping people realize what is truly important in their lives. A chance to make any changes needed to realign oneself with that new awareness, or simply to appreciate and give thanks for what you have.

No idea if you have any interest in this sort of thing, but there is a Bach flower essence called " rescue remedy" used for healing abrupt emotional trauma. It is completely safe, working on a purely energetic level. Does not matter if the result is considered by some to be placebo or not-- I have seen it work wonders many a time. It is inexpensive and pretty readily available at any herbal store.

You will probably need to do some stretching for a while, and your body will need some nurturing! Hitting the ground with such force is brutal. Gentle exercise like yoga,once you are able, can help the body to get rid of the aches, and realign if necessary. Good for the mind too! A doctor, physio or yoga instructor can help with that if you dont know where to start.

It has only been a few days, so I would not worry about crying a lot just yet! Let yourself.It is very normal and healthy response. But if it persists over, lets say , weeks , or gets too intense instead of better-- thats when you might want to seek some help handling post traumatic stress. But I bet, and wish for you, that you will feel better soon!

Good luck!

hug2

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hug ditto

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
My sister was knocked off her bike a few years ago and she stopped her fall with her head. She grazed off a lot of skin on her forehead and got concussion along with a damaged shoulder and arm. It took her a few weeks to get over the fuzzy head feeling and a long time for her body to heal. She had small bits of grit working their way to the surface of her skin for ages afterwards. She went through all the things and more that you discribed up above. She is now fine. I get more tearful if we ever talk about the event than she does now. I could have lost her that day and that realisation still sometimes pulls me up short.

If it's doing that to me about my sister so long after the event it is no wonder that so soon after your accident you are feeling the effects.

BansheeCat talks a lot of sense. Listen to her.

hug
I'm glad you only had minor injuries and I hope that very soon you feel back like your old self again.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Hermana_del_absurdoBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Thankyou, all of you. It really helps to know that I'm not the only one to have been through this kind of thing.
I went to school today, but I found it pretty hard. I'm going to have tomorrow off, because it's still too much for me to handle. Especially when I get the jerks who say I should have been smarter and not got in the way of the car.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it's your body coming down off survival mode...and deciding whether or not to go into another...

all these chemicals like adrenaline and endorphins and all the 'ines

the shock is if your body decides it's still not safe and cuts off blood flow to your extremities

the fact that you are crying makes me think posttraumatic stress disorder, your body trying to figure out what the hell just happened because that sure as anything was not supposed to be

follow the above advice for calming your mind and your body should follow

edit: and i realize everything i said already been said
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1164036401)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I have nothing useful to say...

but hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

the_anti_anthonymember
36 posts

Posted:
I haven't had any really bad accidents yet (touch wood), but I've had a lot of minor ones. The worst part for me (mentally) is always coming down off the adrenalin an hour or so later. However, it doesn't sound like that's your problem. My feeling is your body's realised what happenned, and now your brain's running through the whole thing, and what could have happenned?

I'd generally agree with what BansheeCat said, though I would also suggest trying to stay in your usual routine as much as you can. You have to accept what happenned as one of the unfortunate parts of life: blocking it out or dwelling on it too much are both unhealthy.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
You were hit by a car so you're teacher thought it was a great idea to drag you along the ground?

"I had my head and neck x-rayed, which came up clear, thank god."

Thank god indeed.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ditto
hug

glad your ok but in that situation she should have stopped traffic and called emergency help,as a safety critical trained first aider that made me wince.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
just scanned through these posts and i'm glad your ok and by the sounds of it your going to live wink

from my poit of view youve just come to the point where your no longer a teenager and you've realised your not indestructable. i've had a few crashes on bikes and pedal cycles and it dose tent to mess you up when you manage to walk away with a few scratches or a broken toe so your not the only one feeling that way. advice i'd give you, get back on the horse (metaphoricle horse), don't fear it and ride with a little less haste hug

* and to think i could have just put "suck it up and get back on your bike" ubbangel

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
good point about the indestructableness

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed